Selecting an android head unit

Hi I am looking into upgrading my bolero to an android head unit in my 2011 Octavia.

There are quite a few options on ebay so not sure which one to go for. I am wanting one with GPS so would like it to include an aerial.

Currently I am trying to decide between three options.

Has anyone purchased any of the following or have any advice on android head units in general? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-5-1-1-Car-Stereo-GPS-SAT-NAV-DTV-IN-Canbus-DAB-For-SKODA-OCTAVIA-4699EN-/201762511469?hash=item2ef9fb9a6d:g:GwIAAOSw241YYXbM

Or 8" version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-5-1-Car-Stereo-GPS-SAT-NAV-Wifi-DAB-DTV-IN-Canbus-SKODA-OCTAVIA-3026EU-/232131764478?hash=item360c21a0fe:g:Zk4AAOSwdGFY0T0F

Or uk based 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Android-5-1-1-DAB-DVD-GPS-Sat-Nav-CD-Player-Radio-For-VW-Golf-V-SEAT-PASSAT-/302129722168?hash=item465855b338:g:CtgAAOSw241YZc66

Ta

Edited by alextait

Very happy, for the money you can't go wrong and it looks factory, I added a dash cam for £15, SAT NAV is good, BT is excellent and I haven't fitted the external mic, Boots up with the Skoda VRS logo which I added, I also ran a USB charge cable down behind the left of the fascia into the ashtray area to charge a phone and also do mirrorlink.

I also didn't go with the first one you posted as it's 7" and I didn't like the SD slots being at the bottom, the GPS and SD are behind fake buttons, much cleaner.

Edited by T2000

Little tip when you get it, you will need to swap the door indication over as it's for left hand drive, go into factory settings and the passcode is 3368, you can also set the boot screen in there to any picture you download to an SD card, the passcode took me ages to find.

No just routed it down the left thin side of the fascia, came through the front as there is space around the HU, tucked it as far left to avoid the tabs and tucked it under the ashtray lid so it still closes Ok.

When removing the fascia lift up the ashtray lid and pull at the bottom it will pop out, work it around, I used a little plastic tool on the top left and right corners to pop that off as it's thin and won't pop out as you are pulling at the bottom, 4 torx screws, pull out the old unit undo the aerial lead double connector, undo the quadlock.

On the new system I only connected the quadlock, GPS aerial, WiFi aerial, plugged in the USB lead and plugged in the dashcam which also goes in USB, I haven't connected any of the other wires as they are for TV, DAB and other stuff but will be adding a reverse cam so will need one or two, it's a really clean install and very easy.

Another tip when you are connecting the double Fakra aerial connector it will only fit one way and it means the right angle connector points towards the steering wheel, you can't fit it like that as it catches the back cage, rotate the 2 connectors 180degrees and it will slot straight in, I found this out the hard way and bent one, luckily it was only slightly and manged to get them connected.

I’ve just installed this unit into my car;

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb86mtvap-8-hd-digital-octa-core-64bit-32gb-2g-ram-android-6-multi-touch-screen-car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-volkswagen-seat-skoda.html

So far I’m really pleased with the unit it’s a big upgrade to the Bolero, I connected up a reverse camera last weekend which was a bit of a pain to do but it’s working perfectly.

• Like 1

I have an Octavia PreFL with a Stream MP3. I am looking at new options for a better head unit. I started thinking about the Bolero (nice and cheap) and someone recently recommended the Columbus. However, the Columbus' sat nav doesn't seem to have speed camera alerts or to hook into any kind of crowd sourced traffic info system (TMC only.)

The quality of music is very important to me and one thing I love about the Stream and Octavia sound system are how good they sound. I always have concerns about the sound quality of name-I-don't-know far eastern audio products. How good do these units sound compared with what the car came with please?

I'm also concerned about app and update availability and app compatibility for older versions of Android such as 4 (Kitkat) and 5 (Lollipop). I think Kitkat has already gone out of support and Lollipop is likely to go out this year. Can you load the TomTom app on these devices if you want the TomTom experience and traffic data (assumedly tethering to your mobile to get data)? My current phone has Android 7 (Nougat). Do these devices come with access to the Google Play store?

Thanks.

Sound is on par if not better as it is more tweakable.

App compatibility has never been a problem for me and I have a 5 (lollipop) phone, there are some headunits that have come out with Android 6 recently and they are Octacore and 2GB but none that would fit into the Stream or Bolero fascia so that would have to be changed for the Columbus fascia.

TomTom can be loaded on these as can Waze and yes you can create a hotspot and use you phone or you can add a 3G USB dongle.

