Clutch pedal sticking

I wonder if anyone can help ? My Octavia is 4 years old and recently , the clutch pedal started sticking on release. It doesn't interfere with the clutch engaging or disengaging but it is a nuisance. I can overcome the sticking when it happens by putting my foot underneath the pedal and pulling it upwards ............. but it is a dangerous habit to get into. Anyone got any ideas ?

Had this on my parents Peugeot. Some plastic thing worn off and needs to be replaced. Better now before your cable breaks.

The whole thing comes with cable for pulling the clutch. Didn't take too long to replace by a friend (mechanic) and part didn't cost too much either.

Edited by Croat

Thanks for that reply. It does not happen all the time but the frequency seems to be increasing. Can you be more specific as to the name of the part and how yopu get at the part ?

Ok I called my mechanic. He says Octavia has 2 cylinders one for the clutch and on for getriba. Both need to be replaced. Sorry I don't know the part. Maybe searching the forum for manual will help. Good luck.

Peugeot had a plastic buckle on the cable puling the clutch that worn off.

Edited by Croat

There is no cable, it's a hydraulic clutch. Fault is most likely clutch release bearing which is also the slave cylinder. If your lucky it might just need a fluid change and bleeding.

16 hours ago, timxue said:

same on my oct3 3months ago, i tooke i to dealer and got it greased on somewhere, after then noise not come back anymore, free of charge.

Are you sure you read my post correctly ?  I do not have ANY noise with my clutch pedal problem !

22 hours ago, Croat said:

Ok I called my mechanic. He says Octavia has 2 cylinders one for the clutch and on for getriba. Both need to be replaced. Sorry I don't know the part. Maybe searching the forum for manual will help. Good luck.

Peugeot had a plastic buckle on the cable puling the clutch that worn off.

What do you mean by 'getriba'  ???

6 minutes ago, TJD16 said:

What do you mean by 'getriba'  ???

Sorry I ment transmission.

• 10 months later...

I did indeed have it cured ! I took it to a local who replaced the clutch master cylinder. When I collected it and drove it away , the problem was still there. I turned round and took it straight back and the garage spent another 20 minutes bleeding air from the system which cured it.  Having said 'cured it' , I still get very rare occasions when there is a faint trace of the pedal hesitating ........... but nothing to write home about. Hope that helps !

• 3 months later...

I've had the same issue and have bled the system twice. It is always much better each time I bleed it but it only lasts a few weeks. What I don't understand is that the pedal only fails to return sometimes. If there was air in the system you would think that it would happen every time. What I want to know is who thought it would be a good idea to put the slave cylinder INSIDE the clutch housing!

I have the second problem bit only very occasionally. Been told by my independent it could be the master cylinder at the pedal or the one inside the gearbox. Car is crazy diesel and 42k on clock.

14 hours ago, KevinSt said:

I've had the same issue and have bled the system twice. It is always much better each time I bleed it but it only lasts a few weeks. What I don't understand is that the pedal only fails to return sometimes. If there was air in the system you would think that it would happen every time. What I want to know is who thought it would be a good idea to put the slave cylinder INSIDE the clutch housing!

Unfortunately most modern cars have the slave cylinder incorporated within the clutch housing. Before I moved to Skoda I had a Hyundai Santa Fe, this had a clutch failure (dmf) at 80k and I had to have the clutch, the dmf, and the slave cylinder changed.... just over  £1200.... one of the reasons I moved away from larger 4x4s to the scout. Now if the same happens, at least the cost will be a little less.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Mine has started doing this, sticking when pressed and not coming all the way up when released. Having to manually pull the pedal up with my foot or hand (at a stand still). Is this going to be an expensive repair? 

• 1 year later...
On 17/06/2022 at 14:07, 59p said:

Mine has started doing this, sticking when pressed and not coming all the way up when released. Having to manually pull the pedal up with my foot or hand (at a stand still). Is this going to be an expensive repair? 

Hi there, just wondering if you got to the bottom of it?   Mine's doing the exact same now too!!

19 hours ago, Dufflebag said:

Hi there, just wondering if you got to the bottom of it?   Mine's doing the exact same now too!!

Hi no, didn't get to the bottom of it. Ended up selling the car and won't look at any German VW group car going forward, far too many reliability problems with them.

On 17/12/2023 at 00:33, Dufflebag said:

This will be a master or slave cylinder becoming compromised.  This is what happens.  Especially if you haven't used the car for a while anyway.  If you have, then fluid is escaping past the seal between the main and boost circuits.  Also check your clutch/brake fluid reservoir to make sure you aren't low on DOT4/5.1.

19 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

This will be a master or slave cylinder becoming compromised.  This is what happens.  Especially if you haven't used the car for a while anyway.  If you have, then fluid is escaping past the seal between the main and boost circuits.  Also check your clutch/brake fluid reservoir to make sure you aren't low on DOT4/5.1.

Yep, but if its the slave (always get the two mixed up) clutch and flywheel may as well get replaced and thus becomes a rather expensive repair! 

It seems to me that there is a known problem with the clutch pedal sticking. My car is a 65 reg and it has been doing this intermittent problem for a while. However, after some time, it stopped and now, it has started again but it is worse than ever.  It is no longer a joy driving my vehicle. I have been quoted £1200 to replace the cylinders!! I wonder how many accidents have been caused by this issue by people finding that they are stuck in a particular gear because their clutch pedal is stuck down to the floor and won't pop back up?  Any ideas if Skoda have done a recall anyone?

2 hours ago, Terryductyl said:

It seems to me that there is a known problem with the clutch pedal sticking. My car is a 65 reg and it has been doing this intermittent problem for a while. However, after some time, it stopped and now, it has started again but it is worse than ever.  It is no longer a joy driving my vehicle. I have been quoted £1200 to replace the cylinders!! I wonder how many accidents have been caused by this issue by people finding that they are stuck in a particular gear because their clutch pedal is stuck down to the floor and won't pop back up?  Any ideas if Skoda have done a recall anyone?

Wow £1200 to repair, assuming this includes replacing the clutch and flywheel?