Secondary cooling pump

I've got a 2015 Superb, 190hp TDI and DSG. The other day my engine light came on and I barely made it up a hill to get home. I took it in and they said they had to replace the secondary cooling pump which I believe runs after engine shutdown and cools the turbo and other things. The car has less the 50K miles, the repair was done under warranty and I am curious if anyone else experienced same or is this an isolated incident.

Hi,
I got the same problem, last month, only 3 days after I bought the car from the Skoda dealer (it was a 13K miles car owned by one of the bosses of the VW dealership).
After the engine light had been cleared, they told me that this warning came from the secondary cooling pump that had already been replaced after a Skoda service campaign in end 2015.
Till now, no more problems with it (sometimes (and fortunately), I can hear the pump doing his job ,after an intensive run, and when I leave the car).
So no, this is not an isolated incident, but our common point is 2015 !! (mine is from july 2015). 

Is there a third water pump? -I thought the secondary pump was to improve the heater performance with a cold engine and you could also set it to run using the "REST" button on the heater controls: "Residual heat function on/off - after switching off the Ignition, the remaining heat from the engine is used to continue heating the vehicle interior for about 30 minutes"

I also had it replaced (engine light on). It was fine for 3 or 4 months, then right after a regular service again the engine light was on, and it looked from the diagnosis it's the pump again, but as it was strange to occur again they took some time to look at it and they found out the problem now was a relay. After they replaced it everything seems fine now for the last month. 

Well, it's only a week later and it happened again. Same as before, loss of power and the engine light came on. Tricky to drive now because you never know if it will make it over the next hill. Of course today is Saturday so I can't take it in until Monday. So I guess it is not the secondary pump after all, maybe it is the relay like 5er said. Will let you know.

Dealer had the car for four days and yesterday they called me that it was finished. When I asked what they replaced the service rep simply said "Everything from the pump on". Seems to me like they have no idea what's causing the problem. I don't see how replacing a bunch of hoses can repair this problem. Call me crazy but I don't think this problem is related to the secondary cooling pump system. We'll see....

Not a Skoda, but my brother recently had a similar issue with his VW Crafter, one of the water pumps failed and had to be replaced. The dealer said that there are 3, one for the engine, one for the EGR system and one for the turbo cooling (supposedly) and when the one for the EGR fails, it dumps water into the DPF!

Sounds like a similar issue to me.....

• 3 years later...
On 24/05/2017 at 23:26, 5er said:

I also had it replaced (engine light on). It was fine for 3 or 4 months, then right after a regular service again the engine light was on, and it looked from the diagnosis it's the pump again, but as it was strange to occur again they took some time to look at it and they found out the problem now was a relay. After they replaced it everything seems fine now for the last month. 

do you know which relay it was???

• Like 1