Non-responsive touchscreen

Hi all,

Had my car just 1 week and have had 6 instances of non-responsive touchscreen, usually when around 0degC, all instances documented and 4 instances captured on video and sent to dealer.

The car is a 4x4 L&K estate with Columbus & Canton plus many options on top and was registered here in Switzerland in Oct 2015 build. It was the Bosses car from a Skoda dealership and I negotiated an additional years warranty on top of the normal 2 year warranty (plus a set of additional new alloys with new cross conti winter tyres). The dealership will be taking it in next week to look at it but have already sent my videos to Skoda to get direction on if it could be a software issue or possible screen change.

I've posted a picture of my HW & SW versions and ahead of this and if a few people don't mind I'd like to know what HW & SW version other people have + car build/reg date and if anyone else has seen this kind of problem please?

All help appreciated.

Cheers,

Mick

Screenshot 2017-02-06 21.10.52.jpg

Meant to say that I saw through the search function that this kind of issue was common on Octavia but did not find anything on Superb 3.

<--- Built September 2015, delivered October 2015.

Exactly the same details as yours, 3V0035020A - H42 - 0318, except I have the ECE 2017 maps.

I haven't had problems with the touchscreen response. It doesn't tend to get as cold here as in Sweden but I've been in Germany the last two winters where it's been pretty damned cold with the car parked outdoors and it hasn't affected the screen response.

Did you, the dealer-cleaner or even the boss use any kind of glass cleaning agent on the screen that you know of? These can leave a thin film residue and reduce the sensitivity of detecting the capacitive effect of your fingers. The screen should only be cleaned with a dry cloth and for that a microfibre cloth works best.

Hi BillyJim, thanks for your build and version details, really useful to know and I will look at updating maps when time allows before taking it on a long trip.

I only took delivery of the car on the 1st Feb and so personally haven't cleaned the screen yet, but have some micro-fibre clothes and will give it a good wipe this morning before starting the car and let you know.

I don't think it will help for a couple of reasons, firstly because of the way it behaves - on a longer trip it will recover full functionality a period of 15 - 40 minutes and has occasionally "remembered" some of the touchscreen presses I made when it was not responding (called my home phone, skipping around music tracks, new destination in nav, etc...).

Secondly from experience, in a previous job I worked as test & integration leader for a tier 1 supplier/integrator of the satnav & infotainment systems for multiple car platforms on Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Ford & Toyota vehicles (some with capacitive & some resistive screens) through the early to mid 2000's. I lead integration testing and helped test for, investigate and correct issues often due to SW version conflicts between modules or other problems including issues due to cold or environmental effects. SW issues tended to be seen on and effect a wider number of the test vehicles, system set-ups we used during development (or customer cars when we missed something pre-release and had to support mass updates!!!) whereas environmental effects - mainly cold needing screen changes were much more rare (even during the cold and hot environment work we did) but did happen occaisionally.

I'm hoping that it will be a SW issue rather than a screen change as even if the dealer does the replacement things never seem to go back together as neatly as before the work and at the moment the car has no issues in terms of the build quality nor any irritations due to noise, vibration or rattles.

Will report back on any developments and welcome any one else's build dates and version detail info.

i've had this occur a few times this winter in my Superb SE-L which was registered in Nov 2015. I updated the map software a few months back.

only way i could get the system to function was by pressing power button for 5-10 seconds, then it rebooted.

only happened when temperature was around freezing.

i've not done anything about it yet, but if it continues i'll let the dealer know.

Had a full freeze only once on our MY16 Rapid Spaceback. - This occurred after doing a DAB scan for stations within 2 weeks of getting the car.

Edited by RickTT

I had the same issue with the Columbus screen, it started when temperatures got close to freezing and below. Took it to the dealership who made a software upgrade and now it's gone. Said that the screen sensitivity was too high and this causes the screen to malfunction in colder climate. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the feedback, much appreciated! 

I gave the screen a wipe with a micro fibre cloth Thursday morning before starting the car and the touch screen behaved OK initially on both Thurs & Friday mornings but during both day's commute it froze up for a while. It requiring a power button reset after 5-10 minutes driving on Thursday and on Friday it recovered by itself after 2 minutes or so but then did some of the actions in a kind of fast motion that I had attempted whilst it was non-responsive (skipped forward a few music tracks and also created a route and started guidance on the SatNav).

Generally I really like the car, it has no other issues, no cabin rattles/noises, is very comfy for a 6' 3'' well padded person :) and last weekend when I had to drive 120KM's in really heavy snow (Swiss road maintenance crews caught out for once - snow was quite deep in parts) the stability and feeling of being planted on the roads was brilliant! This one niggle has been spoiling my enjoyment but I am becoming happier with my purchase choice now I can see a possible reason for it (cars like most things over here are really expensive).

Maybe who ever cleaned the car before I took delivery from the dealers used a spray polish of some kind that left a film on the screen as Alex suggested - I have to say the car was immaculately presented, you would never know it was a 14 month old ex-dealer car.

I'm now gonna carefully try a more thorough but gentle cleaning using a cloth wrung out well from a warm water with very mild detergent mix and then a dry micro fibre wipe over to see if the this improves the behavior any further.

Hi Puuriit,

Could you share details of the SW version number please?

