Front Indicator replacement

I've read various posts about how difficult it is to replace the front indicators. I bought some LED replacements and I have the repair covers and plan to attack it this weekend.

For those that have done the front indicators, what's the best/easiest way to do it? Can I realistically do it by reaching behind the headlamps from the front of the car? Don't really fancy removing the front bumper unless this is the only way. Cheers

Edited by ahenners

Look forward to seeing how you get on. This is the only thing left for me to do. Fogs, and all the rear changed to cree or led but seems a ball ache to do the indicators . Can the headlamp not just be taken out. I haven't really looked into this other than reading about repair kits etc. Doesn't look a lot of room either. Good luck. My Mk2 at least the whole head lamp detached easy lift out. I love the Mk3 but everything is so difficult to do.

Thanks @silver1011 I did a search on 'front indicators" the other day and found loads of threads about the bulb type and examples of bulbs, but not the fitment process.

@arnold I'm the same, did the rear indicators and reverse lights ages ago, but given the faff of changing the front indicators I've dismissed it for so long. MK2 FL I had was much easier to get the headlamps out. Don't fancy taking the bumper off as I have the front sensors and front radar etc.

• Like 1

You can do it, as I did it a couple of weekends ago.

The way I cut the covers was to use a swiss army knife with the knife bent round to get the angle to cut into the cover. I would find a spot and push the knife into the cover, then find another spot and repeat. Every so often just push on the cover and see if it will give way. I only had to cut at most a quarter way round before the whole cover gave way.

Next problem is getting enough grip on the bulb to twist it out. My large hands barely fit into the hole to do it.

Once you have the bulb out, there are 2 little clips holding the bulb in. They are easy to break, so don't put to much pressure on it. On one side, I didn't have much wire, so ended up breaking the 2 clips on one side. So added some super glue to help hold the bulb in.

Once the bulb is back in, you can fit the covers.

The covers fit into recesses on the headlights. The screw holes don't line up vertically, So twist the covers until they sink into the recesses. I would use a small right angled rachet to screw the covers back in, as there isn't much space on the passenger side.

So can be done, but will involve swearing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arnold said:

Look forward to seeing how you get on. This is the only thing left for me to do. Fogs, and all the rear changed to cree or led but seems a ball ache to do the indicators . Can the headlamp not just be taken out. I haven't really looked into this other than reading about repair kits etc. Doesn't look a lot of room either. Good luck. My Mk2 at least the whole head lamp detached easy lift out. I love the Mk3 but everything is so difficult to do.

The headlight can be taken out. but to do that, you also have to take the front bumper off.

I did see one person did the bulbs by taking his wheels and wheel liner off, and going through that way.

29 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

One other thing. Start with the drivers side first. More space, so makes it a little easier for the first one.

Thanks, will bear that in mind! :)

If the weather is crap I might postpone to the following weekend/week as I'm then off work. Will post back once completed though, thanks everyone for the input.

So I attempted the driver's side after work this evening, and with a struggle managed to change over the driver's side indicator giving it the reach around (oo er!)

Unfortunately though, the bulbs I bought are quite long and thus some of the LEDs are too far forward and miss the reflective material inside the headlamp. It's more towards the top of the lamp than the bottom, but annoying all the same. Went for those as they claim to be 60w and I was hoping this would equate to brighter. Doubt they are genuine Cree,  but they are a lovely amber colour (rather than yellow). These are the bulbs I bought: 

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/pwy24w-amber-60w-cree-xbd-smd-12-5w-canbus-bmw-indicator-led/

Going to have to hunt for some different bulbs I think as I want to be sure the light fills the reflector correctly and sufficiently for other drivers to see.

@WayTooTall @xpower and @aki78 and anyone else that has fitted front indicator led bulbs, which bulbs did you go for, and how well do they fill the reflectors with light?

Thanks

Edited by ahenners

I think it was these, but the item has changed from 2 pieces to 4, so can't be 100% sure. They look the same

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs-Error-Free-Yellow-PWY24W-PW24W-36-SMD-LED-Bulbs-For-Audi-A3-A4-A5-Q3/32276061881.html

And you have seen the video of them in action. Think they fill the indicator quite well

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

I think it was these, but the item has changed from 2 pieces to 4, so can't be 100% sure. They look the same

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs-Error-Free-Yellow-PWY24W-PW24W-36-SMD-LED-Bulbs-For-Audi-A3-A4-A5-Q3/32276061881.html

And you have seen the video of them in action. Think they fill the indicator quite well

Thanks for that. I've just been back out and it doesn't look too bad for reflection compared to the original on the passenger side (right of image).

