Problem flashing glow plug light now with VCDS scan

My woes continue with the new ride Superb 2 DSG 170 2011 88k. 5 days of no driving took it to work having topped up £10 of Shell standard derv. (See other thread about my requirements for range). Trek is 95 miles at 6am. 6.5 degrees on temperature gauge most of trip today. 

The car stats into the journey.

49 miles

50 mins

oil temp 70 as does the temp gauge say the same. Again this should have reached 90 like it usually does well before this. Has done this before with some coolant low issues(another thread) that's fine now too. 

Anyway 85 miles into journey of gently 70ish cruising I have to slow down for traffic and the glow plug light is flashing and I then notice when accelerating there is a distinct lack of turbo boost. I think this is defianately limp mode. Anyway continued off the motorway at the next junction and into the work car park. Light still flashing no other warnings. 

Having read around the net and Briskoda there is a exhaust sensor fault and perhaps other things, like a DSG temperature sensor for the needle issue ?

I am now deeply suspicious that the low temperature and my sedate albeit motorway speed driving today could have been the cause of this ?

Restarting it at work no warning this morning. 

Fast forward to 16.30 journey home. Outside temperature 22 according to car. It's up to the 90 on the needle after about 5-10 miles. Decide to drive it in sport a little and run it at 3.5k revs for a mile in a low gear. All the way home mixture of driving motorway sport mode/ drive mode. Stop start traffic. No issues whatsoever ever. 

Refueled before parking up at 18.40. Perfect. 

Tried to use my simple code reader. Refuses to read the engine code and abs. Airbag ok. Thought I may as well check everything. 

So in the absence of a code reader. What am I looking at here ?

Edited by gav_is_con
Updates

I now have some VCDS info thanks to cjb on forum here

Attached is a subset of what is my first scan of the car. 

Its on 87912k now. But the engine error km to miles converted in google was 86237 I don't think I was on that mileage when the glow plug light flashing issue occurred more like 87795. So if the conversion is right it happened early in my ownership though, but i have never seen any errors before. 

Any ideas anyone ?

IMG_9338.PNG

IMG_9339.PNG

IMG_9340.PNG

IMG_9341.PNG

Seems like you have the well documented G450 sensor failure, a common issue and easily fixed...

Fault Code No.1: P2452...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18884/P2452/009298

Faulty sensors often result in other related faults, so I'd start with the G450 before looking at replacement EGR's or DPF's... 

Fault Code No.2: P0403...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16787/P0403/001027

14 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Seems like you have the well documented G450 sensor failure, a common issue and easily fixed...

Fault Code No.1: P2452...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18884/P2452/009298

Faulty sensors often result in other related faults, so I'd start with the G450 before looking at replacement EGR's or DPF's... 

Fault Code No.2: P0403...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16787/P0403/001027

So this problem is not because of something else. Sorry for sounding thick. Bad fuel. Bad driving as in not enough high revs?

I did suspect this before having the codes read as it's common. How about the temperature needle issue no error logged for that. Should I get a DSG temp sensor at the same time or just wait ?

The G450 is a weak point on a lot of cars, it's under the bonnet so gets hot, occasionally damp and is vibrating around all day.

Stick 'VAG G450' into Google or the search function on here and you'll have enough bedtime reading for the rest of the year!

The sensor is about £80 plus an hours labour to fit and code.

I'd definitely start with this first. If the sensor is giving out duff information on the temperature or load of the DPF then this might be having adverse effects on other systems.

Don't leave it too long either, the DPF won't be regenerating so is filling with soot as we speak! If it is allowed to get too full to prevent a forced regen it'll be £1,000 for a new one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The G450 is a weak point on a lot of cars, it's under the bonnet so gets hot, occasionally damp and is vibrating around all day.

Stick 'VAG G450' into Google or the search function on here and you'll have enough bedtime reading for the rest of the year!

The sensor is about £80 plus an hours labour to fit and code.

I'd definitely start with this first. If the sensor is giving out duff information on the temperature or load of the DPF then this might be having adverse effects on other systems.

Don't leave it too long either, the DPF won't be regenerating so is filling with soot as we speak! If it is allowed to get too full to prevent a forced regen it'll be £1,000 for a new one.

Thanks silver1011. A wealth of knowledge. It's done a few k since the error was logged according to the VCDS KM record, but admittedly the manifestation of the actual warning was just last Thursday once. 

I will start with that as you suggest. 

On 13/05/2017 at 20:23, gav_is_con said:

Thanks silver1011. A wealth of knowledge. It's done a few k since the error was logged according to the VCDS KM record, but admittedly the manifestation of the actual warning was just last Thursday once. 

