My Yeti is finally here. Some questions please.

zuulan

Hi All

After a 6 month wait for my Yeti Monte Carlo, it finally arrived on Wednesday.

Please can I ask some questions? As it's leased I don't have a dealer to ask. I assume no point in asking the leasing company fleetprices.co.uk.   Sorry if they have already been answered elsewhere. 

• Any idea how I can get the digital speedo to read in MPH? I've found the setting for units but can't see anywhere to change the speedo.
  • For those with a Monte Carlo: Are your mats branded with a Monte Carlo logo? Mine is just plain with some red stitching on the edges. 
  • Is there supposed to be a Hi-Vis vest included? I can see where it goes under the driver's seat but the vest is missing.
  • Also is there supposed to be some Box included in the boot?  It's mentioned in the instructions but maybe it's model dependent or it's the thing the air compressor is in.
  • Is power to the in-car 12V socket continuous? The light seems to remain on even after locking the car up. I've plugged in a 3rd party heated seat mat and don't want that on & draining the battery overnight.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by zuulan

The speed reading can only be set to MPH by using third party software and a connection cable ("VCDS") to modify the settings of the car.  You can not do it by using the menus on the car.

The 12v socket is continuously powered, yes (both the front and rear ones).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zuulan said:

Hi All

• Any idea how I can get the digital speedo to read in MPH? I've found the setting for units but can't see anywhere to change the speedo.
  • For those with a Monte Carlo: Are your mats branded with a Monte Carlo logo? Mine is just plain with some red stitching on the edges. 
  • Is there supposed to be a Hi-Vis vest included? I can see where it goes under the driver's seat but the vest is missing.
  • Also is there supposed to be some Box included in the boot?  It's mentioned in the instructions but maybe it's model dependent or it's the thing the air compressor is in.
  • Is power to the in-car 12V socket continuous? The light seems to remain on even after locking the car up. I've plugged in a 3rd party heated seat mat and don't want that on & draining the battery overnight.

Thanks for your help.

1/ As Weasley says above. Lots of threads on here about it.

2/ Pass.

3/ No vest supplied in the UK.

4/ No box that I know of, but there are containers below the carpet for the gunk and pump.

5/ Sockets are permanently live. Interior light should only stay on for a short while after closing a door. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zuulan said:

Hi All

After a 6 month wait for my Yeti Monte Carlo, it finally arrived on Wednesday.

Please can I ask some questions? As it's leased I don't have a dealer to ask. I assume no point in asking the leasing company fleetprices.co.uk.   Sorry if they have already been answered elsewhere. 

Thanks for your help.

I've leased the same through Fleetprices - I thought my 4.5 months wait was bad enough!!

Just checked the mats and they're just black with red stitching - no branding.

Edited by nutey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, weasley said:

The speed reading can only be set to MPH by using third party software and a connection cable ("VCDS") to modify the settings of the car.  You can not do it by using the menus on the car.

The 12v socket is continuously powered, yes (both the front and rear ones).

Won't a Skoda dealer do it?

4 hours ago, nutey said:

I've leased the same through Fleetprices - I thought my 4.5 months wait was bad enough!!

Just checked the mats and they're just black with red stitching - no branding.

Yes, it seemed like a lot of people leap-frogged over my order.  No idea why. Maybe it because I just ordered the standard car with no options.  Did you order yours with options?

Mine also came with 185 miles on the clock!

Edited by zuulan
185 miles!!!

8 minutes ago, zuulan said:

'Fraid not. I don't think the equipment they have allows that sort of access into the car's programming, and they probably won't have the expertise. 

You need to find someone with VCDS and get them to do it, although personally I cannot see the point.

1 minute ago, Llanigraham said:

'Fraid not. I don't think the equipment they have allows that sort of access into the car's programming, and they probably won't have the expertise. 

You need to find someone with VCDS and get them to do it, although personally I cannot see the point.

Thanks.  I'd like it because I prefer the digital speedo, especially as the Yeti has both the speedo and rev counter marked in 10's  and there's no 30, 50 etc marked on the speedo.

Agreed. I'd like a digital mph as 30, 50 and 70 are not clearly marked.

I'd also like the needle sweep on start up and cornering fogs activated. Anyone with experience of making these changes and a VCDS near Cambridge?

You'd both be better asking in the VCDS section in the Forum. I'm sure you will find someone willing for "beer tokens"

EDIT

Zuulan, 

James@RRGRochdale (member here) might be able to help you.

