EGR DELATING

When the above  is done ,  will this increase  the exhaust  emissions, and cause  stronger diesel  fumes? ???

Edited by skippy41
Wrong spelling

Nah ! if owt it will improve your emitions, and it will still pas an MOT, without it , It`s a pita !,

Edited by Rayban
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jafo said:

But it's illegal.

lots of things are

if your caught

tell me.........how would they know?

Ditto  - DPF (using the void can method to retain a visual check OK)

Edited by lichfielddriver

10 hours ago, Rayban said:

Nah ! if owt it will improve your emitions, and it will still pas an MOT, without it , It`s a pita !,

Yes it will increase emissions, namely the amount of NOx produced.

1 hour ago, lichfielddriver said:

tell me.........how would they know? Ditto  - DPF (using the void can method to retain a visual check OK)

Correct, the current MOT is unlikely to flag up DPF or EGR removal but it's still worth pointing out that car will not be road legal with either removed. This may or may not cause issues later :)

A better question might be why @skippy41 is considering EGR removal on a '15 plate car. Has it failed or causing problems?

1 hour ago, lichfielddriver said:

if he has a 1.6td without the DMF he only needs to dump the EGR+DPF to secure his peace of mind

Their profile suggests a CR150 2.0TDi. I'm not aware of any significant issues with that engine relating to premature EGR/DPF failure which is why I'm curious as to why the OP is considering removal :)

• Like 1

Private driver / owners should know it is illegal and what the consequences can be.

Professional drivers with a Permit to be a Private Hire / Taxi etc really should know what is legal and not and be ready to face the consequences,

& there are areas where the Regular Inspections or Spot Checks catch them out just as it should be.

The Vehicle is a tool of their trade and infringements of the law should have an affect on the business IMO. maybe 1 strike then you are out.

• Like 1

Just curious, for any future problems, I have had 2 egr,s go in the past, I know they can be delated without removing, but was just wondering if the exhaust became more pronounced, its actually a 140 CR I have since found out as the dealer had the wrong info

Also should a DPF need changing is there anywhere cheaper to buy one apart from a dealer

Edited by skippy41

7 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Private driver / owners should know it is illegal and what the consequences can be.

Professional drivers with a Permit to be a Private Hire / Taxi etc really should know what is legal and not and be ready to face the consequences,

& there are areas where the Regular Inspections or Spot Checks catch them out just as it should be.

The Vehicle is a tool of their trade and infringements of the law should have an affect on the business IMO. maybe 1 strike then you are out.

string me up....

(before you quote chapter and verse on licensing of vehicles read the requirements)

if i worried like you do id not go out

presumably if i get hit by a car with a deleted DPF, blanked EGT and remapped i cant claim as they wont be insured?

You see i am not worried because i do not have a Taxi Licence, 

but i know the ones that Leased Cars as Private and clocked them and had DPF removed and got caught, but that was their worry and not mine.

PS As to chapter and verse on licensing, no idea what Country you are in or Licencing Authority or even interested either so if 

DPF removal of Euro 5 or 6 Emission Diesels is all acceptable and above board then fill your boots.

Edited by Awayoffski

Given the proliferation of EGR/DPF deletion in recent years, the testing bodies have been studying ways of detecting whether these devices have been functionally deleted.

Going forward I can see something similar to the US OBD2 readiness test being brought in by the EU (probably via UNECE) for new vehicles. If all emissions components are not present and working it fails to set readiness and that can be read by a standard code reader.

For vehicles in service the problem is more challenging to solve but there are likely enough clever people working on it that a solution will be found.

On the other side of the issue, there's probably a need for the regulatory bodies to step up and police the manufacturers more on the service life of the emissions control components the regulations demand.

On a well maintained car that has time to warm up on every (or at least nearly every) drive, DPF issues are unlikely. EGR is trickier, and always has been given that untreated exhaust is being routed back through it with all the soot and anything else that's in there. Then it meets oil vapours at the top from the CCV. Even a well-designed device can face trouble under these conditions. The fact that these issues have been identified and explored for 20 years or more by a lot of clever engineers and mechanics suggests there's no straightforward solution.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

You see i am not worried because i do not have a Taxi Licence, 

but i know the ones that Leased Cars as Private and clocked them and had DPF removed and got caught, but that was their worry and not mine.

1. Lucky to find a lease company for taxi use

2. Shouldnt touch a lease car in any way, DPF failure is the concern of the lease company

Stop worrying

The point was those not Leasing for Taxi use, but private and then having to clock and do DPF removal, & caught.

As i said i am not worrying, just discussing on a forum, so maybe chill and keep on trucking you are all legal and happy.

10 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

The point was those not Leasing for Taxi use, but private and then having to clock and do DPF removal, & caught.

As i said i am not worrying, just discussing on a forum, so maybe chill and keep on trucking you are all legal and happy.

Why would I touch a leased car?... id ring the leasing company and request a Hyundai....Ford.....****roen

On 4/7/2017 at 23:40, skippy41 said:

When the above  is done ,  will this increase  the exhaust  emissions, and cause  stronger diesel  fumes? ???

Increase exhaust emissions - EGR reduces NOx so without EGR NOx would increase

Cause stronger diesel fumes - Not directly but...

DPF active regens - YES (would EGR removal cause more regens - possibly)

Edited by bigjohn

10 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

would EGR removal cause more regens - possibly

From what I have read - it would cause more active regens if the diesel engine is being run in a manner that doesn't encourage passive regeneration. From Wikipedia: "The nitrogen dioxide component of NOx emissions is the primary oxidizer of the soot caught in the DPF at normal operating temperatures. This process is known as passive regeneration". This nitrogen dioxide component is provided in the exhaust gas being recirculated by the EGR setup.

Not that Wikipedia is perfect, but this entry on EGR is not as complicated as some to follow: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) Article

The nitrogen dioxide is being created in the combustion chambers, and more of it if EGR isn't present. So removing EGR should create better conditions for passive regeneration (and less soot production for the DPF to accumulate). More poisonous stuff out of the tailpipe though.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2017 at 07:19, Wino said:

The nitrogen dioxide is being created in the combustion chambers, and more of it if EGR isn't present. So removing EGR should create better conditions for passive regeneration (and less soot production for the DPF to accumulate). More poisonous stuff out of the tailpipe though.

Less soot is bad then?

and as Renault make the dirtiest NOX producers (far more than any VAG even with no EGR) Id still feel happy

PLUS...........most diesel drivers only do 5000 miles a year

3 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

Less soot is bad then?

and as Renault make the dirtiest NOX producers (far more than any VAG even with no EGR) Id still feel happy

PLUS...........most diesel drivers only do 5000 miles a year

The poisonous stuff I was referring to is the nitrogen oxides, not the soot.