Replace amundsen unit

50 minutes ago, Trekster said:

Does it support Canton? I know that the Alpine unit does via an adapter they have made. 

This is however much better..the Alpine unit can feel a bit sluggish.

I did check with the engineering team previously, and apparently it doesn't yet, with the provided loom. However looking at the Alpine interface that's needed to integrate the Canton system, it should be compatible with our product also, All it does, is take the speaker out feed from the headunit, and convert it back to optical to feed the Canton Amp, so with some very minor modification (splicing the speaker outputs from our loom to the input of the Canton adapter) this should be compatible for the Pioneer solution also.

9 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Don't know the answer for your question, but I do have a question for you: where did you find it at that price? :)

yeah its here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-AVIC-EVO1-OC1-MTB-PIONEER-SKODA-Navigation/dp/B01MY54UYN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487761191&sr=8-1&keywords=navgate+evo

2 hours ago, Mikehaseler said:

It comes with the wiring harness, that connects directly into the vehicle loom. The only other thing you need to do is fit your externals, so mic, GPS, Change over the USB port etc as the Pioneer has its own dedicated accessories. There are adapters available to use the OE Mic, which is a relatively simple process and saves on overall installation.

so if i understand correctly, i remove the existing system, and connect the existing wiring to the new unit. The mic, gps and usb that are already in place need to be replaced with the pioneer??

34 minutes ago, true247spartan said:

so if i understand correctly, i remove the existing system, and connect the existing wiring to the new unit. The mic, gps and usb that are already in place need to be replaced with the pioneer??

Yes thats basically correct, so just to round up:
The OE unit (in the glove box) and the screen in the dash come out. the main loom, will adapt the vehicles wiring to fit the Pioneer, which enables the main unit to be plugged in.
2 options for the microphone - 1. You can use an adapter CA-MIC-VAG.001 to keep the original Microphone, this adapter plugs in along side the stereo loom and means you dont need to install a pioneer microphone 2. Run the supplied Pioneer Microphone

GPS- this needs to be installed, although it can be located directly with in the radio aperture, so there is very little involved in this.

USB - the USB panel in the vehicle needs to be unclipped to allow the wiring to be swapped for the Pioneer wiring in order for it to continue functioning.

5 hours ago, Mikehaseler said:

It comes with the wiring harness, that connects directly into the vehicle loom. The only other thing you need to do is fit your externals, so mic, GPS, Change over the USB port etc as the Pioneer has its own dedicated accessories. There are adapters available to use the OE Mic, which is a relatively simple process and saves on overall installation.

Yeah, I went to do some quite massive reading after I posted that grabbed all the manuals, install manuals, etc.

One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is the "AppRadio" support - Does this headhunit support it? It is kinda like a Pioneer own MirrorLink implementation

51 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Yeah, I went to do some quite massive reading after I posted that grabbed all the manuals, install manuals, etc.

One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is the "AppRadio" support - Does this headhunit support it? It is kinda like a Pioneer own MirrorLink implementation

Appradio support in all honesty is not very functional at all any more. Years ago, when it was first launched, app developers were really excited to be able to incorporate their apps into Pioneer products, it was one of the first app integration but as times gone on, they've lost interest in providing support, resulting in a very limited app selection, and in turn a rapidly decreasing number on consumers using the function. With connectivity options like CarPlay and Android Auto, again, resources with these app developers have been put elsewhere.

With this in mind, and the constraints of the unit size (to fit into the cars with out modification) the Appradio mode function was removed from these EVO products.

...and also, is there any card reader or only option is to play files from USB (for MP3 and such - and excluding bluetooth or DVD, of course)

If that is the case, it means you would need to dedicate one port to a USB stick and it then makes sense to buy the USB 

@Mikehaseler Could you also comment what happens to the onboard computer functions of the car? I saw from your video that by default you get the Driving data and then a option to change the car settings, but what happens to, for instance, the Vehicle status, Trip data, etc.?

On 22/02/2017 at 16:42, Jaco2k said:

...and also, is there any card reader or only option is to play files from USB (for MP3 and such - and excluding bluetooth or DVD, of course)

If that is the case, it means you would need to dedicate one port to a USB stick and it then makes sense to buy the USB 

Unfortunately there is no SD card facility so it it USB only. One USB can be wired to the port and one can be fed to the glove box as in my case

21 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

@Mikehaseler Could you also comment what happens to the onboard computer functions of the car? I saw from your video that by default you get the Driving data and then a option to change the car settings, but what happens to, for instance, the Vehicle status, Trip data, etc.?

this may give a little more info. Head unit wise all the vehicle data is the same although it's a different image. And on the cluster display itself all the original vehicle data remains, I'll get a clip of this at some point too. 

2 hours ago, Mikehaseler said:

Unfortunately there is no SD card facility so it it USB only. One USB can be wired to the port and one can be fed to the glove box as in my case

this may give a little more info. Head unit wise all the vehicle data is the same although it's a different image. And on the cluster display itself all the original vehicle data remains, I'll get a clip of this at some point too. 

