first bikes and insurance.

Pessimal

Passed my MOD1 on Wednesday and have my MOD 2 booked for 3 weeks time.

So i have been scouring places for something to get if i pass, and thought i better put some ideas through the insurance wringer to see if the insurance quotes are sensible.

stuck a Honda NC750SA through the wringer and got a quote of £750 for 10,000 miles a year (i'm commuting to work) parked in my back yard.

i managed to bring that down quite a bit by saying it was parked in a garage (£600) but that still seemed high to me.

Am i being a bit optimistic about what sort of bike i'm buying, or is anything going to cost me a fortune to insure for the first year or 2?

Cheers

Apart from the North East it would be hard to tell for anyone without knowing your age and if you live in the country (low crime rate) or town (with not so low crime rate) or is it FC or TPF&T. The fact that you (will) have only just passed your test will obviously have a big impact but the other info will help people give an informed opinion or sort of guess in my case.

Good luck on whatever MOD (Ministry of Defence) 2 is.;).

Edited by Danny 57

I Live in sunderland, so not exactly one of the best areas, and yes, i was going for Fully Comp, and i'm (not wanting to admit) that i'm 40 this year.

At the mo, a 250/300 scooter seems like a better idea :(

Well done on passing mod 1, have you tried going third party fire and theft? I pay 300 quid for a 03 plate 600 fazer, I'm 26, recently passed mod 2. When I phoned the insurance company when I passed fully comp was more money so I chose third party fire and theft. 

My bike is kept in a locked garage in a low crime rate area, problem is with Insurance there is so many variables it's frustrating. 

To me that seems quite reasonable then. I pay £220 (10 years NC) FC with some named bits that I have added over the years and I have had the engine bored out (Norman Hyde) and I also converted it to belt drive plus I am 60.

Edited by Danny 57

Seems reasonable. 

I live in buxton, had a full licence for 6 years, 6 years ncb too, and i pay £500 for the Tracer 900. The aprilia was very similar (worth abit less but higher insurance group)

id say yours was a fair price given the info. 

Maybe try an older sv650 or something. Might help. 

Wow... I passed my test in 2015 and bought a Fazer 1000. £170 first year insurance , fully comp and just changed to Kawasaki Z1000sx and this years insurance hardly changed.

Must be my age....50 something

maybe its just me reading other peoples insurance and wondering why i cant insure something for £80!

Anyone for any suggestions on bikes to look for, its going to be used 95% of the time for commuting (dual carriage way and 30/40 limits, nothing interesting), and maybe the odd trip out to the countryside.

I kinda like the adventure bike look, but i havent tried anything yet, so if someones got any ideas for a good first bike i'm all ears. I quite like the look of thing's like the Honda NC700/750 and the CB500x, and some of the 650 adventure bikes like the vstrom. What are dealers policy's on test rides, i dont really fancy buying something without some sort of ride before hand. I dont fancy shelling out money and not liking something before i even get it home.

cheers

I'm still waiting for the really cheap insurance too but currently paying around £350 for a KTM 1190 Adv.  I prefer the cover provided rather than how cheap it is as when you need to use the insurance the cheap ones you soon regret.

650 V Strom is a great bike as is the CB500 X. Also look at BMW 650 GS, Honda Transalp and if you're serious about going off road the KTM 640 Adv. If you're confident enough I would recommend the KTM 990 R Adventure. You could own for a few years and so long you haven't trashed it probably sell it for what you paid for it as they are starting to appreciate now. Plenty of big bikes to choose from but a bargain is the Triumph Tigers 955. Not the greatest looking bike but very capable road biased mile muncher with their sweet triple.   

Its not going to go off road, i just like the look of the adventure styled stuff, and also i prefer to be sat upright rather than bent over (am not really that flexible, and the Honda CB600F i'm learning on has a habit of making my wrists ache as it is), my current scooter (Piaggio x8 125) has me sat very upright, which i quite like, and also makes the visibility for me, and for other to see me quite good.

I have seen a few BMW 650's around, but i havent really looked into them to be honest so i'll add them to the list, i also quite like the look of the triumph tiger 1050, but i think that can wait for a year or two before i go there!

One option is still a larger scooter (i like the luggage space for work stuff and gym kits etc) but having learnt gears, i'd rather carry on with them, and it's nice playing with gears rather than both the car and my bike being automatic.

I rode my brothers CB600F recently and found it a bit strange to ride after my KTM. It was like you were sat in the bike with your feet behind but hand position and mirrors just fine, no wrist ache to complain about.

Also try a Honda VFR800X Crossrunner. I've ridden the VFR1200X Crosstourer and was very impressed. Honda also do an adventure scooter X-Adv, couldn't comment on it as never seen one in the flesh never mind been on one.

You're most likely to get test rides from main dealers albeight with a large insurance excess if you drop it, most of the second hand bike sellers aren't that keen on you test riding their bikes.