Yes full access to the Google Play store.

• Like 1

I am hoping to use google maps offline with mine.

I may get a 3g dongle if required... would need a 3g sim with rolling data I suppose.

The more I think about it this is looking like the best option... will any 3g dongle do the job 

Mine is the new breed octacore running marshmallow, connects upto my nexus 6P phone with Nougat no problem, i use the phone as the hotspot to get traffic updates on my satnav (Sygic) Boot up and general use seems very responsive.

I did have to buy a replacement facia as i was replacing a Bolero, several after market choices there or direct from Skoda.

My tip for installation would be to pop out the air vent above the stereo, gives you plenty of space to work with and route the extra wires, there's quite a bit of wiring to lose!

Some pictures of the finished job.

IMG_20170330_070830.jpg

IMG_20170330_070840.jpg

IMG_20170330_070912.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/03/2017 at 10:13, Levy9 said:

I’ve just installed this unit into my car;

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb86mtvap-8-hd-digital-octa-core-64bit-32gb-2g-ram-android-6-multi-touch-screen-car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-volkswagen-seat-skoda.html

So far I’m really pleased with the unit it’s a big upgrade to the Bolero, I connected up a reverse camera last weekend which was a bit of a pain to do but it’s working perfectly.

Just so you know, your unit is a re-baged PX5.

If you want to follow developments with it then follow this thread on xda developers  https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-discussion-questions-development/px5-mtcd-head-unit-discussion-thread-t3573881  

Thought I'd share that if you're a little geeky and want to look into your device and mods (i.e. rooting) etc :)

Edited by c9550927
more info
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Levy9 said:

Mine is the new breed octacore running marshmallow, connects upto my nexus 6P phone with Nougat no problem, i use the phone as the hotspot to get traffic updates on my satnav (Sygic) Boot up and general use seems very responsive.

I did have to buy a replacement facia as i was replacing a Bolero, several after market choices there or direct from Skoda.

My tip for installation would be to pop out the air vent above the stereo, gives you plenty of space to work with and route the extra wires, there's quite a bit of wiring to lose!

Some pictures of the finished job.

IMG_20170330_070830.jpg

IMG_20170330_070840.jpg

IMG_20170330_070912.jpg

hi there i am looking to upgrade to 1 of these andriod systems been looking at the xtrons  CE/HU/PF85MTVAP but its is saying 220mm panel size but its showing this at the bottom did you modify your fascia surround thanks kevin

2 hours ago, c9550927 said:

Just so you know, your unit is a re-baged PX5.

If you want to follow developments with it then follow this thread on xda developers  https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-discussion-questions-development/px5-mtcd-head-unit-discussion-thread-t3573881  

Thought I'd share that if you're a little geeky and want to look into your device and mods (i.e. rooting) etc :)

That saves me searching for it thanks :)

A little Geeky is an understatement, My Nexus 6P is rooted running a Pixle XL custom rom! It'll be interesting to see what the people on XDA have done with the device.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, therev said:

hi there i am looking to upgrade to 1 of these andriod systems been looking at the xtrons  CE/HU/PF85MTVAP but its is saying 220mm panel size but its showing this at the bottom did you modify your fascia surround thanks kevin

Looking at that model it'll be the same as mine. I was a bit concerned about the fascia fit as the sizes did seem a millimeter or 2 out, but it fits perfectly with no modification whats so ever.

12 hours ago, Levy9 said:

Which head unit is that and which surround did you choose please?

That looks really nice and is a potential candidate for my car.

2 minutes ago, Papfox said:

Which head unit is that and which surround did you choose please?

That looks really nice and is a potential candidate for my car.

That's the link to the head unit and i opted for the rather pricey OEM fascia.

I'm sure the fascia will be cheaper elsewhere but i had more of a time limit rather than a cash limit, needed the job done and looking good before i was away in it a few weekends ago. 

My Octavia is my pride and joy. I'd rather spend a little more and have it look right than spoil the finish for a few pounds.

My car has the Climatronic AC rather than the standard one so I've found it can be hard to locate surrounds with the right number of holes for the dials and buttons.

Edited by Papfox

28 minutes ago, Papfox said:

My Octavia is my pride and joy. I'd rather spend a little more and have it look right than spoil the finish for a few pounds.

My car has the Climatronic AC rather than the standard one so I've found it can be hard to locate surrounds with the right number of holes for the dials and buttons.

hi the oem fascia i got quoted 75 plus vat from a skoda dealer got mine of ebay 20 quid posted from hong kong and i must say looks spot on