Fuel consumption

Hi Folks, i just joined this group.

I've just bought a 2014 superb 2.0 diesel dsg estate, just wondering on average what distance you are getting for a full tank?

I'm getting around 900km for a full tank on motor way driving been pretty frugal on the pedal would this be normal?

Depends on how much you get into your tank and how empty you let it get. I only fill up to the first click (after being told by a German dealer to be careful not to overfill after I triggered an EML after "filling" up in Luxembourg) and if I've run reasonably low can only get in about 52 litres

If that's the same with yours then that's 52/900 * 100 = 5.78 l/100km = approx 49mpg. Best to do some full tank to full tank measurements or use something like Spritmonitor (see https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/720963.html for mine as an example)  or Fuelly ( http://www.fuelly.com/ )

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

And depends on the weather, traffic, your right foot, car load, wind direction and types of roads. 

I have the 170 DSG (you don't say 140 or 170) and average brim to brim 42mpg (worked out via spreadsheet). 1.8TSi twindoor averaged 33mpg over the same roads. I have 18 roundabouts on my way to work and mixture of traffic densities. Everything from 30mph to NSL as well. 

4 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Depends on how much you get into your tank and how empty you let it get. I only fill up to the first click (after being told by a German dealer to be careful not to overfill after I triggered an EML after "filling" up in Luxembourg) and if I've run reasonably low can only get in about 52 litres

If that's the same with yours then that's 52/900 * 100 = 5.78 l/100km = approx 49mpg. Best to do some full tank to full tank mearurements or use something like Spritmonitor (see https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/720963.html for mine as an example)  or Fuelly ( http://www.fuelly.com/ )

Hi big john think I will start to use the app to track the consumption a bit more accurately. Good to know about not over filling never knew that, Thanks! 

53 minutes ago, Alfie1 said:

Hi big john think I will start to use the app to track the consumption a bit more accurately. Good to know about not over filling never knew that, Thanks! 

Definitely an issue on the petrol. I couldn't speak much German and the Skoda tech guy couldn't speak much English however he managed "Von click - HALTE"

I find the Spritmonitor easy to use - you can really spot different driving circumstances eg my last fill today was down slightly as I've been exploring the ups and downs of the peak district. It also logs which tyres you have on (Summer, Winter or All season) and which fuel you are putting in

Edited by bigjohn

Since June 2013, 18 month old Superb Twindoor CR140, manual, single occupancy, empty boot, Shell regular fuel, serviced every 10-15K.

124 mile daily commute, mainly NSL & dual carriageway (60-80mph), no stop/start traffic.

213 fuel stops, £11,353 of diesel and 106,344 miles driven.

Average = 48.79 mpg*

Anywhere between 490 and 550 miles to a tank (780 - 890 km's).

* manually calculated, on-board computer largely ignored. Designed to flatter and no doubt programmed by the same guys behind the emissions scandal.

Edited by silver1011

17 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

* manually calculated, on-board computer largely ignored. Designed to flatter and no doubt programmed by the same guys behind the emissions scandal.

Indeed - If you use Spritonitor or Fuelly it eventually calculates an accurate fuel consupmtion over many fills calculated on real figures (not on-boad computer) - It also takes a few fills to "average" out potentially different fill up click off points between filing stations/pumps

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

124 mile daily commute, mainly NSL & dual carriageway (60-80mph), no stop/start traffic.

Hmm - my 64 mile daily commute - lots of stop/start and 40/50mph speed limit roads (generally travelling at lower speeds!!). That's why I've got a petrol - route not fantastic for DPF's 

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Since June 2013, 18 month old Superb Twindoor CR140, manual, single occupancy, empty boot, Shell regular fuel, serviced every 10-15K.

213 fuel stops, £11,353 of diesel and 106,344 miles driven.

Average = 48.79 mpg*

Anywhere between 490 and 550 miles to a tank (780 - 890 km's).

Hey Silver,

I'm interested on what your on-board computer reads on a typical daily commute. Appreciate there will be many variables affecting the reading but just an approx range would be useful. Want to get a sense of how much extra the maxi-dot 'adds' on.

Edited by nazitf

I've had my car 6 months, up until March using supermarket fuel I was averaging approx 45mpg, I have now swapped to branded fuel, the last 10 fill ups average 49.8, that figure does include some of the supermarket fill ups. All monitored using Fuelly over the past 6000 miles.

So ESSO that in much of the UK is delivered by Greenergy that produces fuels for Tesco.

And Greenergy that shares Port Facilities and storage in the UK with Royal Dutch Shell.

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

So unless Premium Diesel it will be likely Diesel like all Diesel.

(& unless Super Unleaded Petrol, in 97 or 99 ron it will be 95 ron unleaded like other producers 95 ron unleaded.)

Edited by Awayoffski