Mk2 Tsi preventative maint

Hi all.

So after a long search and a trip to the UK I finally got my sister a 2010 mk2 vrs TSI dsg.

So I'm going to do all the usual stuff...full service, dsg oil etc...is there anything else that would be recommended to be changed...like the pcv or diverter valves on the tfsi or are the ones on this engine ok?

Also there's 75k miles on it...and I'm reading all the horror stories about the timing chain tensioner...can I fit the newest revision tensioner and a new cover plate on its own or would a whole chain replacement be better...car goes perfect...no rattles when cold etc.

Thanks

Gary

5 minutes ago, vRS-IRL said:

Hi all.

So after a long search and a trip to the UK I finally got my sister a 2010 mk2 vrs TSI dsg.

So I'm going to do all the usual stuff...full service, dsg oil etc...is there anything else that would be recommended to be changed...like the pcv or diverter valves on the tfsi or are the ones on this engine ok?

Also there's 75k miles on it...and I'm reading all the horror stories about the timing chain tensioner...can I fit the newest revision tensioner and a new cover plate on its own or would a whole chain replacement be better...car goes perfect...no rattles when cold etc.

Thanks

Gary

A full chain kit is in my opinion £600 well spent in preventative maintenance. I changed mine around 50k miles, just in case!

• Like 1

2010 - I would certainly do the chain and tensioner. You are on borrowed time. pre mid 2011, you also have the earlier revision piston / ring set.  Hopefully the car has been on fixed service regime - best to keep it that way to try and avoid excessive oil consumption problems.

Edited by TheClient

I'm going to look at getting the chain and tensioner replaced in the next 2 weeks so. The service history I got with the car says it's on a variable service regime...I must keep an eye on the oil level and see what it's like. Thanks for the replies.

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

A good preventative measure would be get it off Variable Servicing & do Oil / Filter changes every 12 months or 10,000 miles.

Maybe stop using Long Life Oil as well and use some decent VW 502 00 5w 40 Full Synthetic.

That won't be an issue anymore as I do oil and filter every 7000km to 10000km.. and I always use proper oil...the tfsi they sold to me has 130k miles on it and has no issues as I looked after it and always serviced it on time and with the right stuff.

9 minutes ago, vRS-IRL said:

I'm going to look at getting the chain and tensioner replaced in the next 2 weeks so. The service history I got with the car says it's on a variable service regime...I must keep an eye on the oil level and see what it's like. Thanks for the replies.

100% go with fixed service intervals. To keep the same oil in a motor for around 20k miles does not make any sense to me. Mine is serviced every 10k miles, but as I am super fussy, I also change the oil and filter again myself between services as well. 

• Like 1

7,000-10,000 km oil changes with Fully Synthetic oil is just wasting money really IMO unless there are extreme environmental conditions or usage.

ie Track use, very short journeys, extreme weather conditions of heat and cold, humidity, dampness etc.

The Oil filters are more likely to be the weak link rather than decent oil used for 9,400 miles. 15,000km.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Awayoffski said:

7,000-10,000 km oil changes with Fully Synthetic oil is just wasting money really IMO unless there are extreme environmental conditions or usage.

ien Track use, very short journeys etc.

The Oil filters are more likely to be the weak link rather than decent oil used for 9,400 miles. 15,000km.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

The car does alot of short journeys..one of the main reasons that they bought the petrol and not a diesel actually.

1 hour ago, planehazza said:

My 2.0TSI is due an oil change and was recommended switching from longlife to a good 502 spec oil in another thread. What about this one? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182323733508

In answer to the op, I definitely recommend getting the chain and tensioner done for peace of mind. 

Any decent approved VW502.00  5W40 may improve oil consumption a bit especially if a little is being burnt rather than leaking. Really, you should readily see 1 litre leaking and over service schedule duration of 12months plus, 5 Litres or more, is a lot of oil to be pooling on the engine or undertray a lot of oil should be visible.  The little oil seepage I have, which is noticeable in some places doesn't yet amount to noticeable oil consumption.

On the intake pipe above turbo it hasn't yet returned but it has only been a few months and inside the tract it seemed almost totally dry.

If you look at this thread on engine failures, there is some more detailed postings on Rayx recommendations and ideally you need ACEA A3/B4. Rayx seems to know his stuff.  A quality oil in that spec can't hurt.

The castrols and quantum are C3. There are quite a few 502.00 in A3/B4 but you have to look more carefully at two specs combined.

53 minutes ago, TheClient said:

Any decent approved VW502.00  5W40 may improve oil consumption a bit especially if a little is being burnt rather than leaking. Really, you should readily see 1 litre leaking and over service schedule duration of 12months plus, 5 Litres or more, is a lot of oil to be pooling on the engine or undertray a lot of oil should be visible.  The little oil seepage I have, which is noticeable in some places doesn't yet amount to noticeable oil consumption.

On the intake pipe above turbo it hasn't yet returned but it has only been a few months and inside the tract it seemed almost totally dry.

If you look at this thread on engine failures, there is some more detailed postings on Rayx recommendations and ideally you need ACEA A3/B4. Rayx seems to know his stuff.  A quality oil in that spec can't hurt.

The castrols and quantum are C3. There are quite a few 502.00 in A3/B4 but you have to look more carefully at two specs combined.

Sweet, cheers. I'll give a good 502 5w40 a go soon.  I'm actually overdue a service, but all filters and oil have been changed within a year so I'm safe from that point of view.

• 2 weeks later...