Mk2 Decisions

Morning Everyone.

I am going to be in a position to finally get back into the skoda family. I had two mk1 vrs's but think a mk2 would now be a better choice due to how old the mk1's are getting.

Background is I do between 15-20k mileage a year, so my thought are 1.2 tsi (105) monte carlo or the 1.6 or finally the vrs.

Now I don't drive into central London but do park up in the bulbs and get a tube in, so with London diesel bashing I am unsure about the 1.6 .

Any opinions would be gratefully received, budget is circa 5.5k

Thanks

Steve

I'd go for the 1.2 TSI Monte Carlo if it was me. There a nice nimble little motor 

As much as I love my VRS, i wouldn't nip about town in it as a lot of the Oil Consumption issues arise from short runs etc on these.

Obviously it's personal preference but that's my 10p worth for you :)

• Like 2

Mine is a 1.2 (85) Elegence 16 inch alloys with remap to 120 plus stiffened suspension using powerflex bushes and returns 43 mpg. 

Not sure about trim differences with Monte Carlo. Mine is a 2011 with no traction control or ESP which I think makes it a nicer drive experience, got climate air con as well.

Edited by Kenrw8
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

Mine is a 1.2 (85) Elegence 16 inch alloys with remap to 120 plus stiffened suspension using powerflex bushes and returns 43 mpg. 

Not sure about trim differences with Monte Carlo. Mine is a 2011 with no traction control or ESP which I think makes it a nicer drive experience, got climate air con as well.

How much of the suspension have you polybushed?

Im considering it for mine this summer...

All but upper damper bushes, including lower engine mount. But when the air con kicked in at idle the car rocked, but sorted at remap with slight increase in idle. It worth it the difference is noticeable very little roll. Still have standard springs and dampers.

• Like 1

On 26.4.2017 at 12:58, S27VEJ said:

I'd go for the 1.2 TSI Monte Carlo if it was me. There a nice nimble little motor 

As much as I love my VRS, i wouldn't nip about town in it as a lot of the Oil Consumption issues arise from short runs etc on these.

Obviously it's personal preference but that's my 10p worth for you :)

When driving in town, just make sure to not to let the car revv under 2.000 rpms. Interestingly the engine consumes oil when keeping the rpms under 2.000 rpms.

Don't ask me why as my vocabulary is limited aswell as my technical knowledge - lol. 

• Like 1

I really like my monte carlo 1.6 tdi 105 , and coming from a mk1 vrs around 190bhp It took a while to get used to the power drop but a remap will take it to 145/150 even more with intercooler and dpf pipe bout 165, but even standard it's nice and nippy and good on fuel , I don't trust the petrol engine vrs also being a mechanic I dont wanna be working on my car all the time 

• Like 2

I would prefer the diesel but I am concerned about the hammering diesel might get. I travel to London for work and have heard that they may charge diesels as far out as the north and south circular