Whistling sound from rear right doors when not driving - Combi only

Hi,

please, is anyone experiencing a whistling sound in SuperB Combi MKIII from rear right or left doors  ? I have MY2017 car.

Video : https://vid.me/bthq and https://vid.me/c938  (don't mix with whistle of my 20 months old daughter on that sound ;-)  - you can hear it stops when I enable internal recirculation.

Conditions :

- SuperB Combi MK3

- temperature set to 22

- all doors and windows closed

- 0 km/h (no need to drive car)

- fan vent speed to 70-100% (the worst is on maximum speed)

- if you hear whistle sound, you may try turning on-off the internal ventilation - recirculation.

If anyone from the Combi owners can test it here, I would really appreciate.

Thank you.

If you open another door or window does the noise disappear? I'm wondering if the exit vents on the car are stuck shut (These are hidden behind the back bumper at each side of the boot if the car is laid out similarly to the Octy and Superb II), so the air pumped into the car is leaking out through other routes.

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 1

Indeed, when I open another door, window etc. all is fine. Even the atmospheric pressure increase in the car with closed doors and turning the fan to 70-100% by 160 Pa = 16,315 kg/m2 , it's even noticeable when I'm trying to close the doors, it get closed much harder. But it might be normal, that's why I asked for some additional experience to have some evidence for car service discussion....

Btw, is there some way to check those exit vents easily ? I know there are somewhere in the rear bumper but can I check them eg. somehow from the rear trunk without dismantling anything ?

Only other thing i can think of without stripping out is if you have acces to a airline and compressor close alldoors feed airline into car through a window seal it up with gaffer tape and run the compressor to build up extra pressure in the car;)

If that dont work let the dealer sort it its still under warranty i presume  ?

Edited by Windscreenman

7 minutes ago, Windscreenman said:

If that dont work let the dealer sort it its still under warranty i presume  ?

They got the car already for 1x4 days a 1x1 day today...still not sorted ;-( They are saying that even others Combi have the same symptoms...

They are trying to fix it but honestly not enough...even checking each step with Skoda manufacturer ;-( But true is, they never checked yet the vents ! (at least they did not share with me)

Does your car have a canton system fitted .?

If so the sub may be in the way to check the vent on the left hand side .i have not had the pleasure of removing any trim from my car so cant really be much help. 

Just had a thought maybe the vents are  fitted backwards ??????

Good luck hope you get it sorted

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Again based on the Mark II Octavia and Superb if the vents are working right you should hear a quiet clap sound made by the outlet vent closing just after closing a door or the boot if the side vents are working. It nearly sounds like an echo as it's immediately after closing a door or the boot, so you have to know to listen for it.

i have got whistling in front left(driver) door after dealer made Chrome Trim Campaign
whistling were coming on 40-100% of fan speed
had to visit them again and after their repeated fix
now it comes on 80-100% (almost never)

yes Canton has a sub, cause high preassure to the ears had set few steps minus
not heard they have checked rear vents only glue the chrome

• Like 1

Also might be worth running over the door seals with rubber treatment to see whether they seal better and stop the air leak. For it to make an audible noise the leak is likely to be only in one small spot around the door seal. If you can hear it from the outside see if leaning on the door or pushing on the window glass changes the noise, which would tell you whether it's the door seal or the window seal. In my previous Octavia I had very intrusive wind noise from one of the back doors caused by a tiny gap in the fixed part of the window (Very easily fixed with a tiny amount of sealant), so the door seal isn't the only place it can leak.

• Like 1

Unfortunately that's the point - from outside it's all fine, so the door seals are not leaking. The problem is still unsolved unfortunately for me, tried all the advices above and no change.

The noise seems to be coming around the upper hook / holder of the door roller blinder...but will not disappear whatever I do...eg. tried pushing that spot, cover it etc. - no change.

2017-03-01 22_22_45-superb III dvere roletka - Hledat Googlem.png

The only thing I can think of to try after this is squirting some soapy water around the outside of the window seal to see whether you can see the air escaping from the outside of the car to track this down further. I presume that as soon as the window is opened the noise is gone. Any sign of damage along the seal at the top of the window? Has the clip for the sun blind created a gap around the seal by any chance?

• Like 1

So the noise was really coming from around the upper hook / holder of the door roller blinder. There are two holes for holder and those two holes is the root cause (see arrows), the wind is coming trough them in to cabin. Not sure yet how I will fix it but for sure with some isolation.

2017-03-05 20_54_25-Pískání zadních pravých dveří.png

Sorry, I mean internal airflow not the wind from outside. It somehow come from the cabin to the doors and then back again via those holes to the cabin.