suspension noise after going back std

vRSAnt

On very extreme travel where suspension is likely to go from full compression to extension I'm pretty sure a bit of a clunk noise I'm hearing is comign from the rear.

( like small hills, I don't tend to go over small bridges much but that sort of thing)

When I changed my suspension on the rear back to standard it was obviously for the most case just a case of putting the original springs in, other than the bottom bolt its remaining untouched.

( the rear springs looked okay, if a bit rusty but I cleaned and painted them with etch primer before refitting).

Its very infrequent I don't hear it much but just wonder if anyone has had this going from lower to normal suspension ?

Springs are Sachs road shocks.

I could replace springs or shocks but doesn't seem worthwhile at the moment. Maybe worth looking at top mounts and security of the top shock mounting bolts ? or just typical wear for shocks being on lower springs ?

Make sure the rear springs are both perfectly seated at the trailing arms, I had this with a very slight misalignment of the NSR spring in the lower cup and it did exactly the same thing, I simply popped it into place with a pry bar while jacked up and hey presto.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still getting this, its very infrequent but could be 2-3 a journey over hump backed roads etc. Sounds a bit like the flexing of heavy boards or something like that ( have to record it) rather than a knock per se.

On where I thought I'd heard it ( rear left, correction) I have rotated the spring around so the bulk of the spring bottom edge is most prevalent when looking from the back and the top end is firmly meeting the end rubber.

I'd loosened the shock absorber bottom nut to release it to make it easier to check the spring out, and the top mount seemed pretty tight, so couldn't pull any play out of it so didn't bother to remove the inner arch and check tightness as there didn't seem it would be likely coming from there.

I'm starting to second guess whether this really is the back now.....really need another person in the car maybe in the back to listen out and drive over the known areas. I'd already checked tightening of the spring top shock mount, nuts etc and the rest should be too.

The suspension seems to be working fine though which is annoying as its hard to justify replacing everything out like new shocks and springs to fix it.

Edited by vRSAnt