DSG at rest question

mattlittle

I have a question about DSG at traffic lights or other times when you are temporarily at rest.

On my Mk 7 Golf with DSG, when I stopped at lights, the Start-Stop would kick in and the electronic parking brake would go on. I could take my foot off the foot brake and the engine would remain off and the electronic parking brake would keep the car stationary with the engine off. Nice and relaxing as I didn't have to keep my foot on a brake.

On the Yeti, when I stop at lights, the Start-Stop kicks in and I can apply the handbrake. Thing is that when I remove my foot from the foot brake, the engine kicks in again. When this happens, the car strains against the handbrake as the car is still in drive.

So, what do other people do? 

At lights, do you just keep your foot on the foot brake so that the engine remains off? Isn't that a lot of leg-ache if you are there for a while? Do you put it in park? Or do you just let it strain against the parking brake when you take your foot off the foot brake?

The yeti is my first experience of dsg and I'm still getting used to it! 

I use the break for short stops. And a mixture of neutral and park for longer waits, for example being caught at the front of the lights. 

The behaviour of start / stop seems totally illogical to me. But I would of thought that the combination of handbrake and drive with no foot brake is not good for the system. 

My car has DSG but not stop-start.  I drive it the same as my previous manual car.  If going to be stopped for a few seconds then foot on footbrake.  If going to be stopped for longer then into Neutral and handbrake on.

• Like 1

I knock mine into neutral most of the time whilst stopped. This in an older car though.

I know manufacturers say unnecessary, but I think it would help the clutch last longer.

Definitely do not use the handbrake / in gear option you mention.........Not wise, in fact a little dangerous imo. I suspect you know this.

You can easily push into neutral on approach to the stop, without pressing the pedal, and if you are still moving you can put back into 'D' again without pressing the pedal if traffic starts moving before you have had to stop.

36 minutes ago, mattlittle said:

I have a question about DSG at traffic lights or other times when you are temporarily at rest.

On my Mk 7 Golf with DSG, when I stopped at lights, the Start-Stop would kick in and the electronic parking brake would go on. I could take my foot off the foot brake and the engine would remain off and the electronic parking brake would keep the car stationary with the engine off. Nice and relaxing as I didn't have to keep my foot on a brake.

On the Yeti, when I stop at lights, the Start-Stop kicks in and I can apply the handbrake. Thing is that when I remove my foot from the foot brake, the engine kicks in again. When this happens, the car strains against the handbrake as the car is still in drive.

At lights, do you just keep your foot on the foot brake so that the engine remains off? Isn't that a lot of leg-ache if you are there for a while? Do you put it in park? Or do you just let it strain against the parking brake when you take your foot off the foot brake?

Did the golf's ep brake disengage automatically, when you started off again???

I thought stop / start vehicles restarted when you pressed the accelerator, rather than when you took your foot off the brake.

Seems ill thought out if that last option is the case, and you have to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the engine restarting.

14 minutes ago, Tilt said:

I thought stop / start vehicles restarted when you pressed the accelerator, rather than when you took your foot off the brake.

Seems ill thought out if that last option is the case, and you have to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the engine restarting.

You have to hold the brake down to avoid it restarting 

You can ease the brake to make it start, which I do so it is ready to pull away.

however because it's a process that you have to think about, I often press the off button, then just put it in neutral for long stops

1 hour ago, mattlittle said:

I'm sure on the golf if you brake gently the parking brake doesn't auto engage.  You have to press the foot brake quite forcefully in order to activate that function.  The if i remember a gentle tap on the throttle wakes the engine up and releases the parking brake. 

I was a year or so ago I drove the golf i'm talking about but I did drive it from Edinburgh to Coventry via Glasgow and back again. ;)

With the DSG system you either have to move the gear lever to neutral OR keep the footbrake depressed to prevent undue wear of the system. Therefore with stop/start it is no different, either keep the footbrake depressed or move into neutral. I have driven DSG's for over 10 years and just use the footbrake - don't have to press hard to keep at standstill then let "hill-hold" work when pulling away. Obviously if you are going to be stopped for any length of time then slip into neutral - just as you would with any car.

Nice with the latest systems like some Golf's and others. Electric Hand Brake, & also Auto Hold which can be enabled to be available all the time and the foot never need sit on the foot brake when stopped and would only need the foot brake used if you take the Gear stick out of D or S.

As to DSG and no Electric Hanbrake or Auto Hold like on a Yeti or anything putting into 'N' and applying the hand brake will depend on location and if you are 

doing as the 'Highway Code says' and not sitting long with Brake lights on, 

I would not go into 'P', i personally would rather switch Stop / Start off.

Or as i do, switch on the AC or turn up the heating dial so it does not 'stop'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonVespa said:

The yeti is my first experience of dsg and I'm still getting used to it! 

I use the break for short stops. And a mixture of neutral and park for longer waits, for example being caught at the front of the lights. 

The behaviour of start / stop seems totally illogical to me. But I would of thought that the combination of handbrake and drive with no foot brake is not good for the system. 

Yo don't want to be leaving it in Park at the lights, if you do get rear-ended it's going to be even more expensive & a bigger chance of injury for you / passengers.

DC

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tilt said:

Yes, the brake disengaged automatically. In the golf, the engine rested when the accelerator was pressed. 

23 minutes ago, logiclee said:

DSG and Auto Hold is a dream combination, have it on the Passat.

For the Yeti for longer stops I just go neutral and handbrake

Cheers. That's what I thought - both about the auto hold on the golf and the need to use neutral on the yeti. 

This is my first DSG and I love it! At the lights I apply the footbrake and release it when ready to restart. If I judge that it will be a very short stop I "feather" the footbrake to keep the engine running.

Fred

On 2/26/2017 at 21:15, mattlittle said:

Cheers for all the advice. I'll use neutral and parking brake for longer waits. 

Maybe the yeti replacement will have Emergency auto hold so you can leave it in drive as the engine tendons off until you press the throttle. 

VAG only fit Auto Hold to vehicles with Electric Handbrake. That's why the B6 Passat had it but not the Mk6 Golf. The Mk7 Golf has Electric Handbrake so now has Auto Hold.

Skoda fitted Electric Handbrake on the MQB Superb so it has autohold but not the MQB Octavia.

So we'll have to see what the next Yeti gets.

Lee

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, g6zru said:

This is my first DSG and I love it! At the lights I apply the footbrake and release it when ready to restart. If I judge that it will be a very short stop I "feather" the footbrake to keep the engine running.

Fred

I'm just getting the hang of doing this now as well!