Engine Repairs Birmingham

I am the owner of a 2009 Skoda Octavia VRS Special Edition. The engine has died, driving along 1 day the engine management light came on, then a red oil can symbol started flashing away, the car cut out & would not start again. It started again after about 20 mins, rushed (carefully) to my local garage where was informed that it was the dreaded timing chain tensioner. To cut a long story short the garage said they would swap the engine for £5,800, which I have not got so I paid for an independent report which found that it was the crankshaft thrust washer that had given up the ghost. I have since had quotes ranging from £2000 to £3000 to do the job. As I have lost faith in my local garage I was wondering if anyone of you know of anyone in Birmingham who could this job for me, someone who is trustworthy, not the dealers please there just out of my price range.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

I used lion garage in Hinkley for a tensioner replacement preventative job when I bought our vRS. Jason was knowledgeable and helpful in my pre-enquiry and seemed to know his stuff. It is a genuine "old school" type  garage. Not plush leather sofas or waiting area or cappuccinos!  They have other branches but my experience was only with the branch I used.

Could be worthwhile giving him a call and seeing what he thinks. However, I imagine anybody will want it recovered and their own inspection to give a definitive quote?

What is the actual engine damage?  So, the tensioner was a red herring, so there is no valve / head damage it is the bottom end? It is not going to be cheap, and I'm guessing, (especially without detail of the damage),  but £2k to £3k doesn't seem unrealistic.

Edited by TheClient

1 hour ago, Treaddie said:

I am the owner of a 2009 Skoda Octavia VRS Special Edition. The engine has died, driving along 1 day the engine management light came on, then a red oil can symbol started flashing away, the car cut out & would not start again. It started again after about 20 mins, rushed (carefully) to my local garage where was informed that it was the dreaded timing chain tensioner. To cut a long story short the garage said they would swap the engine for £5,800, which I have not got so I paid for an independent report which found that it was the crankshaft thrust washer that had given up the ghost. I have since had quotes ranging from £2000 to £3000 to do the job. As I have lost faith in my local garage I was wondering if anyone of you know of anyone in Birmingham who could this job for me, someone who is trustworthy, not the dealers please there just out of my price range.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

SMF Europarts (formerly PW Europarts) are located in Cradley near Halesowen. They are very trustworthy and have been in business there for 40yrs. I used them for many years when I lived in the area.

Good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheClient said:

I used lion garage in Hinkley for a tensioner replacement preventative job when I bought our vRS. Jason was knowledgeable and helpful in my pre-enquiry and seemed to know his stuff. It is a genuine "old school" type  garage. Not plush leather sofas or waiting area or cappuccinos!  They have other branches but my experience was only with the branch I used.

Could be worthwhile giving him a call and seeing what he thinks. However, I imagine anybody will want it recovered and their own inspection to give a definitive quote?

What is the actual engine damage?  So, the tensioner was a red herring, so there is no valve / head damage it is the bottom end? It is not going to be cheap, and I'm guessing, (especially without detail of the damage),  but £2k to £3k doesn't seem unrealistic.

13 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

SMF Europarts (formerly PW Europarts) are located in Cradley near Halesowen. They are very trustworthy and have been in business there for 40yrs. I used them for many years when I lived in the area.

Good luck

13 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

Good luck

Thanks to you both for your speedy replies, will give them a call & let you helpful guys know how it goes....Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

In reply to TheClient, 

The damage has not been fully assessed as the garage who has the car are very reluctant to strip the car down and actually tell me what the problem is, this is because they quoted me £5,800 to do the job and want that big pay day I reckon.

Like I said the car drove ok after it initially cut out but it was still bleeping at me and displaying a red oil can on the display, so I think some sort of oil pressure loss. but after I had the independent inspection done by a company called ACE they showed me photos of the engine with the timing cover removed and there report stated the timing chain & tensioner were in position doing what they were supposed to do and said that the debris found in the sum & strainer were indicative of a crankshaft thrust washer failure meaning that the crank would be able to move backwards & forwards especially under clutch pressure. That is the best synopsis so far as the garage still won't strip the engine down to give me a solid answer. But that price range quoted is about right as I've been getting a few quotes in, just need to find someone who I can trust, and thanks to you guys I have a now have a couple of leads....thanks.    

When my PD engine crankshaft shell broke up after it had done 176100 with all fine particals floating though the oil wells of the engine. Basically a scrap engine.

I had a recondition PD engine fitted by Lion Garage at Leicester with 6 months and 12 months labour warranty.

Total prices inc VAT £2200

I know its a different engine but give some idea of cost.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Treaddie said:

Thanks to you both for your speedy replies, will give them a call & let you helpful guys know how it goes....Thanks a lot.

Yes, let us know, i'll be interested.

If you look at the 1.8./ 2.0 TSI failure threads, there was a recent post about a failed engine from a crankshaft bearing failure if I remember correctly, but apart from that one it doesn't seem to be a very widespread problem. Bit of bad luck. I guess the movement could munch the crakhaft bearings and journals and maybe put pressure on the conrods / pistons but the debris left behind could be a problem as mb09 mentions.  Good luck.

I agree the main protagonist comes with these engines  is the timing chain tensioner, will just have to make sure I have the latest revision of that tensioner when I get the job done. Have already had a reply from Jason at Lion Garage Hinckley, will take it from there, cheers mate.  

No nothing at all, the garage where I took the car originally only seemed interested in the money and not a proper diagnostic, should know more in a couple of weeks. Will post whatever I find.