1.9TDI Which one to go for?

I am looking at buying a Mk1 Octavia but at the moment I am unsure which variant to go for and thought that this just might be the place to ask :biggrin:

So I currently drive a Mk1 Yaris 1.0 16V, which is fine around town, but in the next coming month my Mileage is about to double/triple annually as I am changing jobs. Most of the new mileage will be going via M2/M25/M1 both ways every fortnight. So around an extra 12,000 miles per year.

Because of this increase in mileage, and the longer new commute to my new place of work, I am looking at a Diesel. Also with there being a few hundred miles inbetween locations, I would like the ability to move alot of "junk" around. Yes It means I will be paying to lug it around, but if I need it, it will be with me! Something else a small Yaris, isn't particularly good at!

So I am used to my Mk1 Fabias, I have had 6 of them, but I feel that ive done that now, would like some more space and would like to look at getting an Octavia, and there lies the problem! there are quite a Few!

The main dilemma I keep finding myself thinking about is an early 110 TDI with a 5 Speed vs a PD130 with a 6 Speed.

Ive had a PD130 Fabia vRS before (which was already mapped to around 170 when I bought it) and to me, it was really well suited to having the 6th gear. So from a fuel economy point of view and driver comfort (so its not revving its head off), going to a 5 speed, isnt very welcome! I would prefer the 6th Gear. But is it really needed? Has anyone here had one of each and can comment on their real world MPG figures? Also are the overall ratios on the 5spd/6spd similar? i.e. is 70 mph the same engine RPM on both boxes? (this would eliminate my concern of a noiser, higher revving journey)

But none the less I am trying to find an Octy with the following options, but it is quite the challenge finding one local to my current home (Medway)

£2000 budget

Mk1 Octy Estate (Desired, but I suppose a Hatch would do)

No more that 150K miles

PD 130 with 6 Speed (unless a 110 5spd is advised)

Cruise Control, AC and the usual bits like Electric Windows etc.

Any Suggestions/Opinions are welcome on perhaps which one I should be looking at :)

Edited by Taylor93

Ha! I did see one about 15 miles away on Autotrader the other day, but it had 213k on the clock! :o Impressive that they are capable of that type of mileage. but I would be looking at selling at that mileage, not buying! haha.

I want a Cheap to buy, reliable, comfortable to drive, cheap to fuel (tax isnt so much of an issue to me) box which can get me and my stuff where ever I need to go! :D

But... without going to the level of Felicia 1.9D... because I would actually like to get to places this century !

• Like 1

My 1st Škoda was a MKI Octavia Elegance (hatch) 110 TDi, this used to return 60mpg no matter how I drove with ease (Folkestone to Snodland) when I changed to a MKI Superb 130 PD it dropped to around  55mpg on the same route.

I would look out for a 110 Elegance the estate boot is no bigger than the hatch apart from the windows upwards obviously. 

• Like 1

Driving the 110 TDi, did you ever find yourself thinking "hmmm i need more Ooomfff!", trying to make progress on the Motorway with my Yaris is quite a tough challenge, that said it is a city car not a motorway cruiser.

Also.. does anyone know how easy it is to install Cruise control on a 110 TDi Octy?

1 minute ago, Taylor93 said:

Driving the 110 TDi, did you ever find yourself thinking "hmmm i need more Ooomfff!", trying to make progress on the Motorway with my Yaris is quite a tough challenge, that said it is a city car not a motorway cruiser.

Also.. does anyone know how easy it is to install Cruise control on a 110 TDi Octy?

no more or less difficult than the retrofit for a Fabia IIRC

Just now, Lee01 said:

no more or less difficult than the retrofit for a Fabia IIRC

I have read somewhere on here that VAG discontinued the Harness kit, but that was a 2011 post. Any ideas?

Not in the slightest, it actually was pretty nippy and never struggled overtaking.

The test dive was ‘interesting’ as the owner proceeded to join the M1 southbound (from Hemel Hempstead), by the time we got onto the M1 we were into 3 figures!

I traded UP from a 1996 BMW 323i (2.5L) Coupé and it was fine! 

I had cruise fitted by an ex forum member (Škoda master tech) and it took him about an hour / hour and a half if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taylor93 said:

I have read somewhere on here that VAG discontinued the Harness kit, but that was a 2011 post. Any ideas?

No mate, sorry. @Tech1e may know more but I would have thought there'd be plenty of stalks and looms available from scrapped cars or on ebay. Then just code it in.

I guess anything will be an upgrade in terms of performance than my Yaris, an amazing 68 bhp from its 1.0 16V but only 90NM (66 ft-lb) compared to the 110 TDi's 235NM (173 ft-lb), it will be like entering warp speed! :D

so as a 110 seems to be a sensible choice... what about the gearbox? Is there a massive difference in driving the 5 speeds vs the 6 speeds? I suppose if the overall ratios are similar, then motorway cruising in top gear, you wouldnt notice a difference. Correct?

