Mobility scooter in back of Yeti?

Fred_Bristol

Thanks for the very useful measurement diagram.

I have been looking at mobility scooters that dismantle into several parts so that my wife doesn't have to lift the whole weight in one go. I have been put off by the meagre ground clearance of many models (why not detachable, larger, wheels?) and the difficulty of working out what will fit in the boot. I am hoping someone has already found a solution.

I didn't anticipate this problem when I bought the Yeti so adequate boot space for a scooter wasn't a factor.

Fred

My experience is that the scooter battery needs to be easily removable,

it aids charging (under some circumstances) and removes an awful lot of

weight when trying to lift the scooter into a car.

If you have not chosen a scooter yet, avoid the three wheelers with two

tiny front wheels.

I had an urgent call to get my late mother out of a kerbside hedge

when a raised drain cover "kicked" the steering!

On 21/04/2017 at 20:39, Fred_Bristol said:

Hi

Because I've got one leg out of action (temporarily) I'm looking at portable mobility scooters, and I wondered if there are any recommended models that will fit in the back of a Yeti. 

Fred

Fred, google Mobility, wheelchair suppliers in your area. Take a trip to the one of your choice.

They are usually very helpful and should let you try likely candidates to see if they fit in the car and help you choose one that meets your needs.

If they don't, walk away.

Just a thought... Do you have a British Red Cross centre near you?

The one near us has all sorts of equipment that you can hire, for very little money.

Might be better for you than buying?

Edited by CFB

On 25 April 2017 at 18:14, g6zru said:

Very neat! Excellent job.

Fred

Thank you. 

I took a sheet of 9 mm ply, 4'x2' sorry about mixed dimensions, shortened the 4' by a few inches so it would fit across the width of the boot when not in use.

I put an upstand on three sides, about 40 x20 mm on both sides and across the 2' top.

This sheet/tray sat above the two folded seats, so when the scooter was powered in, the weight of the scooter was on the ply and not on the rear springs on the seats. If you look at the pic, you can just see the start of the white painted ply.

I have a bike rack that clamps to a plate on the towbar, and the unused plate forms the base for the ramp support.

I have a hinged flap that goes across the bumper that protects the bumper.

I can post more pics if required.

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful input.

I'm a little poorer today, but I now have an Electric Mobility Rascal Liteway 4 Plus. It is a compromise choice, but it accommodates my inconveniently long legs (which I can't bend much), the parts are not too heavy for my wife to lift if I can't do it, and it fits in the boot of the Yeti with the back seats up. With the smaller battery the range is a bit limited, but being old tech Lead Acid the bigger battery is somewhat less than the £500 for a Luggie Lithium. 

I'm very tempted to have a go at a version of Rustic's idea once I'm able to stand on two feet again. The idea of being able just drive it in is very appealing. Dismantling and assembling isn't too difficult, but it takes time. I don't have a tow bar, but there's probably a way of securing a ramp. How long are the ramps in the picture?

The Scooter is 550 mm wide 1050 mm long and 430 mm high (seat removed, tiller folded), so hopefully, with one seat rolled forward or removed, and a plywood floor in place it might be possible to use only one half. 

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

Fred

(At 69 am I young middle or old Fred?)

• Like 1

Hi Lilly

I've not seen or tried a Quingo Flyte, although I have looked at their web site. What surprised me was the various dealers I visited all said pretty much the same thing: avoid! (Since it is an expensive model I would have thought it carried a good mark up for them.)

Once the cassette system is fitted in a small car (including the Yeti) the back seat is no longer useable. The boot length to the back seat has to be about 1200 mm, possibly more, to avoid this.

The Quingo isn't the only 3 wheel mobility scooter to feature a pair of supplementary wheels to stop it tipping over, but it is the best promoted. 

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though, because if you have the right car (Superb estate possibly) and the cost isn't a problem, it does look an interesting solution.

Fred (Not Old Fred)

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2017 at 17:26, Fred_Bristol said:

Thanks for all the helpful input.

I'm a little poorer today, but I now have an Electric Mobility Rascal Liteway 4 Plus. It is a compromise choice, but it accommodates my inconveniently long legs (which I can't bend much), the parts are not too heavy for my wife to lift if I can't do it, and it fits in the boot of the Yeti with the back seats up. With the smaller battery the range is a bit limited, but being old tech Lead Acid the bigger battery is somewhat less than the £500 for a Luggie Lithium. 

I'm very tempted to have a go at a version of Rustic's idea once I'm able to stand on two feet again. The idea of being able just drive it in is very appealing. Dismantling and assembling isn't too difficult, but it takes time. I don't have a tow bar, but there's probably a way of securing a ramp. How long are the ramps in the picture?

The Scooter is 550 mm wide 1050 mm long and 430 mm high (seat removed, tiller folded), so hopefully, with one seat rolled forward or removed, and a plywood floor in place it might be possible to use only one half. 

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

Fred

(At 69 am I young middle or old Fred?)

Fred, I was talking to a chap that uses a golf trolley to carry his Art stuff he recommends

using the golf buggy batteries as they give more power and are generally smaller than the

lead acid type so perhaps you could even carry a spare? Worth looking in to?

9 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Fred, I was talking to a chap that uses a golf trolley to carry his Art stuff he recommends

using the golf buggy batteries as they give more power and are generally smaller than the

Defiantly middle. I'm Old Fred at 79!

Fred

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/06/2017 at 09:01, gumdrop said:

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I can tell (going by aftermarket replacement offerings) the battery is the same AGM type as used on Golf Trolleys, sealed, non-spill, and certified for transport by air. The only Golf Trolley batteries I've found so far are much the same size and weight for a similar capacity. I will keep looking. My favourite fit would be a Lithium Iron Phosphate of slightly higher capacity and about a third less weight.

The prices are dropping (or were until the pound took a dive) but it will never bee a cheap option because I'll need a new charger as well. The manufacturers don't offer an upgrade option because it would raise the cost of the scooter by a third. 

What I do miss is regenerative braking. Too complicated at this price point I suppose. I also find it uncomfortable that there is no independent brake. The user is entirely reliant on an automatic magnetic brake. Not a nice feeling when going down a slope towards a road.

Fred (Middle Fred?)

On 5 June 2017 at 09:01, gumdrop said:

If you are registered disabled and have a condition that is declared from a list, then you can buy batteries for disabled scooters VAT free at the point of sale. That amounts to a saving of 20%

However not possible if you are buying golf buggy batteries I guess.

When I bought my second hand scooter, it needed new batteries, so I bought AGM types, half a minute filling in the form and instant VAT free. No written proof, just self declaration. The authorities do random checks. 

Hi rustic

I waved my blue badge and quoted some incredibly impressive medical terminology from the hospital and the VAT free application went through smoothly. I'm interested in Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries because there are versions which can be substituted for AGM Lead batteries, achieving reduced weight and a small increase in range. However, the cost is currently prohibitive, 50% of the cost of the mobility scooter, including the charger. But the cost was slowly coming down, until the pound took a nose dive. 

My aim is to get a battery weight that my wife can handle safely without provoking her back problems (in case I'm unable to do it). Unfortunately the cassette battery pack, while neat and easy to use, has both 12V batteries in the same box, which makes it heavy. Two separate cassettes would have been easier. 

Fred