Navcomic

Hi

1) The plastic trim immediately inside the car to the left and right as viewed from the rear hatch. This (white in mine) trim is vertical from the roof headliner edge to the same height as the bottom of the rear side window on each side:
Please can someone tell me how to release these two pieces of hard trim? I have a plastic non-scratch tool. The two trim panels appear to be held by two push-on fixings just down from the top and the bottom of each plastic piece.
2) Releasing the trim around the roof rear seat belt anchorage: I have noticed the two flip open covers on the hard plastic trim which presumably expose the mounting bolts. If this trim is removed, does that unfasten the roof lining in that area?  
Thanks for any hints.

Hi.

I am sorry for the tardy acknowledgement. Thank you for taking the time to post. 

What you have posted is really useful and will definitely help me get the antennae feeds down the side pillar. The overall intention is to mount two antennas, one either side of the standard antenna, in the section of the roof at the back which has increased clearance between the underside of the roof and the roof lining. The roof lining should not be too much of a problem as it will only be rear part which will be 'persuaded' wide enough from the upper hatch seal to get my hand in once I have removed the roof rear seat belt (which should let me check for clearance between the rear roof seat belt housing and the intended antenna site on the near side between the near side edge of the roof and the standard antenna - approximately half way between the two.).

Does anyone know where I can find out the location of the curtain airbag tanks as I obviously do not want to upset anything by slightly lowering the roof lining or drilling the two holes (followed by 12mm q-max cutters). The comment in the linked post comments about the gas tanks being above the roof lining and, given the increased room at the back, it may be possible that the tanks are located in that area - but I have not seen anything thus far. 

Thank you again.

Do the airbags have gas tanks?  I thought they worked on an explosive solid (sodium azide) which, when ignited, gives off a load of nitrogen quickly.  Still, you don't want to be drilling into that either, and seeing this chemical reaction first hand.

Again, Many Thanks. I did not realise that was a possibility. It would seem logical to use a (rather quick!) reaction to generate the gas as keeping the gas in tanks is, I now realise, somewhat impractical and bulky.

I just now need to know how to remove the very rear (either side of the hatch opening) white vertical plastic trim between the window 'sill' and the roof lining. Does anyone know? This panel should be removable without first removing the lower big rear side panel - as seen removed in the previous tow bar electrics link. I might then be able to pass the feeder down behind the large rear panel. Thanks.

I needed to remove the side panels in mine and used the photos in that link to guide me. The white trims are held with one screw behind the little plug that may say 'airbag' on it (indeed like the poster said in his guide there were no airbags behind the trims on mine either). Once the screw was removed, I could unclip the white trim starting from the bottom and working up. You can see in the upper photo there are clips next to the side window as well as at the bottom of the trim.

You can also see in the upper photo that the white trim covers the lower large side panel securing screws - so the white trim has to be removed first.

Jim

I think Navcomic wants the D pillar trim - the pics show the C pillar trim. I went through various extremely useful threads on here when installing a front and rear dashcam - I haven't had time to put the pictures I took into a guide yet (I didn't need to remove the C pillar when feeding the cable aft).

The D pillar trim I pulled from the rear vertical edge towards the front. The pictures show the attaching metal clips and three plastic 'guide' clips along the bottom edge. This trim piece actually came off pretty easily - certainly easier than the tailgate trim...

Hope these pictures help!

TqsYoP.jpg

wcCoXe.jpg

PZMznq.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aerofurb said:

I think Navcomic wants the D pillar trim - the pics show the C pillar trim.

Oops! you are absolutely correct! - My mistake....:blush:

• Like 1

Guys: amazing. Many Thanks for both your replies.  I think that once I have temporarily removed the roof seat belt from its fixing through the roof lining to check for clearance and the general situation between it and the underside of the antenna base and to increase the wiggle room under the lining, as well as removing the two side panels as aerofurb describes, plus all the other info kindly supplied, I should now be able to get enough room under the lining to cut using a q-max cutter plus be able to run the feeder down to the boot floor. Now, I just have to wait for some decent weather.....

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

A pleasure to help - it's amazing the difference when doing a job when you've got pics of what you're attacking. This forum was worth its weight in gold when I was dismantling TIBET III to wire up the dashcam (a thread in itself to follow soon).

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 28/05/2017 at 10:46, muddyjim said:

Hi,

This useful old post from Joel Shoemark may help you:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264086-yeti-tow-bar/

It includes these photos:

P1040819_zpsab932ed6.jpg

P1040820_zpsa3bbb04e.jpg

Jim

Does anyone know the bolt size thread and length of the red circled hole? Dropped it and cant find it for the life of me.