Not sure about the 5 speed to 6 speed difference as both of my MKI Superb’s (130PD) had the 5 speed box as well, but they certainly didn’t over rev at motorway speeds

I would steer clear of the beige interior if possible as a/ it looks sh*te b/ would not be ideal for a work tool.

This looks ideal and low mileage:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701181433156?sort=mileage&fuel-type=Diesel&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=2000&postcode=me59pw&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=SKODA&keywords=elegance&radius=1500&model=OCTAVIA&page=1

That link doesnt seem to be working either :/ 

As an alternative I have been looking at Mk4 Golf Estates (identical platform afterall) and they seem to be a better tailored inside... i.e. less of the beige :D

Edited by Taylor93

I have a 2002 110 Bhp elegance estate, and have to say it's one of the easiest, most comfortable cars I've owned. The 110's are a bit tougher than the pd engines and there is less electronically in the engine to go wrong. Both have there plus and minuses though. Mine returns around town around 45mpg and on a long run fully loaded and towing a trailer around 55-60mpg. I can only comment on the 5 speed at the moment, (as 6 speed waiting to be fitted). It sits at 70 no problem with the rpm at (I don't actually know) I can't actually say I know, as it's never seemed to be loud or scream along. I seem to have found one that was fairly well optioned, as mine has cc, false boot floor, centre armrest and was very low miles when I bought it. It's only now on 104K. It's nowhere near how it was when I got it now, but that's just my choice.

Well, the 110 is geared to about 30mph/1000 rpm in top; with the 6-speed the 130 is geared to about 35mph/k.

The biggest issue with the 110 is things like, say, Toyota Yaris ;) not accelerating in front of you!

As to trim colours, rather than the beige leatherfest that is the usual L&K interior, most Elegance were grey fabric with charcoal carpet, and 5 rather than 7 spoke alloys, but still plip locking, 4 electric windows, leccy sunroof, radio-cassette head and CD stacker, front fogs. Or there are some late Ambiantes with the 130.

I have a 130PD L&K trim, with dark coloured leather, upholstry and furnishings, and dark panels (Anthracite, is it?) which looks like a load of air bubbles under a mobile phone screen protector.

But pretty good, nonetheless, so L&K isn't all the beige two-tone yack. :D

18 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

I have a 130PD L&K trim, with dark coloured leather, upholstry and furnishings, and dark panels (Anthracite, is it?) which looks like a load of air bubbles under a mobile phone screen protector.

But pretty good, nonetheless, so L&K isn't all the beige two-tone yack. :D

Which is why I said "usual beigefest"; The OP might be lucky and find the rare black leather option too.

3 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Which is why I said "usual beigefest"; The OP might be lucky and find the rare black leather option too.

I dunno what the previous owner was thinking, hooning this car round a building site, but I feel luckier to own it with each passing day!!

The PD130 will have slightly higher gearing as Ken says above but this won't make a massive difference to economy. Obviously if you're planning on driving regularly on the Autobahn at higher speeds then the 130 is the obvious choice.

Both sound just fine for you. The PD130 would be my preferred engine due to the extra torque lower down and the higher gearing.

But if you find the right car and it has the 110 engine don't let it put you off.

19 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Well, the 110 is geared to about 30mph/1000 rpm in top; with the 6-speed the 130 is geared to about 35mph/k.

The biggest issue with the 110 is things like, say, Toyota Yaris ;) not accelerating in front of you!

As to trim colours, rather than the beige leatherfest that is the usual L&K interior, most Elegance were grey fabric with charcoal carpet, and 5 rather than 7 spoke alloys, but still plip locking, 4 electric windows, leccy sunroof, radio-cassette head and CD stacker, front fogs. Or there are some late Ambiantes with the 130.

Yes, my 130 sits at a nadgers over 2k rpm when cruising at 70 in 6th. I average just shy of 57mpg according to Fuelio, including the town driving I do. I do around 600 miles per week just on motorways and the car tells me I get around 60-62 mpg on those journeys. The car has been remapped btw

I've got an Ambiente SE and it has cruise control, AC (no climate but it was available I believe), electric windows etc., ticks the boxes you listed anyway.

52 minutes ago, abo said:

Yes, my 130 sits at a nadgers over 2k rpm when cruising at 70 in 6th. I average just shy of 57mpg according to Fuelio, including the town driving I do. I do around 600 miles per week just on motorways and the car tells me I get around 60-62 mpg on those journeys. The car has been remapped btw

I've got an Ambiente SE and it has cruise control, AC (no climate but it was available I believe), electric windows etc., ticks the boxes you listed anyway.

I missed that L&K and Elegance both have Climatronic as standard too. Anyway, the main point was that if you don't like beige the main thing you arguably miss out on with the Elegance vs the L&K110 is having the interior wrapped in cheap leather.