Some help with tyre choices please.

Lynz

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice please. I've recently purchased a 2011 skoda fabia Vrs automatic. Now this may not be a popular question but if I wanted to change away from a sports profile tyre what would you recommend? The car currently has 215/40ZR17 87Y fitted, but I'm looking to smooth the drive a little and not feel every lump and bump on the road (I'm getting old.) I also do not have private parking and all cars where I live end up half on the pavement, the bump up and down the kerb is not good on such a low profile.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Lynz

Welcome.

Your car might be on lowering springs, modded suspension or just tired suspension if original from 2011.

So you need to have that checked out. The ride might only change by changing the suspension.

The previous keeper seems to have already changed from the standard tyre size which is 205/40 R17.

Likely to try & improve the ride and traction.

(so you have bigger tyres on than the car comes from the factory with.)

215/40 R17 is about as good as 205/45 R 17 on a vRS, and going to 16" rims and tyres like 215/45 R 16 is unlikely to be much better.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

?

So what brand of tyres are the 215/40 ZR17 87Y?

If Pirelli Zero Nero then they are a hard ride, as they are in 205/40R 17.

?

What tyre pressure do you have the tyres at.

The bump up and down kerbs is never going to be good on a Mk2 Fabia vRS so take real care doing it, the front plastic is vulnerable.

(& might be illegal some time soon anyway.)

These are good for ride comfort and good in the cold and wet but do not have very strong sidewalls and might not suit you for the Summer.

Maxxis AP11 All Season (All Weathers) in 215/40 R 17 with correct Load & Speed Rating.

DSCN1295.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Thanks Offski.

The current tyres are Hankook ventus v12 evo 2 on the front and vredestein ultrac sessanta on the back. I don't know the current pressure. This is what I bought it with and I'm a new driver so not much experience with what is good/bad for this type of car. I must say I love the car itself just hoping for a bit of a smoother journey. If the best thing is to get the suspension looked at then that's what I'll do.

Thanks

Lynz

New driver in a mk2 vrs? Get used to the car and driving in general before you experiment with that throttle :D

ive changed my tyres to 205/45 and it's made a slight difference in comfort not much though. 

Edited by LGM

18 minutes ago, LGM said:

New driver in a mk2 vrs? Get used to the car and driving in general before you experiment with that throttle :D

ive changed my tyres to 205/45 and it's made a slight difference in comfort not much though. 

I nearly bought a mk2 vRS as well for my first car as  it was actually £80 cheaper to get insured on it than my tdi Monte for some reason. 

Edited by AMD87
  • Like 1

2011 VRS in Warrington, was excited that it could have been my old car... But i didn't sell mine with those tyres fitted.

If you're looking for a smooth ride, i'd look at changing the wheels to 16" so you can get large profile tyres. If i'm honest, the VRS's suspension is pretty hard and it does crash about.

You might have no problem getting a swap for 16" Alloys and tyres, or just buy some in the BRISKODA For Sale Section.

& store the 17's

But i would think it is better to get a loan of someones spare set, winters or what ever in a 16".

Reason for this is many of us here will have used 16" Wheels & Tyres on a vRS and found very little different in comfort level.

215/40 R 17 as you have on should be quite good as they are.

Important you do not drive as someone else set your tyre pressures, that is a risk too far, they might be over or under inflated.

The recommended pressures are in the Filler Flap.

Maybe try 33 psi front and rear and see how that feels.

Then reset the TPMS.

If you like that stick with it or try different pressures as per the range that is safe for your car.

(When you change tyre pressures reset the TPMS each time.)

Edited by Offski

Thanks Offski,

I'll be checking the tyre pressure to make sure it's safe, the place we bought it from assured us it was correctly set up, but I agree it's safer to check, just not had much time to sort it yet. It's early days with the car and just thought I'd ask about the tyres ahead of needing to change them (they're in excellent condition really).

Thanks for all the help, this forum is excellent :)

After almost 50000kms I have just changed from the original Continentals to Bridgestone re003. They seem much smoother, I suppose because as you wear tyres down, you loose rubber and hight and some give. Also the re003's have some serious grip!!

I have the 16" alloys on my TDi 105 which came with 205/45/16 tyres which I found too hard (I too am getting on a bit). I've just purchased a set of nice sticky firestone TZ300s in 205/55/16s for £192 delivered for 4 which for the price you won't get a better tyre. Low road noise & brilliant grip in all conditions the only trouble is the fronts will only last 10000miles.