Diesel Tax Change

2 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Surely the current 1.2 is not an issue still!

It may not be but the budget is only 5k so a new 1.2 is out of the question.

As for travelling, I drive into the suburbs of London to get a tube in 90% of the time.

2 hours ago, V5-Steve said:

It may not be but the budget is only 5k so a new 1.2 is out of the question.

As for travelling, I drive into the suburbs of London to get a tube in 90% of the time.

The cheapest option is the one you have already.

Looking at fuel economies on Spritmonitor it seems there will be a 10-20mpg difference between 1.2 TSI and 1.6 TDI.

So doing 20,000 miles a year is not an insignificant saving. I'd say you're still going to be better off even if car tax bands rise slightly.

There are no firm plans as to what they will be increasing and to what.

I'm borderline requiring a diesel (about 12k miles a year) but there's no way I'm towing a caravan with a 2.0T petrol and doing less than 20mpg! Not when my diesel can manage 30mpg+ while towing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Phil-E said:

Looking at fuel economies on Spritmonitor it seems there will be a 10-20mpg difference between 1.2 TSI and 1.6 TDI.

So doing 20,000 miles a year is not an insignificant saving. I'd say you're still going to be better off even if car tax bands rise slightly.

There are no firm plans as to what they will be increasing and to what.

I'm borderline requiring a diesel (about 12k miles a year) but there's no way I'm towing a caravan with a 2.0T petrol and doing less than 20mpg! Not when my diesel can manage 30mpg+ while towing.

So in your opinion diesel is still the best way to go , even with tax changes.

Diesel might be the best way to go if your high miles are between towns and cities and does not involve going through major UK cities or parking in them much in the next 3 years or how ever long you own the car you are buying.

• Like 1

Yesterday someone from the 'RAC' was on the telly talking about the UK Government, Diesels, Scrapage Schemes etc.

He said 'Scrappage Scheme' payouts for the most polluting diesels would need to be targeted to the most polluting vehicles, vans etc, those doing higher miles, 

used more often & that would not be possible to know.

Well HMRC know because Business & Commercial users submit Tax Returns, and the DVLA have the DVSA and MOT milages annually on vehicles @ 3 years old and older so Euro 5, Euro 4 & before.

So the UK Government can contact Registered Keepers of Commercial, Business & Private use vehicles that the Government want off the roads or out of Towns and Cities and offer the 'Incentive' to Scrap. 

They know the Owner / Registered Keepers Taxable Income and circumstances pretty much, annual miles, registered address, type of business or employment, 

fuel purchased annually and much more if they bother to check.

No idea why the RAC should think this is information for them though, they are not some Automobile Club, just a business.

• Like 1

They've no money so any scrappage scheme will come with catches. Probably only older diesels and might even be means tested.

Probably additional VED on new diesels, they might put it on retrospectively but that's always a bit politically dangerous.

DIESEL DELAY 

Dirty diesels go unsold as prices tumble and how you can avoid losing out when you sell

Fears of a scrappage scheme and city centre pollution taxes have caused motorists to shift models in record numbers.   DIESEL owners are struggling to sell their cars as values yo-yo amid fears of a scrappage scheme and extra city centre pollution taxes.  Prices for diesel fell at the start of 2017 as record numbers of drivers tried to shift their models while the time it took to off-load a diesel doubled from six to 12 days.  Prices dipped as much as 10 per cent below average at the start of the year and are now sitting at four per cent below. Some experts predict they could fall further as the year goes on, too.  In the same time period, according to car selling website Wizzle.co.uk, prices for petrol cars remained stable taking an average of just four days to sell. And areas threatened with new clean air zones showed huge increases in motorists trying to sell their diesels.

DIESEL SURGE: WHERE DRIVERS ARE SELLING

1. Essex – 43 per cent increase
  2. Southampton – 41 per cent
  3. London – 40 per cent
  4. Manchester – 39 per cent
  5. Birmingham – 36 per cent

but....

Auctions are predominantly the home for fleet and business sellers and buyers but British Car Auctions (BCA) has recorded a year-on-year rise for diesel prices – up £446 since January 2017.  Tim Naylor, BCA spokesman, added: “Our data shows average diesel values have improved year-on-year. Some of this rise reflects a lower average age and mileage and changing model mix in 2017, but the underlying demand is clear.  “The average diesel car is also retaining its value slightly better than a year ago, too.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/3518340/dirty-diesels-go-unsold-as-prices-tumble-and-how-to-avoid-losing-out-when-you-sell/

looks like the usual spin re Diesel issues but some good bargains to be had if the price dips are true.

Car ownership comes down to much more than just tax...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, skomaz said:

looks like the usual spin re Diesel issues but some good bargains to be had if the price dips are true.

Car ownership comes down to much more than just tax...

They seem to be suggesting that diesel owners in the big cities, particularly Birmingham, London and Manchester, are reading the runes and dumping their diesels (non-SCR, Euro5 and before) as they fear the penalties that are being discussed by those authorities and they all have similarly minded authorities in charge of those cities now.

If one does not fear that the upcoming diesel surcharges, city entry fees or excise tax some expect to be loaded on to diesel fuel then indeed there are some bargains and some of the fear of being stuck with a diesel car that may have restricted access to some cities is counterbalanced by new vehicle prices have risen by about 10% since BREXIT and the new higher VED charges supporting the values of second hand cars somewhat.

God only knows why people are fearing the penalties at this stage - it's going to be a few years before anything is introduced, if at all.

Either way it'll not bother me.

For info re the recently publicised figures re early deaths the link below provides some clarity on the reliability (or not) of the figures...

https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/news/does-air-pollution-kill-40000-people-each-year-uk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skomaz said:

God only knows why people are fearing the penalties at this stage - it's going to be a few years before anything is introduced, if at all.

Either way it'll not bother me.

For info re the recently publicised figures re early deaths the link below provides some clarity on the reliability (or not) of the figures...

https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/news/does-air-pollution-kill-40000-people-each-year-uk

I will be changing the Octavia 1.6 diesel in the next couple of months and I will replace it with another Octavia 1.6 or 2.0 diesel. All the hype about how bad diesels are really is political spin, if diesel emissions are causing so many health issues then ban the diesel tomorrow...that's all lorries, buses, cars, vans, trains, ships generators etc. oh the country will grind to a halt.

Our family S max diesel will be getting replaced with another diesel as neither volvo or nissan do petrol for the vehicles we want.

I am torn between a 98k mile mk2 vrs or a 118d m.sport. We shall see how it all works out.