Estate versus hatchback

Pw1969

I'd guess from memory it raise the floor pan by say 4 inches to give a level floor when the back seats are laid flat

previous post should have read ' if ground clearance isn't a major issue ' sorry

Edited by davidwhite

39 minutes ago, davidwhite said:

No that is not the case, the variable floor actually raises the boot bed to be level with the rear seat backs when they are dropped with the rear seat bases tipped forward 

( I hope that make sense, maybe someone who is more computer literate can add photo )

the octavia 4x4 is held in high regard if ground clearance is a major factor

funnily enough i have just posted a further question about a 4x4:). Not too bothered about ground clearance as i dont a lot of rough roading.....but to be truthful i have been looking at the 4x4 and Scout versions

Edited by pw1969
spelling

6 minutes ago, David Heavey said:

The Estate gets much dirtier at the rear and more quickly than the Hatch, if that matters to you.

i'm planning on spending more on the next car than i ever have......i'll wash it more often:biggrin:

• Like 1

Ecomatt.

I was referring to the vRS.

I have owned a VRS Hatch pre face lift 57 Plate, a Petrol VRS Estate on a 62 Plate and a Diesel VRS on a 13 plate believe me that model is crashy but the Estate is worse and has springs rated for 1150 kG while the Hatch are on 1100 kG Springs.

VW Group always goes  hard springs soft damping it's cheaper to make. 

With me having a big dog and trips to the tip the sloping rear of the hatch was a big issue. The estate is much more practical in the real world.

The raised boot floor is very useful for loading or unloading stuff, say, bags of compost, cement etc. as you don't have to drop it in, or lift it out, over the boot lip. Probably not so much of an issue for young'ins but better for my back.

I was in a hatchback recently and the estate definitely has more road noise and is also less composed over bumps below 40mph. Whether you class it as firm or crashy it's not as comfortable. The ride and road noise are the two biggest disappointments for me with the estate but overall it's a very accomplished car.

One big advantage of the estate is that the open boot lid creates a shelter from the rain, so when you are sat on the bumper changing boots, socks etc, you stay dry.

The retractable load cover on the estate is better than the hatchbacks parcel shelf too for those people who need to maximise the space available.

I've had both but at the same time, the estate was a much more practical car even though the boot floor was the same as the hatch...

Image result for silver1011 vrs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Heavey said:

Ecomatt.

I was referring to the vRS.

I have owned a VRS Hatch pre face lift 57 Plate, a Petrol VRS Estate on a 62 Plate and a Diesel VRS on a 13 plate believe me that model is crashy but the Estate is worse and has springs rated for 1150 kG while the Hatch are on 1100 kG Springs.

VW Group always goes  hard springs soft damping it's cheaper to make. 

I own the 2010 CR170 VRS and dont find it crashy. But I might be just be used to firm cars as I have owned Focus RS, ST and previuisly modded 56 plate Octavia VRS TFSi in the past. Even the wife finds the suspension in my current Octy VRS more than fine and she is one to moan when the suspension is too hard.

The Octavia is not crashy, it's firm, but that's just my opinion and it's subjective. However, most road tests I've ever read said the same and those guys drive hundreds of cars. My Yeti was very similar and again the road tests said the same. Mention that on the Yeti forum and you get crucified by the usual suspects. You're not allowed to criticise the Yeti in any way.

You might ask why I bought two cars knowing that, but overall they are both good cars and the slightly over firm suspension (IMO) wasn't enough to put me off.

I usually change my cars once or twice a year (kept the Yeti for 18 months which shows I liked it) and now look for a more compliant ride at low speed knowing the trade off at higher speeds, but prefer that. Had the Octavia for 6 months and feel the itch. Life's too short to keep a car for 3 years or more so only ever bought one new car, big mistake.

Et Al.

For sure the perception of the ride is subjective.

However, there is crashy, the result of a miss match between the springs and the damping and a Skoda Octavia vRS is crashy because the springs as too hard not firm for the dampers, the effect of a lower price manufacturer buying the cheapest parts. Fit Eibach sports springs and you will see the ride is smoother and much more compliant.

Firm ride is  the result of a well designed suspension, I also drive a Fiesta ST that's firm but the ride is outstanding.

Anyway if this is no help just ignore it.

Have a nice day

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 20:04, pw1969 said:

Hi folks

Am i right in thinking that the floor area when the rear seats are in an Octy MkII hatch back is roughly the same as the estate version? The only difference being the volume lost by the rake of the A pillar on the hatch back? Photos of the two versions with the seats up looks remarkably similar. I have found some measurements online which suggest just under 6ft from the boot lid to the rear seats.

Be grateful for any info.:) 

Doesn't really change your basic question but the A-pillar is the front windscreen pillar!  It is the different profile if the hatch versus the tailgate that reduces total load volume of the hatchback against the estate.

23 hours ago, mikeholroyd said:

I currently have both a hatch and an estate, and can honestly say that there are pros and cons of both. We've actually found that the useable boot space is better on the hatch, as the variable floor on the estate creates a very large area that cannot be used. But the estate' squarer profile and boot floor level with the lip is far better for loading, and a lot better for transporting the dogs, not only because the cages are easier to access on a flat floor and no sloping rear window, but being smaller dogs its physically easier for them getting in and out too. The roller blind on the estate is better too, no need to remove the fixed shelf of the hatch when the dogs are in.

As far as the ride goes, there is no difference whatsoever in the way the hatch and the estate handle on the road.

Rear wiper motor failures are far more common on the hatch, as the washer on these goes through the motor itself, on the estate the washer is separate and mounted in the high level brake light.

Parking - far easier on the estate as it is easier to judge reverse distance as the rear window is at the back of the car, whereas you have a bit of a "boot" on the hatch which makes judging how far you can reverse more difficult. Hence the cameras on both my cars.

Finally - looks - personal preference, but IMHO the estate looks far, far better.

I replaced our old 54 preFL hatch with a 62 plate FL hatch - but only because that's what was available. Through choice, it would have been another estate every time.

Mike

great info thanks...reckon its definately the estate version for me.. i too think i prefer the estates look......the dogs dont go in the car very often....but that is an important consideration.

in regard to ride.....im travelling to look at a Scout tomorrow....in a mates pre FL VRS with standard springs so i guess i''ll have my own views  :biggrin:.

i think the ride feeling is very subjective. I have spent the last 6 plus years in a V70 armchair....i suspect all of the variants will feel firm and or crashy....i'll report back....thanks for all the input folks....

pw1969

after driving the V70 you will find that whilst it's a well sorted car or estate the Octavia will feel er...... sorry folks low rent,

only you can judge if you can live with the difference if you can't check out the superb but imo you will need an estate, I've fished longer than I have been able to drive, every time I have succumbed to family pressure and bought a sensible saloon or hatch I instantly regret it, for me and fishing it's got to be an estate every time

Well i bought a 10 plate Scout today..:biggrin:.and yes fishing (started at 7 years old and still going) made me listen to my head rather than my heart.......terrible weather for checking out a car but at least it was under cover......just very cold as was raining/snowing on and off all day in Wakefield..well pleased with the 60 mile plus ride home despite some terrible weather on the M1. i'll post some pics elsewhere when i can get them sorted. Its early days yet but the car seems quite well sorted and planted....will get the car checked out and have a play