Would Dealer Delay Delivery ?

ARWEN

Hi Guys,

My dealer told me two weeks ago (18th Jan) that my car was built and already in transport to the UK. Todays estimate for handover is 1st March. Does this sound about right? Or would the dealer have any incentive to delay hand over until 17 plate? The car is on lease arrangement if that makes any difference in three years time when its handed back. Am I being paranoid as well as disapointed.

From my point of view I dont care if its 66 or 17 plate, just need it delivered asap for a major trip across Europe.

15 minutes ago, ARWEN said:

Or would the dealer have any incentive to delay hand over until 17 plate? The car is on lease arrangement if that makes any difference in three years time when its handed back.

The lease company would prefer a 17 plate to a 66 plate as that will make the trade-in value slightly higher, and that would reduce the monthly payments.

I'd agree with that, but in this case, I'm guessing that the leasing company is not paying for it until a bit later than "as soon as it arrives in dealer's compound".

Maybe the OP needs to check what his initial "ask" of that dealer, if it required the taking ownership in early February, then that dealer is defaulting on the original deal.  Though could that dealer have been sure that that car would have arrived early February?  I'm guessing that the OP's plans have changed slightly of he/she was being a bit optimistic when they placed that order and planned that trip.

Edit:- I made what could have turned out to be a stupid plan when I ordered my previous Passat from Holland, my worry was getting that car's reg docs through before travelling back into Europe on holiday - though they and the car did turn up in time!

Edited by rum4mo

If you want the car ASAP then ask the Head Sales Executive by Email & add in the Principal Dealer & Finance Director into that enquiry.

'How soon can i get my vehicle and is there any reason that delivery / handover will be delayed until a busy time for yourselves with so many new registrations?'

Edited by Offski

• Administrators

It could also be down to monthly targets. They might be light on March, and up on Feb, so more incentive to get it on march's books for bonuses later.. although more often its the other way around and March should be a good one.

Ultimately two things are true. You have an agreed amount to pay, you're the customer of the lease co. It's for you to tell the lease co. Good luck, and enjoy the drive!

So six weeks delivery from leaving the factory isnt unusual, unreasonable?  Ive not had a brand new car before so have little experience of this. I havent changed my travel plans, and if the new car doesn't arrive in time so be it. Ill take the old peugeot.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a Ford company car many years ago and was only a few weeks later advised of a delivery date and reg. As they had found a car built to my spec it arrived much earlier than expected(I had been advised to order around 5 months in advance for that model), so I said it had to be delivered later and they stored it for 6 weeks and the lease company still took my existing car back from me 4 weeks before it was due end. (In fact a colleague took it and the lease was extended until his car could be sourced..

Would have been a Y reg, but it was deregistered and then registered again a t a later date and was delivered as a 51 reg, first year of the new system.

I don't think there is any time limit on registering. At one time there was scandal about some cars being 2 to 3 years old and stored up to their axles in water on a large field and then being sold as new!

That is a different time scale where the manufacturers can do what they like.

The time limit here is a vehicle Skoda own and the Dealership needs to get first registered the money into the bank, 

a timescale of so many days / weeks, not months and years.

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2017 at 17:18, kenfowler3966 said:

I ordered a Ford company car many years ago and was only a few weeks later advised of a delivery date and reg. As they had found a car built to my spec it arrived much earlier than expected(I had been advised to order around 5 months in advance for that model), so I said it had to be delivered later and they stored it for 6 weeks and the lease company still took my existing car back from me 4 weeks before it was due end. (In fact a colleague took it and the lease was extended until his car could be sourced..

Would have been a Y reg, but it was deregistered and then registered again a t a later date and was delivered as a 51 reg, first year of the new system.

I don't think there is any time limit on registering. At one time there was scandal about some cars being 2 to 3 years old and stored up to their axles in water on a large field and then being sold as new!

My Fiesta that I bought in January 2015 (About to replace with a Rapid) was actually manufactured in May 2014 so was 7 months old when I bought it. Suspect the dealer had bought a job lot. 

I think Ford make a lot of cars on spec and store them until someone wants that spec and colour.

Whilst Skoda do the same to an extent, largely through dealers ordering various specifictions to show and sell, i think a lot more proportionally are built to customers requirements.

Ford sold or first registered 120,000 Fiesta in the UK last year compared to Skoda first registering 80,000 or so of all the models they offer.

A big difference for volume sellers on how the cars are manufactured and imported / stocked.

MY16 Skoda Rapid Spaceback - Built 04/01/2016 - Delivered 28/01/2016 -  (Car registered on 22/01/2016

MY16 Skoda Superb SE Business - Built 22/02/2016 - Delivered 21/03/2016 (Car Registered on 12/03/2016) - car was delayed from dealer to delivery to my house as it was due the week before but they didnt have a spare transport slot (car arrived on a trailer.)

Conversly i remember test driving a showroom ford xr2 in around 1985 and then buying it. It was so new the plastic dashboard still felt tacky for a couple of weeks and it had the strongest new car smell of any i had ever bought.

I've just seen this thread. My new Octavia was ordered on January 10th, and we were told at the time that there was a lead time of 3 months on Octavias, and a provisional delivery date of 18th March was given.

The saleswoman got in touch last week to confirm . . .