Two Way Radio Install

northern_bloke

I am after some help.. I am a member of a Mountain Rescue team and need to try and fit my radio into my new car. I was hoping that there would be enough room in the boot to fit the radio and then run a remote mounting kit into the front, unfortunately the spare tyre fills the void too well.

Anyone fitted any PMR/HAM kit into a citigo?

Thanks 

16 hours ago, northern_bloke said:

I am after some help.. I am a member of a Mountain Rescue team and need to try and fit my radio into my new car. I was hoping that there would be enough room in the boot to fit the radio and then run a remote mounting kit into the front, unfortunately the spare tyre fills the void too well.

Anyone fitted any PMR/HAM kit into a citigo?

Thanks 

If you can live without the spare wheel, the tyre inflation kit and the foam that holds it all takes up just half the spare wheel well :thumbup: 

9 hours ago, Hyphons said:

If you can live without the spare wheel, the tyre inflation kit and the foam that holds it all takes up just half the spare wheel well :thumbup: 

No chance of that. Bought a spare wheel intentionally after trying that foam on my last car. 

• Like 1

Can I ask what size radio The Team use ? I'm a Radio Amateur and have a 2m radio setup in my Fabia, the radio is capable of 50watts and is no bigger than a Radio/Cd, You can get a HF Radio not much bigger, older equipment used to be massive in size, are they using older gear ?

9 hours ago, Tyredcyclist said:

Don't own a citigo but is there space under the front passenger seat?

Not a bad idea.. I'll have to have a look..

8 hours ago, ituksw said:

Can I ask what size radio The Team use ? I'm a Radio Amateur and have a 2m radio setup in my Fabia, the radio is capable of 50watts and is no bigger than a Radio/Cd, You can get a HF Radio not much bigger, older equipment used to be massive in size, are they using older gear ?

They used to be quite compact,  but the new one I have to fit is a Digital unit and is a bit bigger. https://www.simocogroup.com/products-and-technologies/mobiles/sdm622-mobile-radio#transmitter Luckily the microphone is a full control head so it means the radio doesn't need to be accessible.

Be aware that fitting any transmitting device in the car has to be done correctly or there is a risk of triggering the airbags.

John