Portable chain and lock recommendations?

fabiamk2SE

As the title really. I'm a little stuck because everytime i research i end up looking at a stupidly heavy chain which isnt portable at all. 

Basically.. i just want something half decent which i can throw in the panniers. 

Budget.. Around £100, don't want to spend silly money as it will only get used on trips. 

Anybody any ideas? 

Cheers! 

12 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Try a pragmasis 13mm with a Roundlock. It's not bolt cropper proof like a 16+mm chain but still very tough, not too heavy and the lock can be used on your disc too. Slightly over your budget but worth it. 

http://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P13-x.x-RoundLock

I was hoping you'd see this :D. Cheers. 

Not spotted those before. Looks good with good promises though? Loads cheaper than the big names too. Defo worth a punt then? 

I have checked the Abus stuff but that seems to be over priced crap from the reviews? Also the Oxford stuff seems not worth bothering with? 

Edited. Just spotted it. 2.9kg per metre. So around 5kg if i went for a 1.5m one. Seems light enough to put in a pannier? 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

3 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I wouldn't put it in a pannier but use a small bag on the back. That way you can dump the panniers when not in use. 

ah okay. Good shout. Protects the panniers too! Im a complete noob on chains and locks.. i know nout! :D

Reckon 1.5m is long enough for just general chaining bikes together or chaining to a lampost? or would 2.0m be more sensible? Tryna save weight and bulk but want it usable and to do its job aswel :D

Sorry for my noobness on this subject :D 

I would go for 2m over a 1.5m for the flexibility. I use a 1.5m in the garage which only just goes from the ground anchor then through the frame at the rear cylinder head whilst it's on the centre stand. 

These chains are long loop so if you're not using the full length you can a link through another to shorten it. Ideally you don't want a slack in the chain where it can rested on the ground and attacked with a hammer and freeze spray. 

On the back the bike you won't notice the extra weight of the longer chain like you would in a pannier. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I would go for 2m over a 1.5m for the flexibility. I use a 1.5m in the garage which only just goes from the ground anchor then through the frame at the rear cylinder head whilst it's on the centre stand. 

These chains are long loop so if you're not using the full length you can a link through another to shorten it. Ideally you don't want a slack in the chain where it can rested on the ground and attacked with a hammer and freeze spray. 

On the back the bike you won't notice the extra weight of the longer chain like you would in a pannier. 

Sound. Thanks for your help! I think that is what i shall go for! 

I hadnt ridden with the panniers on this bike until last night. i purposely loaded them up ready for the weekend and went for a 60 mile spin. Tbf, even though one was loaded more than the other i couldn't even tell they were on anyway. i've had alsorts on previous bikes but i think because these are quite narrow and sit close to the bike, they werent really noticeable. I kept looking in my mirrors to make sure they were still there even :D 

I've always need to remind myself that I have panniers on especially when busy traffic so I don't remove people's door mirrors. Other than that I don't really notice them unless it's windy and they act like sails. 

Only scarey moment with luggage was on a fully laden Honda Varadero complete with panniers, top box, luggage rack complete with dry sac. It was very heavy! Add to that my wife, only 10st, but not an experienced pillion. Hit the steep loading, greasy loading ramp of the Hull ferry, front wheel lifts in the air and I couldn't get it back down as my wife, oblivious to fact I was close to flipping the bike, continued to lean back on the top box whilst holding my jacket preventing me from getting the weight back over the front. I actually wheelied it all the way up the ramp with the back wheel squirming right onto the vehicle deck. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I've always need to remind myself that I have panniers on especially when busy traffic so I don't remove people's door mirrors. Other than that I don't really notice them unless it's windy and they act like sails. 

Only scarey moment with luggage was on a fully laden Honda Varadero complete with panniers, top box, luggage rack complete with dry sac. It was very heavy! Add to that my wife, only 10st, but not an experienced pillion. Hit the steep loading, greasy loading ramp of the Hull ferry, front wheel lifts in the air and I couldn't get it back down as my wife, oblivious to fact I was close to flipping the bike, continued to lean back on the top box whilst holding my jacket preventing me from getting the weight back over the front. I actually wheelied it all the way up the ramp with the back wheel squirming right onto the vehicle deck. 

:D:D:D Good effort! 

I had the Givi V35's on the VFR n they were good but made the bike so feckin wide. You know its wide when you cant follow a GSA and a Multistrada between lorrys on the motorway. Angled my mirrors down before hand so i could keep an eye on them and i dont even now how i missed some cars. Was feckin lethal. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CWARD said:

thats put such a smile on my face this morning.

how to look like a total badass, while secretly bricking it!

I would like to say I styled it out but the deck hands had seen the look of relief on my face when I had reached the top. There was no hiding the fear in my bulging eyes.