Mud flaps

nugbuv

I am thinking about fitting front and rear mudflaps. In terms of keeping muck off the car, do Skoda's own brand work, or is there a generic brand that works better?

Just fitted the Skoda ones, bought using the recent Caffyn's discount, and they do stop some of the muck. I looked at a couple of generic ones and none of them seem to allow the use of the standard mountings, but require either clamps or holes drilled.................no thanks!

Make sure you order the correct ones, there is a difference between the Outdoor and the City versions.

And the middle screws of the back ones currently are a bit short, so you need to replace them with something about 10mm longer for ease of fitment.

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1

I've not tried the Yeti without mudflaps but my experience of the OEM mudflaps (dealer and factory fit)is that I expected a lot more protection than I get. This is over three Yeti's. If I was starting anew I would investigate larger flaps.

BTW I don't want to start a comparison of MPG with and without mudflaps again!:angry:

FRED

39 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Just fitted the Skoda ones, bought using the recent Caffyn's discount, and they do stop some of the muck. I looked at a couple of generic ones and none of them seem to allow the use of the standard mountings, but require either clamps or holes drilled.................no thanks!

Make sure you order the correct ones, there is a difference between the Outdoor and the City versions.

And the middle screws of the back ones currently are a bit short, so you need to replace them with something about 10mm longer for ease of fitment.

Sounds like a balance between good looks (Skoda) and efficiency (larger ones). What, please, is the Caffyn's discount?

Fit the Skoda Flaps for your model, I am very pleased with them

as they make more of a difference than I expected.

You can always extend them a few inches and a little on the width

by adding some thin stainless steel.

7 minutes ago, nugbuv said:

Sounds like a balance between good looks (Skoda) and efficiency (larger ones). What, please, is the Caffyn's discount?

Caffyns are a dealer who have an on-line shop and were offering an extra discount in addition to their normal cheap prices recently. It has now stopped.

1 minute ago, Llanigraham said:

Caffyns are a dealer who have an on-line shop and were offering an extra discount in addition to their normal cheap prices recently. It has now stopped.

Ah, so not a discount to Briskodians, then. At least I can visit them online to find part numbers, before I go search the likes of ehBoy.

Fitted original flaps to mine soon after delivery. Like others not convinced that they do the best job in the world. But in my opinion they finish the car off nicely, especially at the rear. 

As others have said the middle screw on the rear didn't want to bite on mine. I replaced the middle screw with on of these. 

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=310504&productId=563951&storeId=10001

Different head but not noticeable unless your looking in the wheel arch! Cheap and easy to clean from any Halfords. 

Just be careful you don't strip the threads. They only need to be hand tight. 

• Like 1

If you want some longer screws I've a bag of them here. PM me your address and I'll bung a couple in the post to you FOC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edwards said:

If you want some longer screws I've a bag of them here. PM me your address and I'll bung a couple in the post to you FOC.

Thank for the very kind offer, I popped into Halfords and picked up a packet SimonVespa suggested

• Like 1