Superb Estate 2.0 TDI Manual

I'm coming to the end of a PCP and was wondering about changing to a Superb amongst many other options. I'm keen to hear other people's experiences of what the engine performance is like. I've read the dsg thread on the 190 bhp version, but was wondering what it was like in manual. I'm currently driving the 150 bhp engine in the Octavia, and find it a fabulous drive, particularly now it has done over 20k and is probably at its peak performance, but wondering how it was in the larger car?

The local Skoda dealer only had the dsg 190 bhp hatchback when I went in recently, I had a twenty minute drive, but frankly I don't get on well with automatics and can never get them to perform how they should especially on a short test drive.

So far have driven the estate versions of the Seat Leon , the Ford Focus, the Vauxhall Astra, and the Volvo V60 but none of them beat the Octavia or are even on a par. At this rate I might even pay the balloon payment and be done with it, but as someone who generally replaces their car every 3 years, I am keen to try out a PCH deal. 

I have a 150 manual estate. Of all the mid power engines I've ever had I find this the best (had various big fords, vw's etc). It's got plenty of torque and unless you're really going for it it's never really wanting. Mines on 17k and still getting better. I wouldn't go for a more powerful one in the superb as it's a wallowy giant barge which leans about a lot of you try to push it. The engine suits it. Rumour has it the 190 doesn't really give you much more unless your pushing the car.

Edited by Bugginbob

Only 900 miles into a 150 in a manual estate but very pleasantly surprised with the engine in all aspects even now. I realise you were after opinions on the 190 though - I've no personal experience but most of the reviews I read preferred the 150.

3 minutes ago, Mon55 said:

Only 900 miles into a 150 in a manual estate but very pleasantly surprised with the engine in all aspects even now. I realise you were after opinions on the 190 though - I've no personal experience but most of the reviews I read preferred the 150.

I'm after opinions on both the 150 and 190, but as you say from what I've found on this forum, many people suggest the performance difference isn't as significant as you would expect. However, most were dsg owners, not many manual reviews.

It's similar on the Octy forum, with the VRS tdi and the 2.0 tdi, not significant differences. I'm someone who likes a quick car that doesn't look quick as opposed to a car that looks quick that doesn't deliver as you would expect. That's why I'm not keen on the VRS diesel, and was wondering about the Superb 190.

The more I look into things, the more I get the impression that I'm going to struggle to improve on what I've currently got. But I simply couldn't go and buy the same car again, what's the point, apart from the assurance of the warranty!

I have a 190 tdi 4x4 estate i purchased a response control box to fix the throttle lag  ,

Other than that the car is standard lnk spec my car flies 0-130+ on a private racetrack of course officer mine is a dsg i prefer auto ,as i drive a van all day #flyingmachine

Looks like a standard estate car

7 minutes ago, jonnybgood said:

I'm someone who likes a quick car that doesn't look quick as opposed to a car that looks quick that doesn't deliver as you would expect.

Perhaps you better visit the 220 or 280 threads then :tongueout:

I find the 150 TDI is a well balanced unit but I wouldnt say it is a fast car. Fast enough for most situations and drivers I would say but still not a fast car.

• Like 1

I've recently taken delivery of a superb 190 tdi in sportline spec . I'm more than happy with the performance of the 190 and  that's coming from a 2015 golf gtd 184 bhp.

It's longed geared than the golf was and the dead feel of the accelerator pedal is an annoyance but give it an open road and it's a really strong torquey engine ,it's really comes into its own at motorway speeds where I believe the 150 model begins to lag! 

I have a 150 tdi manual...

its not a bad engine, pulls it weight well and does not feel lacking for everyday normal driving.. Its not a fast car by any standards nor was i expecting it to be either. the tone from the guff 4cylinder is not the worst out there though by any means, in facts sounds ok... (not as nice as my previous 6 cylinder 5 seriers though !! )

I have been in a Passat 190 and theres not much in it at all lower down the rev range... the 190 pulls harder through through the upper rev range for a little longer..

If its a private purchase, i would go 190, if a company car and BIK involved, 150 (like i did)

16 minutes ago, SportlineBri said:

,it's really comes into its own at motorway speeds where I believe the 150 model begins to lag! 

My 150 TDI pulls fine on the motorway at UK speed limits. 

The engine does struggle a bit to make further progress from around 117/20mph onwards (no chance on a Vmax last time in germany due to road conditions) but it will cruise effortless at 100 / 115 MPH on the German autobahn no problem and feel stable enough with a bit of weight in the car..   60mph to 80mph on 130km roads is also fine when driving through France etc... Thottle lag on ECO v Sport is key here i find unless you push the accelerator to the floor through the "notch/click" 90% down the travel which overrides the ECO map and gives you full power. 

Got another trip out to Holland / Germany in a few months time booked so hoping for some autobhan storming from Southern Holland down to the Ring for some spectator track watching too !!   (Still miss my 5 series driving between WRC stages at 150mph !! ) 

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.

As some of you suggest the 2.0tdi is not a fast unit, but in the non VRS Octy estate it certainly performs a lot better than you would expect from what is an understated looking car.

I've got the estate 190 manual and find it great to drive, stick it in sports mode and it will surprise a lot of other drivers in a traffic light drag, and on the motorway the thing just doesn't seem to stop pulling way beyond speeds that I'm will to drive it to.

• Like 1