Fabia II Headlight Challenge

Fitted the brighter halogens on mine. Philips or osram.  Can't remember now.  Also upgraded the sides, fogs and driving lights to led.  The Leds made the most difference. I always have the front fogs on with headlights or side lights as they give a good spread on the road. 

a long time ago my wife had a corsa with old fashioned 'cut glass' style headlamps that were upgraded to fake projector rubbish on the next model.

the fake projector ones were much worse - they were atrocious.

i wonder if we'd be better off with the old style fabia lights - not the monte carlo projectors?

anyone tried one with traditional lights? do they fit?

Edited by TopGearTVR
error

i always love a good forum slap "Maybe take the advice those that have tried various things are giving you.". I already tried better lamps but the lights are still rubbish.

The below was taken from the dept for transports website: "In summary it is not permitted to convert a halogen headlamp unit for use with hid bulbs..... The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bubs"

My question was well founded, based upon experience of another car. I hear your experience on the fabia was that the cut glass lights were also rubbish.

Is that the view of others too?

I would also say that HiDs are obvious whereas higher wattage halogens aren't. This, when allied to glass lenses might be a way forward?

Monte Carlos have been on sale since 2011 and the first complaints on the headlights were about the day after the driver had driven them at night.

Loads and loads have tried just about everything to improve Monte Carlo lighting since and vRS and the various other models.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:26, TopGearTVR said:
i always love a good forum slap "Maybe take the advice those that have tried various things are giving you.". I already tried better lamps but the lights are still rubbish.

The below was taken from the dept for transports website: "In summary it is not permitted to convert a halogen headlamp unit for use with hid bulbs..... The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bubs"

My question was well founded, based upon experience of another car. I hear your experience on the fabia was that the cut glass lights were also rubbish.

Is that the view of others too?

I would also say that HiDs are obvious whereas higher wattage halogens aren't. This, when allied to glass lenses might be a way forward?

You're correct about converting headlights to run HID's, but it's a grey area when the headlight in question is a projector headlight, which is used (in conjunction with dynamic levelling and headlight wash) To conform to DoT guidelines. But, I've had several cars using projector headlamps as standard (halogen only) and fitted HID's and never had an issue with MOT's or the police. I'll add I'd never fit HID's to a standard headlamp as they're designed to use reflected light, whereas the projector lamp is designed to create the beam pattern through the "projector lens"

This topic has been done to death on the forum. FWIW ive tried various different "upgraded" halogen bulbs in the vRS headlight projectors with barely any improvement over stock. Took the plunge and went for a Xenon HID kit and it's an absolute revelation. Only solution to the problem imho. Yes it's technically illegal mod as the whole headlight unit isn't type approved/e-marked or whatever but there you go. Far safer than the stock bulbs and never been flashed by anyone for dazzling. No MOT issues either, sailed through its first one a few days ago with the HID kit fitted. No comment was passed and no advisory etc either. Very happy with the HID conversion, would recommend!