My latest mod - airbags visible

3 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Car is already being repaired and will, hopefully, return in it's former glory...

...but now something fun:

Service indicator was on before the accident, so I thought they could do the service for me when the car was already there - they asked me (wait for it...) 500€(!!!) for oil change, cabin filter change and spark plug change :):):)

...car has 60000km, can anyone confirm what is the average price for this service?

I think I am going to shop around to have the service done elsewhere - that is the best dealer in town, where the car is now, but these prices are a bit... Too much.

That's kicking a man when he's down!  Go elsewhere for the service. 

Hope the the repair goes well!

41 minutes ago, BATVANVRS said:

In the U.K that should be a Skoda major service @ £269.00 which includes everything from the minor service too.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed/pages/default.aspx

Take a look at the bottom of the page :thumbup:

Yeah, that is in line with what I expected to pay...

I had sth similar once with Renault Laguna 2 (yeah, I know, this car is a dumb idea in the first place...)

In my case the bumper was actually intact and from 10m distance it was hard to say if something even happened to the car...if not for the windshield. The passenger bag blew it.

List of "extras" to be replaced included cooler (yeah, made in big part of plastic, placed in a way that a proper kick can crack it), both headlights (intact but broke the fittings), dash, airbags, 7 (seven) belt tensioners, etc, etc, etc.... The listing was 3 pages A4 paper with approx 8k€ figure at the end! And the crap-of-a-car Renault did look way less damaged than your Octy. The service quality of Renault was just the ising on the cake after that: scratched gauges glass, broken hands-free, cracked paintwork in various spots, main bulbs died within first 100km, etc, etc, etc...

The strangest thing in all of it is that I was dumb enough to buy another french car just few years later - Peugeot. Yeah, I'm a slow learner :P

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wlange said:

I had sth similar once with Renault Laguna 2 (yeah, I know, this car is a dumb idea in the first place...)

In my case the bumper was actually intact and from 10m distance it was hard to say if something even happened to the car...if not for the windshield. The passenger bag blew it.

List of "extras" to be replaced included cooler (yeah, made in big part of plastic, placed in a way that a proper kick can crack it), both headlights (intact but broke the fittings), dash, airbags, 7 (seven) belt tensioners, etc, etc, etc.... The listing was 3 pages A4 paper with approx 8k€ figure at the end! And the crap-of-a-car Renault did look way less damaged than your Octy. The service quality of Renault was just the ising on the cake after that: scratched gauges glass, broken hands-free, cracked paintwork in various spots, main bulbs died within first 100km, etc, etc, etc...

The strangest thing in all of it is that I was dumb enough to buy another french car just few years later - Peugeot. Yeah, I'm a slow learner :P

Mine was a very clean hit and the speed really was very low. I think damage was worse cause the car in front had a towing hook.

Pretty sure all is fine with the lights - mostly ****ed now cause went to get some stuff from the car and the guy from the towing company that went to fetch the car scratched 2 of my wheels when tying the car down.

...and he was ready to just throw the hook anywhere in the car and drag it onto the truck if it wasn't for me stopping him and saying that the car was still driveable and was potentially to be repaired - he was treating it like scrap already!

I can only imagine what would have been of my suspension/steering rack if he just randomly put a hook there and pull the car - he would have caused way more damage.

6 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Mine was a very clean hit and the speed really was very low. I think damage was worse cause the car in front had a towing hook.

Pretty sure all is fine with the lights - mostly ****ed now cause went to get some stuff from the car and the guy from the towing company that went to fetch the car scratched 2 of my wheels when tying the car down.

...and he was ready to just throw the hook anywhere in the car and drag it onto the truck if it wasn't for me stopping him and saying that the car was still driveable and was potentially to be repaired - he was treating it like scrap already!

I can only imagine what would have been of my suspension/steering rack if he just randomly put a hook there and pull the car - he would have caused way more damage.

Good that less-destructive option took place ;)

Let's hope your Octy gets back on 4 wheels in no time!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wlange said:

Good that less-destructive option took place ;)

Let's hope your Octy gets back on 4 wheels in no time!

Last I heard, it already has a new windshield and some "security features" were repaired - I assume seat belts and sensors, maybe airbags. Only the bumper to do, but it seems they are really busy so.... I must wait.

25 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Last I heard, it already has a new windshield and some "security features" were repaired - I assume seat belts and sensors, maybe airbags. Only the bumper to do, but it seems they are really busy so.... I must wait.

My Renault Crapguna took over 2 weeks to fix...waited that long only to get a car that needed a "repair after the repair".

I hope your's turns out better!

1 hour ago, Croat said:

Airbags are one of most expensive parts of the car.

Absolutely correct - driver's airbag = 1500€, passenger's airbag (including dashboard) = 2500€ and not counting the leg's curtain airbag, which I think is slightly cheaper.

21 hours ago, Croat said:

Airbags are one of most expensive parts of the car.

Which is why ist not uncommon to see brand new cars at dealerships with broken side windows and missing airbags :dry: A local Mercedes dealership had 7 new high end cars vandalised and ripped of airbags not long ago.  

When you count all airbags in Octavia it sums up to almost a half of price for the car. Electronics are second most expencive parts. Chasis, windwosa, engine all that together come close to all airbags together. So no wonder prices for cars went up!

So, my car is almost ready - they called today to confirm I did not want the service to be done... And... I told them that no, since I had a quote of 370€ elsewhere as opposed to the 500€ they had asked for...

...so he goes "Is your car auto or manual?" - Manual. (Silence)

Yeah, well... Those 500€ included an extra opening up the brakes(?????) but we can do the regular service without that for 370€.

Sounds more like it to me now ;)