Octavia VRS Estate detachable towbar

Can anyone post a photo of a neatly installed detachable towbar on a Octavia VRS estate please?

I have a December 2014 model which I want to add a towbar to but I really, really want it to be invisible when detached. Try as I might I can't find a photo anywhere and my local towbar place is not much help. So if you've got on one your VRS estate, could you let me have a look please?

29 minutes ago, NorfolkVRS said:

Can anyone post a photo of a neatly installed detachable towbar on a Octavia VRS estate please?

I have a December 2014 model which I want to add a towbar to but I really, really want it to be invisible when detached. Try as I might I can't find a photo anywhere and my local towbar place is not much help. So if you've got on one your VRS estate, could you let me have a look please?

Don't worry you won't see it

20170503_111149.jpg

20170503_111202.jpg

I have the Westfalia detachable on my 2016 vRS hatch, and the tow bar looks just like the one above.  The defuser is different, but the cutout is similar and it's equally invisible.

5 minutes ago, phineas said:

Getting mine fitted later this month so can post up a pic then ...

That would be very kind of you, many thanks.

Ideally, I'd like to fit some sort of blanking plate to completely conceal what's lurking behind the diffuser but I guess I'm being a bit too hopeful ...

The car is booked in with Phil Taylor Tow Bars - they fitted the towbar on my Yeti a couple of years ago and fitted an access panel / cover which was allvery neat and tidy.
I have not asked them about the Octavia - will check with them

Mine is an aftermarket Witter but it is more noticeable than the factory fit.  I'm used to it now and don't really notice it.  I can get another pic from straight behind if you like, the attached is taken from below.

IMG_0397.JPG

6 hours ago, mk4gtiturbo said:

Mine is an aftermarket Witter but it is more noticeable than the factory fit.  I'm used to it now and don't really notice it.  I can get another pic from straight behind if you like, the attached is taken from below.

IMG_0397.JPG

Wow, now thats what I call a lotta booty

Hopefully the pictures come up, 2017 pre facelift VRS DSG 4x4, with westfailia detachable swan neck and there dedicated electrics, fitted and coded on the drive by a retrofit company. 

Dealers were not interested and told me to use the retrofitters, all good with our caravan. 

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

• Like 2

On 04/05/2017 at 18:02, Adcooper said:

Hopefully the pictures come up, 2017 pre facelift VRS DSG 4x4, with westfailia detachable swan neck and there dedicated electrics, fitted and coded on the drive by a retrofit company. 

Dealers were not interested and told me to use the retrofitters, all good with our caravan. 

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

That looks just like what I'm after. Could you possibly take another pic from about 5m behind your vehicle please? And how much did you pay and who fitted it please? Many thanks in advance

Company was dasauto in the Midlands done on my drive all coded etc seems to be all good with our caravan. Cost was £499 which was the same as indespension and a few other fitters for a detachable and dedicated electrics. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adcooper said:

all coded etc seems to be all good with our caravan.

Will your car let you run in Eco mode when towing ?

Thats the tricky bit, that I think (can't be sure) needs VAGCom to enable

You really don't want to be free-wheeling with a load on the back

BTW these retro fit prices are good when you consider the optional extra price for a factor fit is £550

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

BTW these retro fit prices are good when you consider the optional extra price for a factor fit is £550

I've found a "quirk" with that, both of my towbars (both Westfalia with dedicated 13pin electrics) have been checked and coded by the dealers, I'm unable to select "ECO" driving mode, but it is possible to select custom mode and have ECO set for the gearbox in there (I've not towed like that), was surprised to find it was possble to do.

Edited by Miz

14 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Nope won't let me select Eco when the electrics are plugged in, when reverse is selected the rear parking sensors do not work (picture on the display shows an a frame), the rear fog doesn't come on and not tried taking the plug out when the car is locked to see if the alarm goes off though. 

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

• Like 1

On 08/05/2017 at 21:09, themanwithnoaim said:

Does the gearbox mode show up in the top right side of the Maxi-dot as an E1 or D1 ?

I think you'll find it allows you to select Eco Mode but, does not allow the DSG to free-wheel

I'll check next time I have a trailer connected.

Westfalia detachable swan neck Installed this morning by Phil Taylor Tow bars in Horndean. Very neat bumper cut, and can't really tell it's there unless you are very low behind the car. 

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

• Like 1

On 08/05/2017 at 21:09, themanwithnoaim said:

Does the gearbox mode show up in the top right side of the Maxi-dot as an E1 or D1 ?

I think you'll find it allows you to select Eco Mode but, does not allow the DSG to free-wheel

Mine is a factory fit and does go into E1 via this method and permit freewheeling. I only use mine for a bike rack so loss of engine braking is no biggie

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2017 at 12:24, phineas said:

Westfalia detachable swan neck Installed this morning by Phil Taylor Tow bars in Horndean. Very neat bumper cut, and can't really tell it's there unless you are very low behind the car. 

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

Nice one Phil, many thanks for posting these pics.

How much did all this cost please? And did you get anywhere with finding out if a cover plate was feasible / available?

Thanks again.

Edited by NorfolkVRS

Hi, they created a cover for the Yeti because the bumper cut is quite high-up and therefore very noticeable.

For the Octavia, because the bumper cut is much lower, they thought a cover was not needed.
The cost was £580 for 7 pin electrics and full coding.   You can probably get it cheaper - but I've always had great advice and service from Phil Taylor so didn't mind paying bit more

Pete

Edited by phineas