Woah! Lots of things going on here, I was too wondering about the on bord computer system. Will all the current data still show and be controlled by the stalk controls from the steering wheel?

This project might be little but more expensive than originally thought 

mikehasler your a fountain of knowledge! Thanks 

On 24/02/2017 at 10:20, true247spartan said:

Woah! Lots of things going on here, I was too wondering about the on bord computer system. Will all the current data still show and be controlled by the stalk controls from the steering wheel?

This project might be little but more expensive than originally thought 

mikehasler your a fountain of knowledge! Thanks 

The stalk controls still work as expected, obviously relevant to the pioneer functions but the data info in the instrument cluster is exactly as it was previous.

the audio menus still display the relevant stereo information and all the vehicle data is accessible in the same way. The audio functions of the steering wheel are controlled primarily by the left hand buttons whilst the right buttons control the vehicle data menus (same as previously) The only thing that you loose is the mobile phone contacts list from the cluster display. If you wish to find a contact you will have to do it from the pioneer screen, which is just as easy or  even easier, use the voice command function to call a contact I.e "call Alan" using the voice activation button on the steering wheel because the voice control will use the voice control on your phone, it doesn't actually work, unlike my experience with the OE system. 

:) happy to help

• 1 year later...

Just looking at this topic. As ever I'm sceptical about products that claim to seemlessly integrate (that's a whole discussion on it's own) but I notice in a previous thread that incartech was mentioned as the distributer.

If anyone is interested in this product, the nav unit is £549 from incartech. Incartec pioneer

It also means you're dealing with a company here in the UK as opposed to the near double the price on amazon / ebay for units which appear to be imported from another country.

17 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Just looking at this topic. As ever I'm sceptical about products that claim to seemlessly integrate (that's a whole discussion on it's own) but I notice in a previous thread that incartech was mentioned as the distributer.

If anyone is interested in this product, the nav unit is £549 from incartech. Incartec pioneer

It also means you're dealing with a company here in the UK as opposed to the near double the price on amazon / ebay for units which appear to be imported from another country.

Thanks Scot5 I will check them out. Getting frustrated with my infotainment unit. 

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Best double check with supplier but I'm pretty sure Autoleads PC5-93 type fit modern VW group vehicles.

pc5-93.thumb.jpg.b5b9cf7f9a5bebf1396bfd004f6ec198.jpg

EDIT:   This may be of some help to you:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFf716OG7CY

Thanks Scot5. Before you replied I ordered this 

Keple Car Radio Removal Tool Key by DIN Release Keys Set for Audi, VW VolksWagen, Mercedes Benz, BMW OEM Head Unit CD Media Player Pins | Universal Pin Stereo Hooks Tools (2 pairs) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Z9QTHG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-e9gCbKPF9QZS

do you think they will do the trick?

Hi all, I have installed the Navgate Evo,  with faults :-(

I’ll list them below

1. apple car car play isn’t recognised. Not sure why, maybe connected to wrong USB. Will investigate.

2. Stalk controls are not all working! Al connections are to correct connection. I may have to strip the whole unit and try again! Really don’t want to do that!

apart from the 2 issues, all seems okay so far. 

Will keep tou posted.

yeah I know it’s christmas Day but one cannot resist playing with a new toy!

i have now got apple car play working and some stalk controls. The only part of steering wheel control which isn’t working correctly is the telephone. Cannot answer or make a call!!!!

2nd problem is the ariel signal is very weak! Damn! Back to the ripping the cables out and checking all connections! 

Merry christmas everyone 

• 3 months later...

Hi guy,

just an update, I in the end have sent the NavGate Evo back for a full refund. I sent it back to pioneer  as it wasn’t working correctly. 

Some issues where

System restarting, bad fm signal, gps not recognising position, apple car play freezing, stalk controls not working correctly. 

After a a couple of weeks I received the unit back all excited as installed the unit back in my Octavia and as to my disappointment it was still faulty! 

Dab signal awful, even after purchasing a new antenna, apple car play freezing, fm signal bad again, stalk controls still not working. 

Sent it it back and was promised a full refund. 

Now or I am back to my factory head unit.

sorry I haven’t taken any photo of install guys I got so carried away by the time I realised photos the unit was installed!!

I have long maintained that the best upgrade is an OEM unit. Might be a hack, but I’ve had 2 radios reworked now from the genius that is pab567 and both have been perfect and done for less than Alpine charge for their Octavia specific hu. A MIB2 is worth serious consideration these days as the parts are much cheaper. My MIB2.5 Columbus came in under £1k and it was worth every penny as it is such an impressive radio. I appreciate the Pioneer unit is cheaper, but I managed a MIB2 conversion last year for less than Pioneer charge.

Edited by SashaGrace