first bikes and insurance.

Pessimal

Just now, Pessimal said:

Just pulled my L plates off my scooter for the morning!

I can now cut 5 mins off my time to get in and out of work by being able to use 200 yards of motorway :)

200 yards of motorway on a scooter would be enough to make me buy a bike ASAP i think :D 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

200 yards of motorway on a scooter would be enough to make me buy a bike ASAP i think :D 

I took my Gilera Runner 125SP (2 stroke) from the midlands down to visit my then girlfriend near Gatwick.

Going, I took it steadily at 60ish which was fine. On the way back I just went flat out all the way. Stopped for fuel in Oxford and it was so hot it was virtually glowing :)

My GTS 300 was superb on the motorway and would cruise all day at 80 but the ET4 125 I had for a while was another story. About 10hp and 10" wheels made it slow and very twitchy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

I took my Gilera Runner 125SP (2 stroke) from the midlands down to visit my then girlfriend near Gatwick.

Going, I took it steadily at 60ish which was fine. On the way back I just went flat out all the way. Stopped for fuel in Oxford and it was so hot it was virtually glowing :)

My GTS 300 was superb on the motorway and would cruise all day at 80 but the ET4 125 I had for a while was another story. About 10hp and 10" wheels made it slow and very twitchy. 

I imagine a 2 stroke 125 is manageable yeah... something 125 and 4 stroke tends to be struggling at 60 though and getting tangled up with the lorries isnt a place id like to be for too long.. personally. :D 

48 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

What some people will do to get their leg over :dry:

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 2

i'm on a piaggio x8 125 with the full 15bhp (feel the power!!)

it'll do over 70 on the flat (according to the speedo more like 65+) and the bit of motorway i need to use is a 50 limit anyway!

the L plates are now in the bin!

• Like 1

The CX500 I picked up on Sunday isn't much faster. It will do 70-80 no problems but ask for anymore and it protests a bit before delivering. At those speeds it's hard work with no fairing and having faith the previous owner hasn't bodged anything. It's more than happy around the 50-60 mark but then it is a grumpy old git, the bike not me. Once it's been rebuilt and tuned up I'll be happier to take to its limits. 

Pessimal, I'm disappointed you only binned the L plates. We wanted to see you burning them :biggrin:

@Pessimal I've been with Carole Nash for years. They do the same as any insurance company and ramp up the premium every year, but a phone call and a little negotiation usually brings the price back down. They provided good service when I had a breakdown in the Dolomites and good legal service when an accident ended in a four-year court case.

Oh yeah, to the point: they have a Six-Wheel policy that is worth considering, especially if you are the only rider/driver, as you can only be using one machine at a time.

Also, if anyone fancies a 2010 Yamaha FJR1300, mine is going up for sale. It was MOT'd yesterday. I put on 120 miles last year. Just don't use it since I got the Sportline.

anyone know anything about Kawasaki Versys 650??

just been to have a look at one local to me, quite like it, but wanna check if there are any big problems with them

9 minutes ago, Pessimal said:

anyone know anything about Kawasaki Versys 650??

just been to have a look at one local to me, quite like it, but wanna check if there are any big problems with them

I have one and recommended it back on the first page. Very good bikes and the worst I found regarding problems is the clocks vibrating and resonating against the surround. A very annoying noise, fixed with foam pads. 

The mechanicals are all very sound. It is a tall bike so you might struggle if you aren't 6ft or more.