Ride quality and tyres...

I used to own a Rapid 1.6 TDi which ran on 185/60r15 wheels/tyres.    I never noticed the ride as being particularly harsh, although that could be because there were too many other things to 'notice'.   In short, the thing was a lemon, and I took the hit of trading it in after only two years... for a MY2016 Toledo TSi 110 (because the deal/spec on the Toledo was better than the Rapid at the time).

The Toledo has been faultless (so far) and generally suits me very well.   Having been a long-time diesel driver I have been pleasantly surprised by the driveability/performance/economy.   However, I find the ride - on anything other than smooth tarmac - really harsh.   There is less weight up front, of course, but I suspect that it is more to do with wheels/tyres - which are 215/45r16 Dunlop Sport Maxx.   The 45 profile doesn't leave a lot of sidewall to flex but wondering if is more to do with the make rather than the size?

Apart from the E rating for wet grip, which doesn't inspire confidence, I'm just wondering if these tyres are at the hard/inflexible end of the scale (the wet grip rating being a clue for starters)?   They don't seem to wear very much (at 10k the service report said 7mm rear, 6mm front so they may outlast the car...).   So, I'm wondering if anyone has had these as OEM fitment, changed to something else and whether that has improved the ride quality?    There isn't a lot of choice in this tyre size (I don't really want to go changing the wheels), thinking maybe Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance.   Ideally I'd wait for the Dunlops to wear out but, if changing tyres would make a significant difference, I'd probably change sooner than later.

To answer the obvious question in advance, I'm running the Dunlops at the min. pressure specified in the table inside the fuel flap (2.0F, 2.1R bar) and am fairly sure that the pressures are correct (gauge on foot-pump is rubbish but I have a 'pencil' gauge and a Draper dial gauge that both read the same).   Car is generally lightly laden.

Any thoughts welcome!   A new set of tyres is a lot less expensive than a new car...

Worth spending 20 pence or 50 pence filling station dependent and inflate the tyres a bit more and see if there is any improvement.

Tried that - (hopefully calibrated) pay machine at nearest filling station (so tyres still cold).   Deflated them a bit, then used machine to pump up to recommended pressures.   Mainly to get an accuracy check on my pencil and dial gauges - which seem to be accurate.

Also tried inflating tyres up to the 'eco' setting on the sticker (F2.3, R2.4) and various in between as well.   Predictably, higher pressure = harder ride (although I also thought that it was worth a try).

I've tried everything I can think of bar replacing the tyres;   but don't want to spend £350-400 on new tyres without at least having some reason to think that the replacements will be worth it.

Failing that, it's hand the car back at the end of the PCP, or maybe even VT it earlier if I can't stand it any longer...  

One of the reasons that I suspect the tyres so much is that the ride doesn't seem quite so bad now that the weather is getting slightly warmer.   In fact, I didn't notice it last year until Nov-Dec.   I suspect that the Dunlops are steel-reinforced, possibly with RSJs :angry:

Widely derided tyre, noted as horribly noisy - especially by those on OEM 17's.  It doesn't wear out though, so the noise will continue for a long time.

comes in 42nd out of 55 in my size here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/17-Inch-Tyres/215-40-17-Tyres.htm

and 13th out of 21 in your size:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/16-Inch-Tyres/215-45-16-Tyres.htm

Strangely the newer version SP Sport Fast Response (215/45R16 as well)  on my Ibiza are a great tyre, quiet and grippy.

On the 17s I have driven both OEM Dunlop Sport MAxx and OEM Conti Premium Contact 2, like night and day, however the Conti's cost an arm and a leg so I won't be getting a new set.

Edited by camelspyyder

Hi, I have a Toledo too and had the same issue with the Dunlop's 215/45 16 and the harsh ride.

I tried everything and in the end went with advice from my Tyre dealer and swapped sizes to 205/50 16 and it has made a huge difference in the ride quality.

