Paint chip - help

Hello all, looking for a bit of advice.  I have a 14 plate Rapid Sport and noticed that I had a chip in the bonnet.  It is pretty small but deep and goes all the way through to the paint.  I got in touch wit chips away and they said that other than getting the whole bonnet resprayed I might be able to get the dealer to sort.

I was wondering if there was a way that you would be able to touch it up so that it looks OK.  It is on PCP and due up within the year so I dont want to get hit with any big bills when I hand it back (although this could come under wear and tear?)

Thanks

Buy a paint stick from the dealer, clean the chip and drop paint in via a cocktail stick allow to dry, more paint in and finally drop in some top coat.

All supplied with the kit, except the cocktail stick.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

As above - it's fine don't worry. However, if you know what you are doing, you could always grab a touch-up kit from your dealer. But beware, it doesn't take much for a chip touch up to look a hell of a lot worse than the chip itself. 

• Like 1

Do not just do nothing if a chip is through the paint.

At least as soon as possible you either drop a drip of touch up paint in, or even nail varnish / colour or clear.

You can deal with various chips properly or have someone do when it is time for the car to go, you dont want rust though.

Really a Bonnet should not need respraying unless new surfaced roads or Gritters have been destroying it.

(Corrida Red if that is what you have is about as easy to touch up or blow in of any Skoda colour.)

(2 Bottles of Red Varnish at Factory Shop, B&M or what ever is a better colour match and easy to drop in chips compared to Mixed Paint Touch ups.)

Huge choices of nail varnishes in Super Markets, Discount Stores and even Classy Shops.... You should get a match for anything. Or chat up an assistant..

Kerb Side Motors always have supplies of various Nail Varnish, Shoe / Boot Polish, Peanut Butter etc for doing a Full Valet......Or should have.

• Like 1

Of course you do when you are doing the job properly.

But if you have a chip happen and no time to mess about and have no paint with you get it protected quick if through to the metal.

(Nail varnish does that, then you just remove and do the job more professionally later, or have a professional do it.)

rsz_dsci0128.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

6 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

eg ,

A Full 'Kerb Side Auto' Post winter 'quick fix' body and wheel refurbish kit from B&M @ £7.98.

DSCI0122.JPG

I might do that on an old banger, but wouldn't dream of doing it to either of our new-ish cars.  The proper touch-up kits are £15 max and are an exact colour match.

A new car right out the showroom or hire car is exactly what i would fill a chip in ASAP until the chip could be repaired, ie Nail Varnish or just some grease will do.

buying paint for your own car is OK and sensible, but doing some repair that then needs corrected properly is what many do.

Buy the way, the posts are not actually to be taken too seriously. Like light hearted type thing.

Edited by Awayoffski

Probably should have said the last bit sooner. There really wasn't any clues

in your previous posts that they were meant to be a wind-up or a joke?

I was beginning to think you had lost the plot - nail varnish????

You can see the results of my touch up on this thread.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/425644-touch-up-pens/

Before and after pictures are there.

product used was Chipex. I couldn't get a genuine skoda one so I went for the chipex instead.

If you follow the instructions carefully, It's a good product.