Coolant level TDI 2011 170 DSG min or max?

Hi all

I am a little perplexed with the coolant level on the new to me Superb. Owned about 2 weeks and it had a cambelt kit before I picked it up. Currently on 87k done about 600 miles in it now. 

i have topped up from minimum at cold to max with g12 and today with water. 

I have not had a warning even when at min. I ran the car today with the cap off 1.5k revs until reached 90. The level is above max when hot. No hissing when cap removed earlier. 

Is this normal for the coolant level to be at min? I have heard some say it's how some cars are. I am not new to VAG or Skoda. This car feels different. 

I am also still coming to terms with the needle going to 90 slowly. It did that one cold morning recently, again been fine since that day. 

As per the Handbook - Pge 220 (abbreviated) - i assume you don't have one.

When cold top up to between MIN and MAX.

Do not fill above the MAX level, as coolant may expand when hot and be forced out of the pressure relief valve.

The warning light on the dashboard does not come on on start-up but only if the temp. is too high, or the level too low.

Don't panic unless it does.

6 minutes ago, BJM said:

As per the Handbook - Pge 220 (abbreviated) - i assume you don't have one.

When cold top up to between MIN and MAX.

Do not fill above the MAX level, as coolant may expand when hot and be forced out of the pressure relief valve.

The warning light on the dashboard does not come on on start-up but only if the temp. is too high, or the level too low.

Don't panic unless it does.

The book was way too large,lol Prefer real user based opinions  I only topped up to max when cold on both occasions. When up to temperature I noticed coolant a above max, hard to say where though. So what's the norm for these cars ?

Coolant always need to be between min and max when cold - if you topped up to the max when cold - you need to drain a bit or risk overflow which is bad for the paint.

I always top mine up to the MAX mark when cold.

When the engine is hot the level rises above max a few centimeters but never vents out of the overflow.

As long as it isn't dropping below minimum after refilling it, this would suggest a leak.

Taking an age or rising quickly from 0 to 90 degrees on the dial is normal and heavily influenced by the external air temperature, how hard the engine is working and the demands you are placing on the heating system.

If its really cold outside, you are sat in slow-moving traffic and are asking the heating system for heat then the temperature gauge will rise very slowly. It may never reach 90 degrees during the journey. It is also possible it will drop whilst idling too. The car may also increase the RPM to around 1,000 in an effort to generate more heat if it is struggling to do it during the current driving style.

Likewise if its hot weather, the car is on the move at speed and you aren't asking the heating system for heat then it will reach 90 degrees very quickly.

Only if it begins to exceed 90 degrees (12 o'clock) should you worry. This suggests the car is operating hotter then normal and should be very closely monitored.

Edited by silver1011

I will monitor it again. Maybe wait for the warning on the dash that proves it's dropping well below min. 

As for the temperature what prompted me to make the top up initially was the fact the needle played up one cold morning my journey is mostly motorway and I am only a mile from the motorway in the morning. 

One 190 mile trip Tuesday. Coolant still on max today cold and unused as took Octy to work.  Second journey tomorrow same distance motorway. Let's see what happens to the level