I will start with that as you suggest. 

Other than insisting the DPF sensor is replaced. There is fears the EGR may need replacing based on that error recording on the day I had the limp/coil glow light problem. The time and date stamp on VCDS corresponds to glow plug light flashing. Where as the DPF sensor is a few k before, no date stamp. 

Should I prepare myself for the EGR showing faults afterwards and is this something that I can check for in VCDS after a few hundred miles ?

Maybe mapping out is the way to go as they are about £650 I have been told?

Edited by gav_is_con
Spelling

Fix the problem you know you have and go from there. There's very little shared labour between DPF sensor replacement and EGR replacement. When the sensor is replaced, have the garage do a forced regen on the DPF to make sure it's cleared out.

EGR replacement is expensive because it's difficult to access, therefore the labour cost is high. The part itself is relatively cheap. There are also other reasons for the EGR system to display faults than a faulty EGR valve. Things like vacuum leaks, N18 solenoid issues, MAF sensor problems, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chimaera said:

Fix the problem you know you have and go from there. There's very little shared labour between DPF sensor replacement and EGR replacement. When the sensor is replaced, have the garage do a forced regen on the DPF to make sure it's cleared out.

EGR replacement is expensive because it's difficult to access, therefore the labour cost is high. The part itself is relatively cheap. There are also other reasons for the EGR system to display faults than a faulty EGR valve. Things like vacuum leaks, N18 solenoid issues, MAF sensor problems, etc.

Because of the adaptation I have booked it into a VAG Indy in Erdington/Bham. They convinced me into a £45 diag and the replacement DPF sensor is about £125. The forced regen will also cost on top. May not be a cheap visit. 

Other than regularly checking for errors how can I check the DPF or EGR via VAGCOM myself?

Given that forcing a regen just involves setting a bit to ensure the engine regens on its next run, they shouldn't be charging you for it IMO.

Just reading back over your earlier posts, the N18 is the solenoid control valve

for the EGR, not the EGR valve itself. Possible causes are damaged valve, loss of vacuum (leaking lines usually), damaged wiring. It's an easy enough diagnosis/fix for someone who knows what they're doing.

3 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Given that forcing a regen just involves setting a bit to ensure the engine regens on its next run, they shouldn't be charging you for it IMO.

Just reading back over your earlier posts, the N18 is the solenoid control valve

for the EGR, not the EGR valve itself. Possible causes are damaged valve, loss of vacuum (leaking lines usually), damaged wiring. It's an easy enough diagnosis/fix for someone who knows what they're doing.

I am in their hands and even as an Indy they are there to make money. Let's see what I hear back tomorrow. 

Could I set it to regen easily with VCDS after I bring it home. Is it advised I wait that long ?

If you have VCDS, then you should be able to. Offhand I'm not sure what the procedure is, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been documented online somewhere. Ross-Tech's forums are a good place to check. Waiting until you get home shouldn't be an issue. The main reason to do it is so that you know the DPF is clean after fitting the new sensor.

Latest update. 

Diagnostics found no errors, because I had cleared them. 

They read the DPF 12g before 

forced the sensor to fault.

Replaced sensor. 

Drove it and only 1g extra added to soot. 

Forced regen not recommended. 

Not sure of cost but expect about £160 all in. 

Thanks to all that assisted me and advised

i may not be able to get the car until Friday due to working so far away. 

• Like 1

Fingers crossed this is fixed.

£160 is pretty good. As mentioned the G450 sensor itself is around £80 so they've only charged you £80 for the labour which is likely to be longer than an hour. Most main dealers are now £100+ per hour for labour.

The EGR's are a bit of a week point on these cars, there are a few ongoing threads with tales of woe. If mine fails it will likely be removed and mapped out along with the DPF. Hopefully that day never comes!

On 17/05/2017 at 20:56, silver1011 said:

Fingers crossed this is fixed.

£160 is pretty good. As mentioned the G450 sensor itself is around £80 so they've only charged you £80 for the labour which is likely to be longer than an hour. Most main dealers are now £100+ per hour for labour.

The EGR's are a bit of a week point on these cars, there are a few ongoing threads with tales of woe. If mine fails it will likely be removed and mapped out along with the DPF. Hopefully that day never comes!

Diag was £37.50, labour £40 then £56.62 for the part. Then add the VAT and you get just under £161. 

Part number of old one I don't know unfortunately, never gave it me despite asking. New sensor is 059 906 051 C made in Germany, if it helps anyone for a 2011 170 DSg car. Saw B revisions in previous threads, maybe changed again ?

IMG_9389.JPG

• Like 1