Pioneer Carplay in Mk2 Octavia vRS?

Hi,

New here! Picked up my 2010 Octavia vRS 2.0T TSI last week and absolutely love it. Everything is just how and where I want it, only the ICE has left me a little unfulfilled. The speakers are great, the awkwardly placed aux and lack of Bluetooth being my main gripe. (Built-in sub - anyone know for sure?)

I've read that although the Bluetooth media option is enabled, it was only possible on a DSG vRS without shelling out a few quid. If I'm going to do that, I'll likely go for the Pioneer SPH-DA120 Carplay headunit. 

I've had a look through different forums to see if anyone has installed one in a mk2 FL vRS Octavia so I can see how well it fits in but there doesn't seem to be anything other than people enquiring. Has anyone successfully installed this head unit and have any pictures to show how I could expect it to look?

Alternatively, what's the best way to get Bluetooth working in the car and keep it looking as close to original as possible? 

Cheers in advance,

P

Thanks. Any experience with this? Looks like pretty much what I'd need. 

Wondering how compatible with iPhone it truly is, being an android system with crude photoshopped images. 

Fitted about a month ago, works great with Android and IPhone and the best bit the canbus is built in so it has OE connectors, one quadlock, one wifi, one gps and double fakra, can't fault it and it's UK supplied so no issues with warranty, I have recommended it to a few people and 3 others have bought one.

My primary objective with the new rules on using a phone in cars was Bluetooth, then Sat Nav and being able to have a big music library, all fulfilled, the built in Sat Nav is pretty good IGO, and I added a 32GB SD Card and filled it to the hilt, music videos off the SD are good too, haven't put a disc in it yet as I haven't needed to.

I also added a £15 USB dashcam to it as well which works well in daylight but lacks a bit at night but would still record enough detail in the event of a crash, it auto switches to rear view cam without adding any wires also which will be my next add on, displays the heater controls as per Bolero and also adds the door open icons as per maxidot, steering wheel or stalk controls are retained.

To be honest you cannot tell it isn't factory and the fact you can change the boot screen and wallpaper to Skoda is a bonus.

Also if you add an ELM bluetooth OBD dongle it has Torque pro on it and can dual BT connect to phone and OBD, you just set what BT device you want to use for what, it also downloads your phonebook from your phone so you know who's calling.

One downside is I fiddle with it more than I would my phone so it is distracting but as the novelty of all the functions is wearing off and I have the main apps I need at hand it is less distracting

Edited by T2000
  • Like 2

My bolero is dying a death - cuts out repeatedly every few seconds and is pretty much rendered useless. This looks like the perfect replacement unit. I assume it would render my fiscon bluetooth module obsolete.

• 2 months later...

They specify car make Octavia 2009 - 2012 on that Android player, I have an older 2006 model Octavia, without any  steering wheel controls etc. Is the compatibility issue due to CAN bus? Do you know, can I use this one without can bus entirely?

A few months in from the original installation, how is this unit holding up for you? Looks like I need to replace my Bolero and this appears to be one of the more affordable solutions!

Hi I also have an Octavia VRS 2010 with a Bolero head unit. Sounds like this could be the option as its getting difficult to make a choice as there appear to be many different units  available on ebay, all saying they fit my model and some requiring new facia trim and some not ? 

I`m  probably like many others who now need hands free & Nav options in my vehicle without having a dozen other items attached to the dashboard.

Any known issues to date with the unit ?    

Working great, no issues, this unit is 256mm at the top so if you have a bolero or stream you wont need a new fascia, measure the top of yours, some on EBay are 220mm top which would require a new surround the same as if you fitted a Columbus.

Ignore the date list it will fit an 06 fine a lot of people on Facebook have fitted this into 06/07/08 models.

Thanks for the update and the tip! I notice that in some images of this unit there is a mini SD and USB slot in the front but in others, including the main product image there isn't! Also the various buttons around the screen are different depending on which images you look at. What does the actual unit have on the front? 

The 2 lower buttons are covers for the 2 sd card slots, makes it look factory, the unit is exactly the same as the main picture, ignore the in car one that is different.

One more question on this - is it compatible with maxidot? For example on my Bolero i can see what's playing on the stereo via the maxidot screen and well as skip tracks via the indicator stalk.

Interesting, and in addition to maxidot integration, does PDC (park distance control) car image and sensor position show up on unit?

What is the sound quality like relative to the Bolero. I have always thought the Bolero was decent (but not amazing) for standard fitment unit and factory speakers?

2 hours ago, monkeyalan said:

One more question on this - is it compatible with maxidot? For example on my Bolero i can see what's playing on the stereo via the maxidot screen and well as skip tracks via the indicator stalk.

It shows radio frequency and track number and yes you can still use the stalk to skip.

1 hour ago, TheClient said:

Interesting, and in addition to maxidot integration, does PDC (park distance control) car image and sensor position show up on unit?

What is the sound quality like relative to the Bolero. I have always thought the Bolero was decent (but not amazing) for standard fitment unit and factory speakers?

Yes it does show PDC, the sound is on par if not better than the Bolero.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning guys and girls ,

I have purchased one of these Android units from EBay which came really quickly and was well package. I attached the unit and found that it illuminated and played a CD so volume fine but the display didn`t work. Im not saying dont buy but just be aware as the seller has had me brake the Warranty seal to look inside and also requested i fit a new screen which I need to pay the postage for ? Below I have attached pasted his latest email.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your message.

Sorry for the delay.

We believe that you are a very nice and patient customer, thanks for your kind understanding in advance.

But please believe that we are also a very serious seller, before shipping we did test our unit very carefully, in order that your will receive a working radio, but the damage in transit is out of our control, hope you could understand it.

As we remember, you have a good friend who is good at technology, could we send you a new LCD display, please just replace it with help of your friend, if still no luck, we will help you with return and exchange, is this ok?   " 

If you have an issue it may not be so straight forward to get it resolved - I`m currently waiting on his response to supply a new unit or a complete refund. 

Dont let this put you off a purchase but feel its only right to give the heads up if something goes wrong 

• 2 weeks later...

I returned the unit for a replacement. 

I cannot comment on the unit as I'm now purchasing a 2013 Octavia so am receiving a full refund which has yet to go through. Its still not been plain sailing to be honest but could have been a great experience if the unit had worked fully first time. They have kept up good communication which is a positive but I feel took a very strange view about sending me replacement parts to fix the original ? 

Sorry this doesn't probably help but I'm just being honest. The only thing I would say is that they appear to be a UK supplier and I believe have stock over here, but they are a Chinese run company.

Any more info I can help with just let me know 

Edited by N22APS
  • Like 1

I don't know if this helps but this was the one I was originally going to buy but they were then out of stock 

EBay item number 221994694926

Edited by N22APS

• 2 weeks later...