For those interested to know why there is a whistling noise in 5th gear, this video explains it (sorry, it's in Czech but self-explanatory). Moreover, we can see how to remove the input shaft and the output shaft.

If anyone has a video showing how to dismantle completely both shafts and more importantly how to put everything back together, please upload it here.

Stripped my replacement one today and it was easy, no excessive wear 5th gear nut and gears.

interestingly Skoda fit a doughnut magnet inside to collect the wear and give a good indication of the wear level.

It is obvious that this gearbox has been designed to be repaired/ overhauled by any competent home mechanic.

A good tip is to use a vice with soft jaws on to help you along, also I found that a bahco 10" adjustable spanner was the perfect tool to use the handle as a wedge to effortlessly split the box open (unlike the video).

I am impressed with the robustness of the components and the choice of Torrington bearings in manufacture.

I will be finding and ordering the new bearings and seals over the next few hours.

I will list all the numbers and sizes and give a overview on how long it takes and any other tips I have.

Please be patient as I only get one day off a week and I have the wife's ragtop to finish off before it goes to the paint shop (Skoda que jumped today prior to bidding on a estate felly on fleabay).

Wat is the maximum permissible skim on a AEE cylinder head anybody? 

Very useful to know what you did, how you did it, tools and tips. Any chance of somebody taking photos while you work on the gearbox? Easier to understand. Filming it would be even better.

So why have you decided to overhaul the gearbox?