Milotek Bonnet Lifters

So this morning I went and fitted to Milotek Bonnet Lifters. More expensive than the ones from SuperSkoda, but that is because of the extra brackets included.

These brackets help steepen the angle for the bonnet lifters, giving them a bit more push.

The only tricky bit is adding the brackets to the bonnet itself. I used a bath towel wedged between the bonnet and windscreen to support it while adding the brackets. And once the bonnet lifters were in place, adjusted the bonnet so it was in proper line with the rest of the car when closed.

The lifters seem to kick in quickly enough, though you do have to push it up the last inch or two to fully extend them. Bonnet feels nice and secure.

Overall happy with them so far.

20170319_120517_zpssmccfgwz.jpg

20170319_120527_zpsb9tdvftm.jpg20170319_120531_zpsrmsqbqpv.jpg

Including Delivery they worked about £75. But all the bits come with these, including the washers.

I got these over the SuperSkoda ones because they included all the bits.

One thing also to note with these, is that you need the same spline bit to undo the nuts on the bonnet, that you would use to remove the front seats. Fortunately I had one of those from when I fitted the extra under seat box.

• Like 1

I have the Superskoda ones on mine and having struts on the bonnet is just so useful I wouldn't be without them.

The Milotec ones were not around when I bought the Superskoda ones. I did get them afterwards as they are better made but getting a bit of use from the ones I have before swapping them.

Although the Superskoda ones (or the home-made variant) work well the brackets on the milotec ones are an improvement and worth the difference IMHO

9 hours ago, flybynite said:

I have the Superskoda ones on mine and having struts on the bonnet is just so useful I wouldn't be without them.

Perhaps I lack imagination, but I can't think of how they can be that useful? I mean, once the bonnet is open, it's open, and it doesn't matter how it's held up? Do you have reasons to open your bonnet constantly - flat battery, leaking coolant? :blink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pjam73 said:

Perhaps I lack imagination, but I can't think of how they can be that useful? I mean, once the bonnet is open, it's open, and it doesn't matter how it's held up? Do you have reasons to open your bonnet constantly - flat battery, leaking coolant? :blink:

No, check the oil, check the coolant reasonably regularly I admit not everyone does that but I do it on all of mine, prefer not to be surprised by the oil light.

When I clean it I have the bonnet open to clean the crap from round the wipers and sides, maybe others don't bother.

I tend to trickle charge it when coding to save the voltage dropping but again not everyone does that.

The useful bit is you don't have a bonnet stay right in your way when doing it. They are not impossible to dislodge if you knock them the right way either.

If you have ever had the wind lift a bonnet off it's stay and drop it on your head that would do wonders for your imagination but maybe it is not that windy in Melbourne :tongueout:

• Like 1

Being used to bonnet struts on my previous car, I kept on forgetting and letting go of the bonnet, I just had to get them before I did myself an injury. I also bought the superskoda ones which so far have been ok.

23 hours ago, flybynite said:

If you have ever had the wind lift a bonnet off it's stay and drop it on your head that would do wonders for your imagination but maybe it is not that windy in Melbourne

That's the best reason I've read so far :-)

It does get windy here, but I'm originally from the UK so I'm aware of bad weather ;-)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 19/3/2017 at 13:17, WayTooTall said:

So this morning I went and fitted to Milotek Bonnet Lifters. More expensive than the ones from SuperSkoda, but that is because of the extra brackets included.

These brackets help steepen the angle for the bonnet lifters, giving them a bit more push.

The only tricky bit is adding the brackets to the bonnet itself. I used a bath towel wedged between the bonnet and windscreen to support it while adding the brackets. And once the bonnet lifters were in place, adjusted the bonnet so it was in proper line with the rest of the car when closed.

The lifters seem to kick in quickly enough, though you do have to push it up the last inch or two to fully extend them. Bonnet feels nice and secure.

Overall happy with them so far.

20170319_120517_zpssmccfgwz.jpg

20170319_120527_zpsb9tdvftm.jpg20170319_120531_zpsrmsqbqpv.jpg

What ajusting is required on the bonnet after the brackets go on ? I plan to do this saturday when i have time 

When I detached the bonnet from each arm to add the bracket, I must have not quite marked the position of the bonnet correctly, so when I reattached the bonnet to the arm, it was in a slightly different place.

When I closed the bonnet, you could see that the line of it wasn't quite right. So then just lossened of the spline nut, moved the bonnet slightly and tightened up. Closed it and checked the line. Repeated as nessesary.

It wasn't a huge adjustment. Just changing the angle slightly to get the line correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WayTooTall said:

When I detached the bonnet from each arm to add the bracket, I must have not quite marked the position of the bonnet correctly, so when I reattached the bonnet to the arm, it was in a slightly different place.

When I closed the bonnet, you could see that the line of it wasn't quite right. So then just lossened of the spline nut, moved the bonnet slightly and tightened up. Closed it and checked the line. Repeated as nessesary.

It wasn't a huge adjustment. Just changing the angle slightly to get the line correct.

Thanks for the info i will have a go at it saturday