Fuel consumption display

I am looking at these OBD2 HUD (Heads Up Displays) on Ebay and I wonder if the fuel consumption (L/100 km) works on the MK1? Can you get the fuel consumption info through the OBD2 port on a 2001 Octy?

Edited by MujoBijeli

3 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

At least on an Elegance or an L&K, if you put the standard trip computer into mode 2, you can get fuel consumption for the last 100 run hours on the readout. Good enough?

That'd be great if mine was an elegance or L&K. Mine is the Ambiente. Can I somehow get that info on that one?

Other than VCDS I have a generic ELM327 lead that I run with Pro-Scan and that gives a fuel consumption readout just based on the OBDll data from the diagnostic port

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Other than VCDS I have a generic ELM327 lead that I run with Pro-Scan and that gives a fuel consumption readout just based on the OBDll data from the diagnostic port

Thank you for your answer. So from what I can deduce the car can show the fuel consumption even if that wasn't built into the dash by default. You've renewed my hope. Thank you again.

My '04 ambiente had a fuel consumption readout on the trip display?

Instant and average on both current trip and overall (100hrs?) Trip modes.

@MujoBijeli Does your washer stalk have a rocker switch on the end, and a button (not obvious from a normal driving position) labelled "reset" on the underside? If so, then the rocker switch cycles through the available data, replacing the time display in the rev counter. I can't remember how to switch mode 1 and mode 2, or what data are in mode 2 other than time and fuel use for last 100 hours.

10 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@MujoBijeli Does your washer stalk have a rocker switch on the end, and a button (not obvious from a normal driving position) labelled "reset" on the underside? If so, then the rocker switch cycles through the available data, replacing the time display in the rev counter. I can't remember how to switch mode 1 and mode 2, or what data are in mode 2 other than time and fuel use for last 100 hours.

Tapping the reset button goes between modes, a long hold resets all data on the current mode:)

It did have a rocker switch, and i could switch between instant fuel consumption (l/100 km when moving, l/h when in idle or reverse) and average fuel consumption. There was also some other things (possibly range? It was a symbol of a fuel pump and it said "700" underneath).

I only tapped the reset button, didn't see it do anything, didn't want to hold it in.

Thank you for your help, it was very helpful. 

@MujoBijeli You may (look closely) be able to see a small [1] or [2] on some of the data from the rocker switch. Which mode you're in isn't that clear.

Mode 1 gives time, ambient temperature, available range (700 sounds plausible for that in km), fuel economy (current journey; resets if car is left engine off for 2 hours), instantaneous fuel economy (may go to "---.-" if you lift off going downhill) and average speed (current journey; resets...2 hours).

I don't really use Mode 2, but it includes time, ambient temp, engine run hours since last reset, fuel economy since last reset. It will reset when run hours tick over from 99:59.

• Like 1

I will look at that. I might hav been in Mode 1, but I also did cycle through time and ambient temperature. So I'm not sure which mode I am in. Since I didn't mess with the reset button. I just clicked the rocker switch to cycle through those things.

@MujoBijeli the [1] or [2] is really small, almost unreadable and I have 20/20 vision. You need to look closely at the values that aren't time or ambient temperature with the car stationary to see which you have. Don't be afraid of the reset button; it doesn't affect anything except the trip computer, not even the mileage (kilometerage?) readouts.