Edited by CWARD

Try living in London, it cost me over £900.00 to insure my 16 plate Dyna Limited and 66 plate Sprint ST SE that's fully comp for Social Domestic and pleasure use only, garaged and I'm over 60 and have more than 20-years claim free on bikes.

Bike theft down here is like an epidemic, they are even spraying people with acid and nicking the bike they are sitting on, these scumbags need to be put down when they are caught!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/191298

Edited by Prykey

7 hours ago, Pessimal said:

maybe its just me reading other peoples insurance and wondering why i cant insure something for £80!

Anyone for any suggestions on bikes to look for, its going to be used 95% of the time for commuting (dual carriage way and 30/40 limits, nothing interesting), and maybe the odd trip out to the countryside.

I kinda like the adventure bike look, but i havent tried anything yet, so if someones got any ideas for a good first bike i'm all ears. I quite like the look of thing's like the Honda NC700/750 and the CB500x, and some of the 650 adventure bikes like the vstrom. What are dealers policy's on test rides, i dont really fancy buying something without some sort of ride before hand. I dont fancy shelling out money and not liking something before i even get it home.

cheers

Tracer 700? 

4 hours ago, CWARD said:

I rode my brothers CB600F recently and found it a bit strange to ride after my KTM. It was like you were sat in the bike with your feet behind but hand position and mirrors just fine, no wrist ache to complain about.

Also try a Honda VFR800X Crossrunner. I've ridden the VFR1200X Crosstourer and was very impressed. Honda also do an adventure scooter X-Adv, couldn't comment on it as never seen one in the flesh never mind been on one.

You're most likely to get test rides from main dealers albeight with a large insurance excess if you drop it, most of the second hand bike sellers aren't that keen on you test riding their bikes.

Viffer 800 X is alot bigger and heavier than the NC hes lookin at though id say. Although somewhat more powerful too

Don't read this - it'll break your heart!

Got renewal advice a couple of days ago for my scooter. The princely sum of One Penny! No it's not mobility.

They usually ring me up after a few days, but this time I don't think I've anything left to bargain with.

ps: The Street Triple's a bit more expensive. Age, if relevant, 75.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Viffer 800 X is alot bigger and heavier than the NC hes lookin at though id say. Although somewhat more powerful too

Physically no bigger and only 4kg heavier but another 50hp on top :)

NC750 would be the better commuter but not that exiting when you look at what it replaced, the Dullville

Have a look at a Versys 650.
The looks aren't to everyone's taste on the previous shape but they are a superb all rounder with a taller upright riding position.
Plenty fast enough for a new rider, 60mpg and cheap to ensure being a "sensible" parallel twin.
l-3.jpg

17 hours ago, CWARD said:

Physically no bigger and only 4kg heavier but another 50hp on top :)

NC750 would be the better commuter but not that exiting when you look at what it replaced, the Dullville

Google suggests 20kg difference on the manual bikes. 

Never the less. Thought itd be more of a gap. 

The v4 engine is pretty good mind. 

• Like 1

I just did a quick search so may have compared dry and kerb weights. Just checked on Honda's website and the VFR800x is 242kg kerb (inc 31ltr top box), 1475mm wheelbase, 815/835mm seat height and 20.8ltr tank. Compared to the NC750X at 220kg kerb, 1535mm wheelbase, 830mm seat height and 14.1ltr tank.

The VFR800x is all the more impressive with the top box and additional 6.7ltr fuel weight. I think the biggest difference is the use of an aluminium chassis over the steel one on the NC. 

The V4 is a great engine although I've only ridden the 1200. It's perfectly smooth and docile around town at low revs. Crack the throttle open and it pulls like a train. 

6 hours ago, CWARD said:

I just did a quick search so may have compared dry and kerb weights. Just checked on Honda's website and the VFR800x is 242kg kerb (inc 31ltr top box), 1475mm wheelbase, 815/835mm seat height and 20.8ltr tank. Compared to the NC750X at 220kg kerb, 1535mm wheelbase, 830mm seat height and 14.1ltr tank.

The VFR800x is all the more impressive with the top box and additional 6.7ltr fuel weight. I think the biggest difference is the use of an aluminium chassis over the steel one on the NC. 

The V4 is a great engine although I've only ridden the 1200. It's perfectly smooth and docile around town at low revs. Crack the throttle open and it pulls like a train. 

The NC's are notoriously good on fuel too, 80-90mpg. Where as the VFR's are well known to be thirsty for what they are. 

I havent ridden a new viffer but had a 2002 for 2 years. Vtec was abit gimmicky. The new ones are smoothed ou but they have less power also.  

40 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

The NC engine is half a Honda Jazz lump with a car like redline. 

I'd go for something a bit more bikey. 

I think the 700 one was. 

But the 750 isnt. Iirc. 

Never ridden one though

• 2 weeks later...