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

Widely derided tyre, noted as horribly noisy - especially by those on OEM 17's.  It doesn't wear out though, so the noise will continue for a long time.

comes in 42nd out of 55 in my size here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/17-Inch-Tyres/215-40-17-Tyres.htm

and 13th out of 21 in your size:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/16-Inch-Tyres/215-45-16-Tyres.htm

Strangely the newer version SP Sport Fast Response (215/45R16 as well)  on my Ibiza are a great tyre, quiet and grippy.

On the 17s I have driven both OEM Dunlop Sport MAxx and OEM Conti Premium Contact 2, like night and day, however the Conti's cost an arm and a leg so I won't be getting a new set.

Thanks, all interesting stuff.    I notice that the data for the Sport Maxx is the same in both tables so I'm guessing that it isn't specific to any particular tyre size.    Not too sure about these tables though - in the 16 size the Landsail and Nankang score better than Michelin Primacy.   Really - I wonder?

1 hour ago, techie said:

Hi, I have a Toledo too and had the same issue with the Dunlop's 215/45 16 and the harsh ride.

I tried everything and in the end went with advice from my Tyre dealer and swapped sizes to 205/50 16 and it has made a huge difference in the ride quality.

Thanks - food for thought, I hadn't considered changing tyre size.   Would you mind me asking which make of 205/50 16 you went for?

19 minutes ago, simon1304 said:

landsail...

yeah there are a few dodgy results, but the ones with lots of reviews and milions of miles driven are clear to see.

that said, a top brand name alone does not guarantee a great tyre... there are some really poor Pirelli, Goodyear and Dunlop products out there to name but 3.

Edited by camelspyyder

7 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

yeah there are a few dodgy results, but the ones with lots of reviews and milions of miles driven are clear to see.

that said, a top brand name alone does not guarantee a great tyre... there are some really poor Pirelli, Goodyear and Dunlop oroducts out there to name but 3.

And the Dunlop Sport Maxx being a perfect example :dry:

49 minutes ago, simon1304 said:

Thanks - food for thought, I hadn't considered changing tyre size.   Would you mind me asking which make of 205/50 16 you went for?

I have been using a tyre for the past few years that I bet none of ye have heard of "Aelous", great tyre and that's what I have on my Toledo now and also my wifes car, and my sister's car, and my Dad's car...... you get the drift :)

17 hours ago, techie said:

I have been using a tyre for the past few years that I bet none of ye have heard of "Aelous", great tyre and that's what I have on my Toledo now and also my wifes car, and my sister's car, and my Dad's car...... you get the drift :)

As you say, never heard of them, but you seem to quite like them...   Quick bit of googling, they seem to sell tyres here but mainly for commercial/agricultural applications, not in regular car tyre sizes.

20 minutes ago, simon1304 said:

As you say, never heard of them, but you seem to quite like them...   Quick bit of googling, they seem to sell tyres here but mainly for commercial/agricultural applications, not in regular car tyre sizes.

Yes the Tyre dealer I deal with here has the national franchise, they recently bought Pirelli so serious players. :)

Look up reviews for other brand name tyres for 205/50 16, I will not be returning to 215/45 16 anyway.

A Chinese State Owned company bought Pirelli,

who is the National Franchise that have bought Pirelli now, or do they buy Pirelli's?

4 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

A Chinese State Owned company bought Pirelli,

who is the National Franchise that have bought Pirelli now, or do they buy Pirelli's?

Here in Ireland, my local tyre supplier has the national franchise for Aelous.

He told me Aelous bought out Pirelli but I see its only their truck tyre side

Yes 'merged'.

Michelin own the TIGAR Tyre factory & i buy these European Manufactured tyres from ATS Euromaster and rate them as not Ditch Finders, 

recently i fitted GOODRIDE tyres again (ATS Euromaster) which i used to buy for winters before starting using TIGAR Tyres, 

really impressed with their performance so far, especially seeing at around £100 a pair fitted.

