Octavia asking for Oil change too soon?

Hey all,

New to the forum and new to Skoda. So far I am loving the car.

There is one question I thought I'd ask before I contact my dealer. I bought the car brand new and have had it for 4 months and have done 2600 miles so far, the other day the 'Oil service needed' started appearing and it now comes on after starting the car and every time I turn it off.

Looked in the manual and it seems to mean that it wants an oil change. Is 2600 miles a bit too soon or do I need to hurry up and get it sorted?

Thanks in advance

P.S. it is an Octavia SE 2016 1.6 Diesel

3 hours ago, Val17 said:

Hey all,

New to the forum and new to Skoda. So far I am loving the car.

There is one question I thought I'd ask before I contact my dealer. I bought the car brand new and have had it for 4 months and have done 2600 miles so far, the other day the 'Oil service needed' started appearing and it now comes on after starting the car and every time I turn it off.

Looked in the manual and it seems to mean that it wants an oil change. Is 2600 miles a bit too soon or do I need to hurry up and get it sorted?

Thanks in advance

P.S. it is an Octavia SE 2016 1.6 Diesel

Hi Val, welcome to the forum. Even on fixed servicing (<10,000 miles / 12 months) this would appear to be far too soon - unless the oil has somehow become contaminated with something - what does the oil look like when you pull the dipstick? One other thought, you say the car is brand new, but has it perhaps been sitting at the dealers for a few months before you bought it? The cars usually come from the factory set for variable servicing, but the dealer is supposed to reset the service schedule regime if the car is going to do less than 10K miles annually.

Edited by Warrior193
Missed out welcome to new member

Welcome to the forum.

Best check with the Dealership, when they first received your new car, when a Technician did the PDI and set the Service Indicator, 

and when they want to send out a Technician to reset it correctly or they can use one of the Many Mobile Technicians out doing 'the Fix'.

If you choose to go to a Dealership to have the Service Indicator reset or any fault diagnosed be sure to claim your expenses and time wasted.

Dealership hourly rate of £50-£65 is about rate if they made some error, and £5.50 a gallon.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Welcome to the forum.

Best check with the Dealership, when they first received your new car, when a Technician did the PDI and set the Service Indicator, 

and when they want to send out a Technician to reset it correctly or they can use one of the Many Mobile Technicians out doing 'the Fix'.

If you choose to go to a Dealership to have the Service Indicator reset or any fault diagnosed be sure to claim your expenses and time wasted.

Dealership hourly rate of £50-£65 is about rate if they made some error, and £5.50 a gallon.

Ouch.

They need to learn if any poor employee performance makes customers suffer expense or even concern. 

Only way Dealership learn.

Principal Dealers and Company Directors need to take care, Customer Care taken seriously.

23 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Val, welcome to the forum. Even on fixed servicing (<10,000 miles / 12 months) this would appear to be far too soon - unless the oil has somehow become contaminated with something - what does the oil look like when you pull the dipstick? One other thought, you say the car is brand new, but has it perhaps been sitting at the dealers for a few months before you bought it? The cars usually come from the factory set for variable servicing, but the dealer is supposed to reset the service schedule regime if the car is going to do less than 10K miles annually.

Yes it was one they had at the compound, it was unregistered and only had a few miles on it. I reckon they had it sitting there for a while which is why I got it at a discount.

Should I just go there and get them to reset it or something?

If an error they usually say nothing they can do, 

so they can service it if it is 372 days or so since the PDI was done and it is on Fixed Servicing,  then the records will be 'Full Main Dealer Service History' 

and you will not be paying £149 if they never told you it would need a Minor Service after only 4 months from New to you.

1 minute ago, Val17 said:

Yes it was one they had at the compound, it was unregistered and only had a few miles on it. I reckon they had it sitting there for a while which is why I got it at a discount.

Should I just go there and get them to reset it or something?

Hi val, Provided that the oil looks OK (not Obviously contaminated) that would probably be the way forward - but if the car is actually 1 year old, the oil might actually require a change. Take a look at at Offskis post too.

48 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well, if it's been "sat in a compound" for several months, it's probably been ragged from cold every few days. I'd ask for a complimentary oil change.

Would that be the Italian battery charge?

Val17,

please ignore the light hearted banter, your car is fine and now nicely run in.  

New oil in now with a filter change would be good if the PDI was almost a year ago.

So if the First Registered it lots of months after the PDI the Manufacturers Warranty started when first registered.

As to when the Oil Service / Service is due i would push the Dealership to pay for that unless the terms of sale was that Servicing would be required so soon after you purchased the car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this might be resolved by now but it could be a problem due to low mileage / DPF Regeneration. If there's a lot of slow driving and the regeneration is happening a lot it will dilute the engine oil causing an oil quality issue throwing up the oil change message...

• 6 months later...

I got an oil change notification today (change oil in 1200 miles) which I think is too soon as the oil was changed in April this year by the dealer (I supplied them the oil). I could have probably done about 5k miles from April. I dont think this is normal but any ideas why this could happen? 

Thanks. 

Edited by alladin1616
correction

I also got one that seemed early on my 1.4 petrol. Last service was done at the same time as MOT at the end of November 16, I'd done about 8.5-9k miles in about 10.5 months when it started saying it needed an oil change which I thought was a bit early.