Another Year Another Alternator Pulley

Somethings wrong? I bet its the alternator pulley again. And yep it was, totally frozen with no free wheeling action. New one on, getting it back together slowly.

32851740973_a93e348ea4_z (1).jpg

• Like 1

Check the other components on the FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) - odds are another pulley/idler/tensioner isn't working correctly (or it was a cheap OAP) - otherwise you better get another one, odds are it will go again in the same time frame/mileage (especially if the original failure was the same). Make sure that the end cap is secure too.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 19:51, Nackuk said:

Somethings wrong? I bet its the alternator pulley again. And yep it was, totally frozen with no free wheeling action. New one on, getting it back together slowly.

32851740973_a93e348ea4_z (1).jpg

Nackuk, what length of time and mileage did that clutch pulley last and what brand was it? Are you still on the original alternator?

The first I changed at 110K with the timing belt (it was still working), and anything else while I had the front off, as it was easy to get at everything. (I brought the car at 80K I think in 2010.

So this second one only lasted 40K :( it was and the new replacement INA's.

The power steering pump pulley seamed full of play so I changed that too.

The car drove great for a week and now somethings really wrong again. Rotational biased. Got the drive belt off, doesn't seem to be either the pulley or the power steering pump :( 

Need to get the front off or forward again though to identify the problem, its not obvious where its coming from, but the metallic noise is!

Edited by Nackuk

Have you replaced the drive belt tensioner, if its original could be on its last legs and possible collateral damage from the seized alt pulley. Crankshaft balancer/harmonic balancer possibly separating with age/wear. Hope you get it sorted let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Keeping my mind open. The drive belt tensioner is doing its job well. Was vibrating hard with the old alternator pulley wheel, vibrating smoothly with the new one on. Hence I could not work out where the noise was coming from. Drive belt off at present so can't restart engine, and need to move the front forward to get it back on.

• 2 weeks later...

After I changed my pulley I thought the tensioner was fine, and indeed it was working OK, but when I took it off it had leaked quite a bit of its fluid from the hammering.  It was original to the car, mind.

My INA replacement pulley / tensioner has done pretty well so far.  I think it is up to 90K or so.  I should probably change it if I still have the car next cam belt, or maybe sooner. 

Hope you get it sorted.

Does it still make the noise with the aux belt off?

Yeah I sorted it yesterday.

The problem lied with the pulley of the power steering pump. The new one I got was about 2mm out of alignment with the belt route, not a lot but it was obvious, so I put a washer behind the pulley bolts when installing it. This has seemingly over a week allowed the pulley to be worn away at the bolt holes and the inner office! A second hand pump and pulley has now been put on, and she is running silky quietly again. From the noise you would have never have guessed it was this, or even until I took the pump off, to replace it as I thought it could only be a internal issue with the pump I replaced. Even when the belt was loose the pulley wheel was firmly fixed to the pump, so surprised what has happened here!

Fixed now though and happy.

34347789455_90ab15618a_z.jpg

Edited by Nackuk
  • Like 1

cheap copy pump tolerances. You reuse the original pulley. Although now you couldn't, so I got another. Of the four pumps I got in the end only the one I brought as the original replacement was out. arrrrrrgggg - we have all been there too cheap to cheerful waste of money. Hopefully this second hand one will outlast the car now anyway, and the power steering system has fresh juice in it rather than the 14 year old stuff.

Edited by Nackuk
  • Like 1