Creaking Tailgate?

Those might be the next port of call as I've greased and lubed it all. Ow and it's still there. Might get someone to sit in the back see if it's the latches  on the seats. 

Its not all the time which is annoying. It's more obvious when you set off or go over a speed bump, you know when the car is getting a bit of movement 

Ok, so I ran the car without the rear tailgate struts the other day...still creaking.

Ive lubed and greased everything I can, and still its there.

Anything else you can suggest? (apart from turning the radio up....)

You haven't modified the rear suspension, have you? My rear sway bar is, I'm sure, a source of creaking from the rear at slow speeds over uneven ground. Suspension guys insist it's fitted correctly. Sometimes, these sorts of sounds seem to come from other places.

• Like 1

Have springs on but that's it. 

Put some WD40 on the hinges as I've been using white grease and it looks horrendous. 

Seems to have relived it a bit. Just need to find something more permanent and see if that works. 

• 3 months later...

Hi any updates on this?

I have just replaced my whole suspension (springs, shocks, top mounts, link bars) in an attempt to eliminate this annoying creek (and also to lower my car at the same time lol) and it is still creeks over bumps and when going over un-even ground.

I have also removed the spare wheel foam, spare wheel, parcel shelf, and dropped the rear seats. In addition to removing the passenger side rear door card and putting foam pads all around (about 5pcs of them!) all to no avail! 

I am currently working a night shift and have come across this thread so will be lifting up the rear seat bases on the way home and will see if that makes any difference.

I can swear its the rear passenger side door card though! 

Hopefully will have some luck as im considering selling the car as its driving me that crazy! 

30 minutes ago, S27VEJ said:

Hi mate. 

To to be honest. No. 

Mine still does it. At my wits end to be fair. 

Hiya,

I solved my creeking issue this afternoon!

Got a tin of copper grease out today along with a paint brush, folded the rear seats forward and greased all the hinges and mechanisms I could see, clipped the seats in and out a few times.

Then lifted the rear seat bases and greased every bit of metal i could see lol, again folded up and down a few times.

I then greased all the door hinges and rear boot lid hinge/mechanism, opened and closed them all a few times. 

The annoying creek of death is gone!

My creeking was quite bad, everytime i was driving on/off my driveway, over speed bumps, or uneven bit of road it sounded like my car was about to fall apart at the rear.

Very surprised that greasing the rear seat hinges, doors and tailgate solved the issue! 

Think I might keep the car instead of getting rid of it now lol! 

Hope this helps

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

Edited by CRZ13

That's pretty much what mine is doing. 

I have greased mine before I will admit but I'll have to give them another going over I think and try the Seat too as I've ran about with the seat folded down and it still does it! 

Edited by S27VEJ

Mine still creaked with the seat folded down too. 

Grab yourself a tin of copper grease and a thin pain brush and go all out as i did lol

especially on the mechanism at back of the rear seats that locks into the hooks (1 each side) 

made a world of difference on mine

?

Why messy copper grease?  Not appropriate really for interior etc, greases have certain uses.

Maybe some 'White Grease' (white spray grease) or other substance like Silicone Spray /lubricant will do the job and be a bit cleaner / neater.

Edited by Awayoffski

As above, some big cleaning bills will start to roll in!

Once I bought a product called, I think, "Liquid Gold" - it was for bike bottom bracket greasing and pitch black, I used that on quite a few door handles in our house, that caused so annoyance when wife found it sneeking/creeping out and getting on her dusters!  Only problem now is, I don't know where I put it after using it as it was, or looked, to be very good stuff!

Be careful if applying grease of any kind to or near to the boot unlocking unit. They are quite sensitive according to my dealer when I had to buy a new one after I thought I did a nice job of lubing it up! It started to mis-fire and play up, ending up sounding like a machine gun , firing constantly when opening the boot! It seems they like to be clinically clean, not caked in grease, even if nice new grease!

I'll be honest I've used white grease before sparingly and it calmed things down for a while but the famed creak still appeared. 

Going to have a mess about today as I have a long trip tomorrow to Shelley Walsh fir the Retro Rides Gathering, and I know it will drive me mad!