245/40/18s seem ok Picts included

I picked up my "new to me" 2012 Superb yesterday. I purchased some used Audi style wheels locally a few weeks ago. 18x8 ET42. It has 245/40/18 tires. Asked here about it and got mostly skeptical replies about fitment. 

Well today day I decided to try them and they actually do fit. It's tight at full steering lock. Maybe 1/2 inch clearance to the rubber wheel well liner. 1/2 inch again to the strut etc. The rears are about the same. 1/2 inch to the rubber wheel well. 

I drove on smaller roads w loads of sharp turns and some backing up etc. No rubbing to my surprise. But the car is unloaded etc so it could be a different story w 5 people in there or a trailer. 

However I think one of the tires has been cupped in the tread as there's a rotation type vibration now that wasn't there w the stock tires. Also found the driver side rear break disk is missing that small locking screw to set the disk to the spindle. (Is that a critical situation or merely a hassle when mounting the wheels)?

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

• Like 2

The grub screws do nothing but stop the disc from spinning when the wheel is removed, they are a few pence each (same as fitted to VW , Audi and Seat) so personally I would get one from a local dealer (or TPS) 

Just bear in mind that your speedo will now be reading slower than what you are doing.

12 minutes ago, Gizmo68 said:

The grub screws do nothing but stop the disc from spinning when the wheel is removed, they are a few pence each (same as fitted to VW , Audi and Seat) so personally I would get one from a local dealer (or TPS) 

Just bear in mind that your speedo will now be reading slower than what you are doing.

Thanks for the tip on the screw. This is the first car I've owned w wheel lug bolts. I was sure the screw didn't matter once the wheel is mounted but wasn't sure if it had any other function. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Anyone use wheels spacers on the rear tires? I'm thinking about some hub centric spacers between 5-10mm w longer bolts just to clearance the tires a bit. 

Joe E.

Fair play, they do fit! When I test fitted the same size wheel and tyres on mine they hit the arch liners, but mine is the Greenline model so it sits 15mm lower. 

You'll get away with 5mm front and 10mm rear with the spacers. It will certainly improve the look further.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31.3.2017 at 19:27, Joelliott said:

I picked up my "new to me" 2012 Superb yesterday. I purchased some used Audi style wheels locally a few weeks ago. 18x8 ET42. It has 245/40/18 tires. Asked here about it and got mostly skeptical replies about fitment. 

Well today day I decided to try them and they actually do fit. It's tight at full steering lock. Maybe 1/2 inch clearance to the rubber wheel well liner. 1/2 inch again to the strut etc. The rears are about the same. 1/2 inch to the rubber wheel well. 

I drove on smaller roads w loads of sharp turns and some backing up etc. No rubbing to my surprise. But the car is unloaded etc so it could be a different story w 5 people in there or a trailer. 

However I think one of the tires has been cupped in the tread as there's a rotation type vibration now that wasn't there w the stock tires.

IMG_0716.JPG

Nice rims, I like them alot! One of the nicest rims to fit both Superb and Octavia. And with the tyres the sit very well on your car.

The reason for the tight fitment towards the inner plastic arches, is the fact that 245/40R18 wheels is 2 cm wider than standard. Thereby the diameter will be 1.56 cm larger, giving 0.8 cm less clearance towards the plastic. As long as you have clearance, it all good. All clearance is good clearance!

If you experience some vibrations, it may be necessary to do a rebalancing of the wheels. It may be that a weight has been lost.

Edited by fatzy

Just got these in today. 19x8 et 45 with 245/35/19s. Didn't have time to get them on the B. But hopefully tomorrow. 

Wish thy had a bit more concave form. But the Skoda wheel wells just dont allow it. 

Joe

IMG_1138.JPG

Yet another set of wheels?

And even just a little bit bigger than the other set? It will be a tight squeeze.....

Nice alloys, looking forward to see these on your car.

Hehe. Well the tires on the Audi wheels were a bit more worn than I had hoped for.  And there are a number of scratches on the wheels that irritate me.  So I got alittle over excited and ordered a whole new set. I'm thinking I'll sell the factory 17s w brand new winter tires I got in the deal when I bought the car and use that to get 18" winter tires for the Audi wheels. 

Im hoping to fit the 19s today. I know the 245/35 is a stretch. But honestly they look smaller than the 245/40s on it now. Kind of wondering if I should have stuck w a 18 and a thicker tire due to appearance. We will see today after work. 

Joe

IMG_1139.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked the Audi wheels too. But they needed refinishing and tires. I'm still planning on getting winter tires for them. And have a local place to powder coat them either graphite or black. Haven't decided yet. 

Im alittle unsatisified w the Calibre wheels. They fit fine and drive well. But I put myself out there w the shiny flashy wheels and kind of wish I went w a dark 5 spoke or something like I've done on the past 2 cars I've driven. Something more sport oriented instead of shiny luxury looking. Lol. But I'm in them for some decent pile of cash so I'm running them. IMG_1177.thumb.JPG.c7914d4b6bac298d80135e245792c653.JPGIMG_1186.thumb.JPG.7e6854ffeea04281a8dd5d0e98f67500.JPG

• Like 1