Defenders

Aspman

Driven (read that as abused) lots when I served. I've tried to talk others out of buying one. Some listened, others are skint and nowhere near finished.

They're a bit like speed boats owned by people who keep them in their driveway miles away from any water. 

If you want to scratch the off roading itch then go to centre first and use their vehicles. 

Get a removable tow bar fitting and buy a small trailer to haul your junk about in. Keep you money for a more sane idea.

4 hours ago, CWARD said:

Get a removable tow bar fitting and buy a small trailer to haul your junk about in. Keep you money for a more sane idea.

That's what my friends hubby said and he's a mechanic with a Disco 3.

• Like 1

'Working Farmers' not slipper farmers & even game keepers around our way stopped using them a good few years ago and got more practical work vehicles.

Well many did.

I do miss my last one, it surprised a few fast cars at the traffic lights.

It was a 4.6 V8 Automatic on LPG without petrol built by RPI Engineering.

http://v8engines.com 

clova november snow 017.JPG

S7300777.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

Do you ever get the feeling it might be just a teeny weeny mistake to buy one :D

:blink:

But tbh if I was totally sensible I wouldn't have the beemer either.

I was looking at Daihatsu Hijet pickups for a mo but they turned out to be rarer than hens teeth.

And Ford F150s but only crazy Raptors etc were being listed. Plus they're huge.

And see Georges 110 above.... I really like that :blush:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612170668970

Not quite the same.

Edited by Aspman

Life's to short to have something sensible like that pick up :)...i will one day buy one to have in my car collection....ideally one of our units as i know the history of them & they have not been abused & i treat each one as if it was my own so all repairs are 100% & not bodged,the Defenders do have a certain charm to them....yes they are not the best to drive on the road (buy a car for that) but get a good one,look after it & it will literally go on for ever.....(well until the goverment bans all old diesels) :biggrin:

I think since I can afford to run something a bit leftfield now I've got an urge to find character.

Doesn't mean I want a bloody Alfa.

I mean there is stupid and there is Alfa stupid. At least a Landy is worth money as parts and a chassis number..

• Like 1

At least I can say I knew you whilst you still had your sanity and before you were broke :biggrin:

seriously take an expert with you to to check it over before parting with your cash. 

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

Aspman,

it will be worth calling into Aberuthven there might well be something there that takes you fancy.

(The green 90 in the top picture as it was in 2014 is in the bottom picture.)

DSCN2545.JPG

DSCN2548.JPG

Gleneagles%2c Pitlochry%2c Perth. Oct 14 061.JPG

Gleneagles%2c Pitlochry%2c Perth. Oct 14 059.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Not too far from work tbh. I should stick me nose in I suppose.

Older the better almost. Then I could run it on classic insurance and not really have any depreciation.

At least until the next silly idea enters my head

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

They build on new galvanised chassis's.

Maybe a nice V8 Petrol Automatic with an old style pickup body would cut out lots of concerns.

Now you're talking :thumbup:

I did see one original V8 being advertised. They were asking 40k for it :o

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611219951104

Next one (admittedly with 4x the mileage and 3yr older) £7k

This is nice http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705205645372

But you wonder what the bling covers and why there is a sauna in the back.

Edited by Aspman

7 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Not an Original.

See what they have, or the staff and owners have.

New Chassis, Range Rover Engine & gearbox, axles and old look.

Yeah but what about the backseat sauna :cool:

I see what you mean though, they had a 300 on a galvanized chassis for not too ridiculous money (+vat)

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

I sold my 1995 300tdi Defender 90 about 18 months ago. I had it as third owner from new with 90,000 miles back in 2007 and it never broke down. It was totally standard when I got it, I added new wheels/tyres and some underbody guards for my green laning.

They are an acquired taste and a bit like marmite.

I drove so many back in my day in the military, I knew what I was letting myself in for but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

My late father managed just over 500,000 miles on a 2 1/4 petrol series 3 and had one clutch and one valve replaced, apart from normal brake pads/servicing it ran like clockwork, then he had an early 110 for another 200,000 miles with nothing to report.

It is the only vehicle I have made money on as my 90 went up by £2k in the time I owned it :)

Edited by Defenderben

What's your ideal engine Aspman?

I used to drive an ex electricity board 110 TD5 in my last job and my current boss is nearly Land Rover potty along with a few of my collegues.

As such I got to like the TD5 power delivery and the sound is pretty cool too.

A 90 TD5 would probably be my choice but the boss has one and two of my other work mates have a 200 and a 300TDi between them so I'll have to get a Transit engined one.

Honestly if I had the choice it would be a petrol v8 but they're not common at all.

I'd only be doing a couple of thousand miles a year at most so mpg isn't really a concern.

Looking on line....

2003 110 Double cab 67k (the one at Pitairlie)

£18k inc vat.

Land Rover online valuation £5k

WeStealAnyCar  £6k

LR won't run a value against any of their own stock (no surprise really).

You'd have to be proper crazy to pay some of the main dealer prices right now.

I'll pop into strathearn Eng when I get a chance which might not be for a while. They'll be rebuilding stuff I would guess so I'd find out what's coming up.

6 hours ago, Aspman said:

Honestly if I had the choice it would be a petrol v8 but they're not common at all.

I'd only be doing a couple of thousand miles a year at most so mpg isn't really a concern.

We got 6mpg out of our 110 County V8, (per 8hr shift, it was a Police unit). It got filled up twice a shift sometimes.

• Like 1

I got 3 miles to the litre out of my 110 with the 4.6 V8 Auto on LPG while towing a car transporter & 10 litres cost £5.50 at ASDA.

220 litres in the 2 tanks gave a nice range.

(Used a bit more gas when not towing...)

Full Scottish was always fun wondering if you would die from the cholesterol or the blast.

110 interior june 2010 015 (640x480).jpg

110 interior june 2010 014 (640x480).jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

The mpg on a petrol 2 1/4 was bad enough but the V8 does sound lovely.

Had the rover V8 SDi engine set up in my old radio rebroadcast wagon, which we called a 1ton land rover in the military (big top heavy square box) not too good off road, we kept rolling them onto their sides :)

My 300tdi gave a pretty consistent 30-32mpg, the TD5 is probably similar depending on how you drive, not sure what the newer tdci will give.

• Like 2