Also anyone else who can be bothered to, please post HW &SW versions, it would just be good to know and especially if I have latest SW installed.

Edited by mdpslm

Update on the issue: have had several more instances of touchscreen not responding since careful cleaning Sat am, also a couple of good start ups - we had a warm day Sun and Mon. But today I had a new variation: it was about -3degC and so started car and went and opened gates and de-iced the windows, when I got back in car the Nav screen was showing and no touch screen response but also all the fixed function buttons around the screen (phone, media, car, etc...) were also not working. Made a video of it for the dealer and the n did a power reset after which all worked perfectly.

Supposed to be visiting the dealer early next week - will feed back on that.

Got a call from the dealer and went in for an SW update, previously SW Version was 0318, now 0848, see photo below. Dealer said this should cure the issue and if not the the unit will be changed out, it is forecast to be -4 & -3 Deg C the next couple of mornings so will see if the SW update works. 

IMG_2114.JPG

Edited by mdpslm
  • Like 1

So this morning it was -2 deg C when I managed to get myself up and out of bed, started car and screen responded well immediately, the start up may have been faster than previously, not sure - maybe I imagined it. Then went on and played with all touch screen soft buttons across all menu functions (Nav, menu, phone, media, car, etc...) and worked flawlessly. I then tried lots of different screen touching speeds and linger times on the next & last media track and car economy screens where I'd previously seen some odd problems and again all worked flawlessly. I'll keep trying for a while and post an update soon.

Does any one else have Software: 0848 version?

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2017 at 20:54, mdpslm said:

Does any one else have Software: 0848 version?

nop :(

dealer told, there isn't newer software than 0318 for H50(version without DAB)

first minute-two

but in next few minutes come several self switching of station,

started week or two ago, first anniversary

HiMartiniB,

For me the new software version (and maybe higher temperatures) has cured my issues, not one problem since the update - I guess next winter will be the real test.

:-)

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd just post an update on this:

Although its been a relatively mild winter in Switzerland (temperatures down to -10 occasionally where we are near Bern) I have not had a single occurrence of it being non-responsive since the update to software version 0848 Feb 2017.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

Is it only via a dealer you can update to the 0848 version? (Or whatever is the most recent version?)

I checked the update portal but says no software updates available for my VIN, only maps?

Having the same issue with non-responsive touch screen when I start the car in the morning.

@mdpslm

Mines a Nov 15 build and I have never personally had the Columbus lock up on on its own .

Just a thought.....

There a many known bugs with Android Auto / Apple Car play causing the screens to lock up or do phantom presses. It doesn't need to be actively running but it is a background process on both the device and the Columbus

Although I reckon you would have mentioned it but do you connect your phone via USB even though you are not actually using any Car play type app ?

Hi All,

So its more than 2 & 1/2 years since the software update and not a single re-occurrence of the non-responsive touchscreen.

The 0848 build was produced by Skoda Engineers and applied via a disk update at the dealers, unfortunately I wasn't allowed a copy of the code files.

@Zenbasses  I very rarely connect phone via USB unless we're doing a long European trip or driving back to the UK and never had it connected when the issue happened, so no not a phone interfacing issue, the issue was definitely caused by low temperatures.

In a previous job I worked for Denso on the SatNav & infotainment systems units and in car integration for PAG (Premium Auto Group - Jaguar, Land Rover & Volvo) + Ford, Toyota & Saab vehicles. The early head units (available tech 10+ years back) all suffered to various degrees with responsiveness issues until the screen & other calibration constants were finalised, this would sometimes go up to and beyond launch depending if enough units had been produced and enough being properly tested in all conditions.

Hope this answers your queries.

@Zenbasses Not sure if you missed it but my issue was sorted long ago in Feb 2017:

1 hour ago, mdpslm said:

So its more than 2 & 1/2 years since the software update and not a single re-occurrence of the non-responsive touchscreen.

@RK5  I don't see where you are located, what's the temperature when you experience the issue?

Before the SW update it was happening around freezing and below.

What month & year was your car built?

Maybe look at and post a screenshot of the SW/HW details displayed in the System Information screen?

Located in UK so temperatures not yet at freezing. Car built Early 2016. No Android auto or carplay connection, just via bluetooth.

It's literally only the touch function, the display isn't "frozen" and I can still control with the steering wheel. It even recognises when I move my hand close to the screen. Sometimes switching the infotainment system off and on fixes it, sometimes it needs the ignition to be switched off and on.

Photo of system attached.

I think I'll see if I can get an update for free during the next service. I bought the car in the mainland UK and I live in Northern Ireland so I can't take it back to where I got it!

20190918_171704.jpg

@Zenbasses no worries man, i'm also well ready for the weekend!

@RK5 Not an easy situation situation - I take it it is out of warranty?

I was lucky, I bought it from a Skoda dealer and they gave me an addition years warranty. The good thing is that its happening often I guess, so it should display the issue often. I made videos of it each time it happened and also made a date time log to back it up. Skoda really should bear cost of the update/fix as it is a reasonably common & well documented problem across the whole range of their cars with these kind of screens, but I can imagine they'll try to get you to pay. If they won't fix it for free then maybe contact SKoda UK and try them, they have been known to help out sometimes. 

Good luck!