Those bulbs you got do look shorter which probably helps. Yours looked spot on from the video

2017-05-22_21.01.28.jpg

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ahenners said:

The removal of the orange fried egg look, and the instant on/off are definite pluses for the LEDs 

Shame the fitting of them is an pain in the rear. Unlike the rear ones which is a doddle. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, xpower said:

Thanks for that :) Is PY24W the same as PWY24W?

Edited by ahenners

• 1 year later...

So pretty much exactly a year later, I finally got round to replacing the front indicators with LEDs. Wasn't happy with the bulbs I had previously when I originally posted this topic, they were too long and didn't fire enough light back into the reflective surface of the headlamp. Been searching on/off for a while and there's not a huge amount out there in PWY24W fitment.

I found these on AliExpress a few weeks ago, so £6.15 paid and they arrived earlier this week. http://s.aliexpress.com/jUzuueQF

A side by side of the original and the new LED:

LeMG2e.jpg

And in action (left of image is LED, right halogen):

31iI5W.jpg

Happy with the result, they are brighter and maintain an amber colour. No fried egg effect in the headlamp when off either. Space was a bit tight behind the headlamps without removing the bumper or going via the wheel arches, but it is possible with the right tools :)

Edited by ahenners

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

So pretty much exactly a year later, I finally got round to replacing the front indicators with LEDs. Wasn't happy with the bulbs I had previously when I originally posted this topic, they were too long and didn't fire enough light back into the reflective surface of the headlamp. Been searching on/off for a while and there's not a huge amount out there in PWY24W fitment.

I found these on AliExpress a few weeks ago, so £6.15 paid and they arrived earlier this week. http://s.aliexpress.com/jUzuueQF

A side by side of the original and the new LED:

LeMG2e.jpg

And in action (left of image is LED, right halogen):

31iI5W.jpg

Happy with the result, they are brighter and maintain an amber colour. No fried egg effect in the headlamp when off either. Space was a bit tight behind the headlamps without removing the bumper or going via the wheel arches, but it is possible with the right tools :)

hmmm very good, nice to see them sorted

So just to confirrm, it was a 'keeping the bumper on and going through the wheel arch job'?

And what's this I hear about having to break the indicator cover and then have to replace it with a 'replacement' cover

Just now, tunedude said:

hmmm very good, nice to see them sorted

So just to confirrm, it was a 'keeping the bumper on and going through the wheel arch job'?

And what's this I hear about having to break the indicator cover and then have to replace it with a 'replacement' cover

No, it was a keeping bumper and wheel arch on job and working with the space behind the headlights in the engine bay. 

Basically used a Swiss army knife tool at an angle to cut/break the cover, then reach in and twist the bulb holder out. Replace bulb, reverse of the above. Then you have to fit a repair cover on each side. Basically a cover with a rubber seal and two screws. Part number: 5L0998295 and you need 2 (one for each side). Took about 45 mins to do the first one, and less than half that once familiar with the process on the other side.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

No, it was a keeping bumper and wheel arch on job and working with the space behind the headlights in the engine bay. 

Basically used a Swiss army knife tool at an angle to cut/break the cover, then reach in and twist the bulb holder out. Replace bulb, reverse of the above. Then you have to fit a repair cover on each side. Basically a cover with a rubber seal and two screws. Part number: 5L0998295 and you need 2 (one for each side). Took about 45 mins to do the first one, and less than half that once familiar with the process on the other side.

seems such a crap system. Why would you seal a bulb in and then have you purchase other replacement parts to fix it.

I'm planning on doing the rear indicators, as they're easy to gain access to. However, with my track record of breaking things when annoyed, I  think I'll leave these bulbs.

2 minutes ago, tunedude said:

seems such a crap system. Why would you seal a bulb in and then have you purchase other replacement parts to fix it.

I'm planning on doing the rear indicators, as they're easy to gain access to. However, with my track record of breaking things when annoyed, I  think I'll leave these bulbs.

Rear indicators, and Reverse for that matter are both very easy. None of this cover breaking nonsense. I said I'd leave the fronts because of the faff, but they were the last remaining halogen bulbs and it didn't feel "complete" without changing them to LED.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

Rear indicators, and Reverse for that matter are both very easy. None of this cover breaking nonsense. I said I'd leave the fronts because of the faff, but they were the last remaining halogen bulbs and it didn't feel "complete" without changing them to LED.

forgive me, mistyped my reply

I meant to say I will leave doing the front :blush: