Google earth updates

Goochie

For those who havent used "Google earth" before, download it !

For those who have it already, I see they've increased high-res coverage of the UK. The area I was interested in around the Chilterns/High Wycombe is now very high quality.

When viewing the UK from far away you can spot the high res areas easily from the different coloured areas.

Take a look - it is very addictive in a strange kind of way.

That area has always been hi-res! I know because i live there :D

You can tell the pics were taken a few years ago because you can see the car-cover over the Mustang in the driveway of our house!

What's your friends farm - it's not 'hard to find farm' (which actually isn't hard to find at all) is it?

• Administrators

The delayed, but otherwise live feed of traffic into LAX made me think omfg how many planes on the move...

Somehow the odd one that passes over does not work, seeing 50+ little dots moving towards one point, multiplying by a few other airports...

WTF am I bothering to use energy bulbs, who wants to buy my cat?

The area over Luton was taken around 2000-2001, I can see a few of the sites I look after and one of them is half built in the pics, the building opened in early 2001.

There are thousands of interesting points on google earth (i), you can get absorbed in it for hours.

Just make sure your broadband doesnt have a low usage limit!!

The images are cr@p over Worthing :mad:

There are some good bits to look at around the world, various suspension bridges and airports are pretty good and you can see some nuclear subs docked near the forth rail bridge, it's funny that the other nuclear sub base at Faslane in Scotland is just off the edge of the hi-res imagery. Coincedence?

Go to where top gear is filmed (Dunsfold airfield near Guildford) and someone has actually done an overlay of the test track on it. The pic is very old though, years before TG were there.

Several points:

1. Some areas are becoming more high res but with older images - as has been noted above - this also applies in Farnham where the flats where my brother lives were formerly low rise under construction but are now showing as high res of the garage that was on the site previously!

2. Some modern computers can't handle the images in high-res form - my computer at work which is relatively new and must be a reasonable spec because I'm running AutoCAD doesn't display areas in high res which older computers in the office do - it's depends on the graphics card installed.

3. I think it's a shame you can't run the program on ME which is what my home computer runs on.

There was a melenium project to photograph the UK at high-res from aerplanes. The original site was www.getmapping.co.uk (or similar) but you had to pay for super high res stuff.

I guess Google are using those images in their product

Google don't use Getmapping images - the source of the images varies but is always shown on the screen.

just noticed something

go to Glasgow Prestwick airport' date='youll see 3 large planes and if you zoom in it says USAF on the wing ;)

wonder if it was those secret flights transfering prisons to Guantanamo Bay:censored:[/quote']

No, they would be the matt black painted planes with CIA written in large letters on the side. Come on, keep up, everyone knows that.:)

No, they would be the matt black painted planes with CIA written in large letters on the side. Come on, keep up, everyone knows that.:)

http://www.eitb24.com/portal/eitb24/noticia/eitb24-international-news-cia-planes-transferring-terror-suspects-flied-over-europe-in-recent-years?itemId=D7602&cl=%2Feitb24%2Finternacional&idioma=en

same kind of plane :P

and thanks for the nurburgring was hoping it would be higher res though :(