I do use more expensive tyres but am getting fed up of wrecking them, or others driving my cars wrecking them.

Edited by Awayoffski

Very surprised by Goodride on the Multipla. The quietest tyres we ever fitted to it in 9 years... and there were lots, that heavy diesel lump chewed up front tyres regularly.

Edited by camelspyyder

41 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

Very surprised by Goodride on the Multipla. The quietest tyres we ever fitted to it in 9 years... and there were lots, that heavy diesel lump chewed up front tyres regularly.

Goodride... Chinesse ditch finders made by Zhongce.

?

Have you ever driven a car with any Goodride tyres fitted?

If not then maybe try sometime because China is a rather big place and just considering tyres as Ditch Finders without trying is rather 

Internet myth forming & tyre brand snobbery.

Personally i fit tyres to suit the use they will get and for safety and cheap need not mean rubbish, i have had plenty very expensive tyres over the year that are total rubbish and the VW Group are one of the car Manufacturers that fit OEM tyres that are really crap.

They might be from the 5 or 6 big name tyre manufacturers but that counts for nothing.

Goodride SA 37, 205/45 ZR17's 88V XL.  

Doing rather well in the wet, less flashing TC than with some tyres that have been on that cost 3 times as much which is the important bit.

DSCN1996.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski

To go slightly OT again then, i fit Dunlop Sport Maxx 17's in the warm weather because i get them cheap because Skoda when cars had Pulling Left issues because of bad alignment from the Factory they approved fitting Pirelli Zero Nero because these hard sidewalls and non directional tyres disguised the cause.

Good tyres IMO for spirited driving in the dry, but the sidewalls can be easily damaged, you need to watch the inside sidewall, and they can go out of shape on the rear.

My daily drive has Continental Premium Contact 2 ContiSeal which i thought were dire when i first got them but turned out to be great over this winter in the wet and cold. Good comfort as well, but then the ones i have have a big sidewall in 215/60 R16.

(needed to get 2 spares to carry for going to areas where a wrecked tyre would be an issue, so i got a pair of Winters.)

DSCN2199.JPG

DSCN2200.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski

On 24/04/2017 at 17:24, camelspyyder said:

I have Ken ^^^^^ - grippy, quiet, and showing little wear at 16000.

19 hours ago, RickTT said:

Goodride... Chinesse ditch finders made by Zhongce.

Not all of them...the 185/65R15 Goodride RP28 is very quiet riding, good wear, has ok grip and... it's Cheap as chips.

Edited by camelspyyder

12 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

?

Have you ever driven a car with any Goodride tyres fitted?

If not then maybe try sometime because China is a rather big place and just considering tyres as Ditch Finders without trying is rather 

Internet myth forming & tyre brand snobbery.

yes.. I had a pair of on the rear of my 5 series, SW608 winter tyres if i remember correctly.. had to replace with a cheap pair just before christmas after picking up a unrepairable puncture on a the Michelin Alpines mid winter.

In low temps they were dangerous with no lateral grip.  I ended up replacing them with Winter Sport 3D's after around 1000 miles.

Summer tyres could perform different, but my experience was poor.

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

I would have replaced them quick as well on a 5 series BMW, but actually i would never have fitted them in the first place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

I would have replaced them quick as well on a 5 series BMW, but actually i would never have fitted them in the first place.

Agree.. I have always ran decent rubber.. Vredestein, Ultragrips, Semperit's, Winter Sports etc... had a lot over the last 10 years.. 

it was in around 2011 when i fitted the Goodrides when we had that massive freeze, no where had winter rubber in the week before xmas in the size i required and I had to resort to maybe Mytyres or Uktyre shopper to get these in 48 hours... (the summer RFT were also down to the bone so was unable to fit them wheels back on.)

They performed well in snow due to the best part of 10mm tread.. but crap on damp surfaces.

Think i got around £60 back on ebay too for them!

Edited by RickTT