2011 vrs ?

Hi just bought a vrs and have a few questions 

thinking on a MFSW -could someone tell me exactly what I need to do the swap with part numbers 

no radio info on cluster? Something that can be added ? 

Down the line I'd like to install a RNS510,is it just the unit,new fascia/gps aerial ? (And a few vcds tweaks) 

,has the bolero fitted atm,so would it be a straight swap ? 

TIA 

Not sure about the MFSW or part numbers, but I guess it might be relevant what year the car is etc. (Edit: Just seen it's in the topic title, 2011).

Also, the RNS510 is the VW version head unit. The Skoda version is called Columbus, and has a few different tweaks etc. relevant to Skoda.

Edited by Rustynuts

Basically, new surround to suit the new shape of the Columbus, GPS antenna mounted somewhere above the unit, connect it all up and install it in the dash, then a bit of coding with vcds. If you were going for the DAB Columbus then there's the new DAB antenna to fit which sort of complicates matters a little. When you're thinking of going ahead with it, let me know as I have a couple of units in the workshop.

4 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Basically, new surround to suit the new shape of the Columbus, GPS antenna mounted somewhere above the unit, connect it all up and install it in the dash, then a bit of coding with vcds. If you were going for the DAB Columbus then there's the new DAB antenna to fit which sort of complicates matters a little. When you're thinking of going ahead with it, let me know as I have a couple of units in the workshop.

I will do,could be a while as I'm skint after buying the car lol 

thanks 

59 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

I've retrofitted all those things.

My advice would be to buy a mk3 steering wheel as the mk2 one s awful.

Go for a dab Columbus as they are great and integrate with the car very well.

Rusty nuts is the man for this as he mentions above

Do you know part numbers for MFSW and any other bits needed ? 

Thanks 

7 hours ago, tubbytommy said:

I've retrofitted all those things.

My advice would be to buy a mk3 steering wheel as the mk2 one s awful.

The one thing I miss from my old car after going to the pre-FL vRS II is the buttons on the steering wheel. I'm forever reaching with my thumb then going "bo*****s" every time I want to change track on the CD, retune the radio or adjust the volume.  I saw a new vRS in the show room that had a full on leather vRS steering wheel with all the buttons and scroll wheel for doing the business. It was perfect other than it had a flat spot at the bottom (I prefer my wheels round.) I asked the dealer and they said it couldn't be fitted to my car. Reading the above, I suspect that information may be wrong but I'm not expecting the programming to be easy for someone like me who hasn't used VCDS before.

Is there a leather vRS steering wheel with radio controls that you would recommend for the pre-FL Mk.II please? It has the Stream radio in it right now but, if I can find one, I would definitely consider upgrading it to a Bolero. Sadly, it doesn't have the Maxidot but rather the simple LCD display in the cluster.

Thanks.

Edited by Papfox

16 hours ago, Papfox said:

The one thing I miss from my old car after going to the pre-FL vRS II is the buttons on the steering wheel. I'm forever reaching with my thumb then going "bo*****s" every time I want to change track on the CD, retune the radio or adjust the volume.  I saw a new vRS in the show room that had a full on leather vRS steering wheel with all the buttons and scroll wheel for doing the business. It was perfect other than it had a flat spot at the bottom (I prefer my wheels round.) I asked the dealer and they said it couldn't be fitted to my car. Reading the above, I suspect that information may be wrong but I'm not expecting the programming to be easy for someone like me who hasn't used VCDS before.

Is there a leather vRS steering wheel with radio controls that you would recommend for the pre-FL Mk.II please? It has the Stream radio in it right now but, if I can find one, I would definitely consider upgrading it to a Bolero. Sadly, it doesn't have the Maxidot but rather the simple LCD display in the cluster.

Thanks.

20170128_141755_zpshvnj2mps.jpg

Fits fine and I went for non flat bottom version.

Don't trust the dealer ;)

It requires Maxidot. 

Edited by tubbytommy
  • Like 1

Thank you.

I would have thought my dealer would have been enthusiastic for anything that made me give them money. Do you have a part number for it please?

6 hours ago, Papfox said:

Thank you.

I would have thought my dealer would have been enthusiastic for anything that made me give them money. Do you have a part number for it please?

Sorry I don't. 

As my car had a mfsw fitted prior to me buying the mk3 version all I needed to do was buy the appropriate airbag via ebay and some superb mk3 mfsw buttons. 

No coding via vcds is required for me but if you didnt have a mfsw I think you require a new steering wheel controller plus vcds coding.

There are only two versions of the wheel,dsg which has paddles and non dsg with no paddles.

Edited by tubbytommy
  • Like 1

Thank you.

I thought the steering wheel controller was part of the steering wheel. Is it a separate lump? This is starting to look like a big, expensive and complicated job.

How hard is it to switch the airbag safely and will I need a new one or will the one from my original vRS steering wheel fit? I enjoy target shooting and I'm nervous about messing around with the airbags unless I understand what I'm doing as I know very well how much injury a few grams of gunpowder can cause.

no the controller is seperate as my car had factory fitted mfsw and dsg paddles it was a straight swap as yours hasnt you will need a new controller and some vcds coding.

its really not that complicated, i have retro fitted nearly every option that my car didnt have and prior to owning the car i have had no experience of any vag car or vcds.

i just serch the forums for the info required, whatever the job somebody somewhere will have done it.

• 3 weeks later...

What about an Android Greg, I'm looking to upgrade the Bolero as I want Sat Nav and Bluetooth the Columbus doesn't come with BT, glad I got the maxidot will intergrate nicely.

Been looking at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110970750896?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

AFAIK, the Android ones talk with the CANBUS and allow maxidot and wheel intergration, I want OBD on it as well as BT, Nav etc.

I like the Bolero though and have just managed to get it to read an SD Card, if it had Bluetooth as well I'd be happy with that, I usually find my way with Sat Nav and the OBD I have a spare phone.

Hows the car going? Mines good but really loses traction in 2nd, tyres are poop ;-)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gizmo98 said:

Going to stick the Columbus DAB into it bill(when funds allow) 

but want to get maxidot and steering wheel sorted first 

This is a good choice but not cheap.

Everything will be oem and intergrates well.

I'd p.m. Eddie nl as he will advise you on what you need and will probably have the bits and fit too.

Edited by tubbytommy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, T2000 said:

AFAIK, the Android ones talk with the CANBUS and allow maxidot and wheel intergration, I want OBD on it as well as BT, Nav etc.

I like the Bolero though and have just managed to get it to read an SD Card, if it had Bluetooth as well I'd be happy with that, I usually find my way with Sat Nav and the OBD I have a spare phone.

Hows the car going? Mines good but really loses traction in 2nd, tyres are poop ;-)

Bluetooth wouldn't be that expensive to add think the modules and harness  can be picked up for around £100 

im not to bothered about oem Bluetooth though,I've put in the parott mki9200,good wee bit of kit and will play SD,USB,and I pods etc 

cars going great so far,though have just been scooting about locally so far,haven't been on a good run in it yet