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zuulan said:

Yes, it seemed like a lot of people leap-frogged over my order.  No idea why. Maybe it because I just ordered the standard car with no options.  Did you order yours with options?

Mine also came with 185 miles on the clock!

Mine is standard except the Smartlink. Mine was a driven delivery but only had 50ish miles on the clock, are you a long way from the pdi centre or something?

I did the digital speedometer and needle sweep in the first week. I find the speedo really handy.

23 hours ago, nutey said:

Mine is standard except the Smartlink. Mine was a driven delivery but only had 50ish miles on the clock, are you a long way from the pdi centre or something?

I did the digital speedometer and needle sweep in the first week. I find the speedo really handy.

What this needle sweep thing?  Who did your speedo?

11wda86.jpg

39 minutes ago, zuulan said:

11wda86.jpg

Did it all myself. Pretty easy with VCDS.

Needle sweep is pointless but fun

• Like 1

I was wondering about having the digital speed readout in kph myself, pretty sure with my Octavia these settings were easily changed in the car menu and the Yeti folding mirrors won't activate I understand over 15mph but did on the Octavia. Kind of strange logic to these features! I always folded my mirrors in on my Octavia as I've got a very narrow driveway entrance close to a roundabout and even going out to the white line on the road there wasn't much room for error, the Yeti is I think a wee bit narrower than the Octavia was, so no great issues so far with that side of things.

The reason the digital speedo can't/won't be switched to MPH by a dealer is that to comply with legislation the car must constantly display KPH and MPH.  As the analogue speedo has no KPH markings the digital speedo is fixed on KPH.  In the Octavia the analogue speedo has KPH marked too, so the digital speedo can display MPH.  I can't for the life of me understand why Skoda couldn't be bothered to include an inner ring of KPH markings on the analogue speedo, but we are where we are.

The 'work around' is to swap the car's software to think its Australian where this isn't an issue.  However, in doing so, the car no longer meets EU type approval, which is why dealers won't do it.

High viz vests can be purchased in Poundland, so the absence of one is hardly a crisis!  

Not quite true.  It must be capable of displaying km/h, but it doesn't have to be constant.  On many vehicles with a digital speedo, you can switch between mph and km/h.

Besides, I thought that even when in Aussie mode, you could still get km/h up?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zuulan said:

11wda86.jpg

First red monte I have seen without the Black roof, I opted for the Grey when they stopped the black roof and have not regretted it, however the red still looks good without the black roof as the black wheels and mirrors along with a few other black bits here and there still set it apart from the normal red Yetis.

Out of curiosity what tyres were fitted to the vehicle, on another thread there were alot of recent orders having Nexen tyres fitted which seem to be a lower end tyre, when mine came in Jan it was fitted Goodyears which are great, very quiet and grippy. 

3 hours ago, jonnyboy78 said:

First red monte I have seen without the Black roof, I opted for the Grey when they stopped the black roof and have not regretted it, however the red still looks good without the black roof as the black wheels and mirrors along with a few other black bits here and there still set it apart from the normal red Yetis.

Out of curiosity what tyres were fitted to the vehicle, on another thread there were alot of recent orders having Nexen tyres fitted which seem to be a lower end tyre, when mine came in Jan it was fitted Goodyears which are great, very quiet and grippy. 

Everyone else's order seem to be leap frog over mine, hence the 6 month wait. So I wonder if mine is the only 17 reg Monte Carlo.

Just checked my tyres and they are Nexen.  I hope they are still decent.

5 hours ago, zuulan said:

Everyone else's order seem to be leap frog over mine, hence the 6 month wait. So I wonder if mine is the only 17 reg Monte Carlo.

Just checked my tyres and they are Nexen.  I hope they are still decent.

Don't think there is anything wrong with them as all tyres these days meet a minimum required standard, it was just mentioned on another thread that Skoda normally ship with Pirelli or Goodyears but recently started to fit Nexen (i think they are Korean), so when I got my Monte I was expecting Nexens to be fitted but was quite surprised to find it had Goodyears and thought maybe they had gone back to the more familiar brands, so it does seem a bit of pot luck these days as to what you get.

I think you will enjoy your monte...I sure am the DSG combination is really great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2017 at 12:44, zuulan said:

Just thought I'd report on this socket problem.  I have indeed left the heated seat on all day whilst at work but the car still started fine afterwards, with the heated seat only slightly warm.  I guess the car knows when the battery is in danger or draining, so limits the power to the 12v socket then.

Clever Yeti!