Injector Failure or EA189?

SomewhereInEngland

Hi,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere or is in the wrong location. My car is a Yeti 2010 1.9TD 2WD.

Late last year I had my car serviced, MOT’d and the EA189 applied. Afterward, my perception was that the car had occasional power loss on acceleration or power drop out under steady speed. These issues were very slight and not regular and certainly not distinct enough to be able to book the car in with Skoda with any hope of reproducing them.

However, in late January, the car developed bad Diesel Rattle on cold days when accelerating in 2nd gear. This always occurred at 2000RPM. The issue was worse the colder the weather. The issue progressively disappeared as the engine warmed up. I booked the car into my dealer and under Skoda technical direction they adjusted the injectors.

On return, the Diesel Rattle was less but now occurred under all loads and in all gears. At 2000RPM the engine lost power badly and would not accelerate correctly. It felt as though a rev limiter had kicked in and was dropping cylinders or the engine was not firing. The symptoms progressively disappeared over 10 miles as the car warmed up to full operating temperature.  I returned the car to the dealer, and logged a call with Skoda UK Support.

The current situation is that the car has been with the dealer for a week now. The dealer is waiting for Skoda Technical to provide information, but I have been informed that it is being put down to an Injector failure and not related to the EA189 fix. I did suggest rolling back the fix to eliminate this as an issue, but this has not been tried as yet as far as I am aware. Apparently, the above symptoms are as a result of movement in the injector being limited by a mechanical failure or jamming in the injector. Interestingly the problem occurs at 2000RPM irrespective of light or heavy acceleration. It seems to be an engine RPM issue, not a fuel requirement issue.

My question is, is an injector failure reasonable, or are Skoda trying to avoid an EA189 related issue? Any guidance on the validity of the injector failure proposal or any questions I should be asking would be most gratefully received. I am aware of post on EA189 issues and the reports on Tiguans, however I would like to be fair on this issue.

Many Thanks in advance. John H.