Hard to rotate front wheels

Hi all,

I've been having trouble with my 1.9 SDI. Really have to slip the clutch to get moving and mpg is worse at all speeds according to trip CPU. 

Another symptom is that car doesn't gain speed downhill even if I put clutch in. 

To try and cure this Ive since serviced / replaced all brakes to no improvement.

Whilst doing the front brakes I noticed that front wheels are really hard to rotate (even with two hands) while on jack's and out of gear. No free spin at all. I tried with  calliper removed too just to make sure it's not brakes as I first though.

Is it gearbox / diff? It's the same on both sides. Came on fairly suddenly a few weeks after service so I noticed the rapid deterioration in performance. Car was running a treat too :crying:

Please help I don't want to pay a garage to start "investigating"

• 6 years later...
On 04/03/2017 at 21:51, JosiahM said:

Hi all,

I've been having trouble with my 1.9 SDI. Really have to slip the clutch to get moving and mpg is worse at all speeds according to trip CPU. 

Another symptom is that car doesn't gain speed downhill even if I put clutch in. 

To try and cure this Ive since serviced / replaced all brakes to no improvement.

Whilst doing the front brakes I noticed that front wheels are really hard to rotate (even with two hands) while on jack's and out of gear. No free spin at all. I tried with  calliper removed too just to make sure it's not brakes as I first though.

Is it gearbox / diff? It's the same on both sides. Came on fairly suddenly a few weeks after service so I noticed the rapid deterioration in performance. Car was running a treat too :crying:

Please help I don't want to pay a garage to start "investigating"

Hi! Any updates? How you sorted out?