EPIC gearbox Fail - Help

So last year my old man bought a Skoda - Octavia Mk 2- 2.0 TDi - 140bhp - 2010 - 55k miles, FSH. Kind of my recommendation, since I own a Superb and (touch wood) has been a dream. He's 73 and on his last car (or so we thought). He bought it with the last of his pay out after my mum died suddenly last year.

Yesterday we set off to Cornwall to pick up a caravan, we got 20 miles down the road to go and get it, and it jumps out of 6th on the motorway doing 80mph (odd), and then 20 seconds later starts to sound like a bag of spanners, we pulled over straight away and got towed home. 

It has had a gearbox leak, which he didn't have the money to get fixed, he told the garage a month ago to make sure the gearbox oil level was full, they kind of pied him of saying 'yeah yeah it's fine'. Turns out its not. 

I just wanted to do two things - VENT - AND ask if any one has heard of gear box problems on these, oil leaks, failures. Also being the type of guy that just takes his cars to the garage for maintenance (so managed to avoid these types of issues myself) what are the options from here? Its currently parked on his driveway. 

I would say pretty rare as the 6 speed box is pretty tough, although you do hear about failing dmf taking out gearboxes.

I've done 170k on mine and still fine so 55k seems such a low mileage for the gearbox to fail and sounds like the loss of oil has caused it too fail.

As said it's pretty rare for 6 speed box to give trouble, jumping out of 6th and sounding like a bag of spanners tells me the box has lunched itself, the leak would have had some input to this as well (could be the root cause if indeed it ran out of oil) does sound like the garage fobbed your father off as it's not a difficult thing to check although you do have to drop the undertray (10 minute job with air or power tools, took my previous octavia mk2 one plenty of times). 

Unfortunatley the best way forward is to source a good second hand gearbox (there are plenty of mk2 octy's being broken on ebay) and have good reputable garage fit it, the downside being labour cost and cost of a Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch as it's best to renew these at same time, although again there are kits on ebay that include the clutch and DMF from about £300 pounds. A new DMF from skoda is around the £500 mark or was when thought my clutch was on it's way out.

Edited by Ju1ian1001

There's been an issue with the 6-speed 'boxes on some models, Octavia 2 included where the pressure plate spring could split and eat its way through the gearbox casing. Worst case it results in the car dumping out its oil and the gearbox dying. Skoda have issued a service bulletin on this issue: "Technical Product Information 2039427/5". In the case of a failed gearbox, Skoda have said they'll eat the cost of the new 'box plus clutch. You're still paying for a DMF but it's a damn sight better than paying for a new gearbox.

Take a read through this thread before you get any work done:

I've one

12 hours ago, chimaera said:

There's been an issue with the 6-speed 'boxes on some models, Octavia 2 included where the pressure plate spring could split and eat its way through the gearbox casing. Worst case it results in the car dumping out its oil and the gearbox dying. Skoda have issued a service bulletin on this issue: "Technical Product Information 2039427/5". In the case of a failed gearbox, Skoda have said they'll eat the cost of the new 'box plus clutch. You're still paying for a DMF but it's a damn sight better than paying for a new gearbox.

Take a read through this thread before you get any work done:

I've one with this issue in bits at the moment 160K on it with FSSH - no photos here but I'll get a few - pressure plate had failed and cut a hole in the belhousing, letting all the oil out, seizing 5/6th gears :-(  Currently at the gearbox repair workshop.  Needs a bell housing to repair, unfortunately being a 4x4 it's a bit on the scarce side, not too many of the correct ratio either. Must see how much milage I get out of the "Technical Product Information 2039427/5" for a new casing?

18 minutes ago, Stevie D said:

I've one

I've one with this issue in bits at the moment 160K on it with FSSH - no photos here but I'll get a few - pressure plate had failed and cut a hole in the belhousing, letting all the oil out, seizing 5/6th gears :-(  Currently at the gearbox repair workshop.  Needs a bell housing to repair, unfortunately being a 4x4 it's a bit on the scarce side, not too many of the correct ratio either. Must see how much milage I get out of the "Technical Product Information 2039427/5" for a new casing?

Based on the experience of others on that thread you'll probably get stonewalled by Skoda for not bringing the car to them for repair. It's worth a shot though. Skoda have acknowledged this as a problem. The bulletin is available on erWin to download - might be worth getting it before talking to Skoda.

Thanks for replies so far. Seems like a known issue. I will approach Skoda. We don't have Skoda service history as previously thought, but we do know it's on its original clutch. 

I have read read the other thread in full and the responses. I am a complete amateur on all of this, am I right in saying it's best to buy access to Skoda erWin system using Dads VIN number and see if the known issue applies to his car? 

It it seems this Technical Product Information was issued after the chap in the other thread had already had his issues.

I am reluctant to go anywhere near the dealer workshop with their charges unless I know I stand a chance of them fitting the bill. 

Thanks again for for any help, very much appreciated.

If you have the printout from erWin, it'll be difficult for Skoda to ignore the issue. IIRC it's about £7 for an hour's access on erWin, or 20-something for 24 hours.

This is all assuming that the issue is in fact this one. The catch 22 here is that you don't know until you drop the gearbox, and any garage who does that much will expect to have the rest of the job.

I've wondered if removing the starter and putting a fibre-optic inspection camera in there would show enough of the area to determine what's gone wrong. This could be something to discuss with your own mechanic before committing to having it opened up by a Skoda garage.

Exactly what I was told when my Scout engine went. Car was over 5 years old (2010 model) so SUK weren't interested despite low miles, FSSH and considerable brand loyalty. 

Thanks for your help on this guys. Its currently with a local garage, gear box recon and new clutch and dmv - £1400, then I think we'll sell it and buy some thing cheaper to get the repair bill back. 

One other problem we have, is the boot well where the spare wheel is kept keeps filling with water. Ive tried looking for other threads on that, if any one has seen it discussed and can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. 

Thanks.

Dunno where it is as I have an estate so doesn't have the same issue, but there's definitely a few threads on here about water in spare wheel. From memory, I think it's summat to do with turning the rubber seal around so the holes are at the bottom. If they're at the top, the water comes in and has nowhere to go apart from into the boot. Might be wrong, but have a look as it's on here somewhere.

Is the water in the wheel well clean or is it screen wash tainted? If screen wash, issue could be with a connection on the pipe work on the near side of the boot. If it's just rainwater issue could be the boot seal. Both issues are not uncommon. 

Obvious but good point Sarge; I'll check the water when it's out of the garage.  

I will also have a look for the threads where you mention the seals being turned around. 

Cheers guys