VRS 245 driven by press

13 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

Little as in short &/or not overweight?

We aren't tall, 5'10 & 5'4", but we aren't skinny either........

(We are quite comfy in our current fleet, are the Leon's seats that much smaller / closer together than a Mk 7 Golf?)

DC

Leon screen is too raked and front door opening seems small for me (about six two and big boned) so too difficult to get in and out of.  

I don't find the same problem at all with the Octavia or Golf 7 (although I've only sat in a Golf briefly). 

I sat in a Hyundai i10 last year and don't remember that being as difficult.

Edited by juan27

7 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Leon screen is too raked and front door opening seems small for me (about six two and big boned) so too difficult to get in and out of.  Don't find the same problem at all with the Octavia or Golf (although I've only sat in a Golf briefly).

Thanks.

We "might" fit, so we'll have to find a local demonstrator.

The Mk3 Octavia is a noticeably bigger car all round than the Golf or Leon, & if it wasn't lacking in refinement we would have already swapped our Superb for a vRS.

Perhaps surprisingly, the Mk 7 Golf is big enough to be comfortable, (in the front seats), the fit & finish seems to be "semi-premium" but it's noisy on the OEM Bridgestones.

For a long trip we still prefer the Superb, even though it's a little "old-school", it's quick enough (252 ps) & a relaxing drive too.

We are looking for a "sensible" fun car to replace our 7 year old EOS, (also remapped, 253 ps...) & a Cupra ST is a contender.

DC

• Like 1

15 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

We have found that very few peeps notice our R, perhaps 'cos it's an estate & finished in "Re-sale Grey"......

DC

That's good to know, that was/is my choice colour for that reason, try and blend it in a bit. The Grey seems to be the rarest colour second hand. My biggest worry is someone nicking it. 

5 hours ago, matt1chelski said:

That's good to know, that was/is my choice colour for that reason, try and blend it in a bit. The Grey seems to be the rarest colour second hand. My biggest worry is someone nicking it. 

Limestone is a nice colour, especially in sunlight, & a for an R being a likely target for thieves, it seems to be a problem in some areas. 

We don't worry to much about public parking places, but it's always garaged at night. There are plenty of other tempting cars parked in the street......  

On 08/06/2017 at 14:19, juan27 said:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. My Mk2 VRS is by far the best car I've ever owned and I have looked at multiple options to replace it including BMW & Mercedes (and the Superb) before coming round to the fact that another Octavia VRS Estate is exactly what I need. 

@juan27Sounds exactly like where I was 2 months ago. Had Mk2 vRS for 7 years from new. Loved it.

Come replacement time I looked closely at BMW & the Superb  (second hand this time) & settled on the same again. 

Bought a Mk3 vRS 220 on 15th May. Very pleased. Brilliant car. 

@themanwithnoaim You're going to love the 245! I'm very jealous. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2017 at 22:02, old newbie2 said:

Limestone is a nice colour, especially in sunlight, & a for an R being a likely target for thieves, it seems to be a problem in some areas. 

We don't worry to much about public parking places, but it's always garaged at night. There are plenty of other tempting cars parked in the street......  

Yeah, without tempting fate most of the thefts seem to be in and around big cities, Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Manchester etc. It'd be parked on the road too so less chance of them knowing the house they need to get in. Plus, as you say, when I look about there are lots of nice cars about, every time I see a R I really like the look of them so I think I need to go for it if I really want one. 

• Like 1

I think Matt and oldnewbie are referring to the current plague of Golf R thefts, and not just those with keyless entry. There have been a number taken after aggravated burglary of homes to obtain keys.

Parking away from your own home is one option, and leaving identical looking but fake keys lying around in your house is another - it would at least slow the scum down and hopefully they might give up.

• Like 2

The only problem with parking a few houses down because of being worried someone may break in looking for the keys is others on your street may have the same idea. Imagine if one of your neighbours parks an even more desirable car on the street just outside your house, your house could now be the next one to be broken into.

James

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Orville said:

I think the theft problem relates to KESSY signals being "grabbed". There's a simple fix for that - don't order KESSY as an option.

Problem is, SWMBO insisted on KESSY...... Answer, keep keys a a Faraday cage, (steel tin, with a steel lid works well) & the signal grabber won't work.

I've experimented & with the key in the cage, the car won't recognize its existence even when standing next to a door, but remove the lid & some signal can escape (!).

DC

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Superman001 said:

The only problem with parking a few houses down because of being worried someone may break in looking for the keys is others on your street may have the same idea. Imagine if one of your neighbours parks an even more desirable car on the street just outside your house, your house could now be the next one to be broken into.

James

I think the majority of these car thieves want in and out without being detected, so I'd expect/hope they'd want to know 100% the house they're going into is the right house for the car. Driving down a row of terraced houses with a short supply of unallocated on street parking, any car could belong to any house. If I were them, I'd spend another 15 minutes driving about for one sat on a driveway. 

Thats how I'm trying to rationalise it in my head anyway. If they really want the car they'll have it, BUT I'm hoping that if you make it hard enough they'll find an easier target, especially with something common and mass produced. 

In answer to the other posts, Golfs and S3s seem to be particular targets in the UK, either for export or for bank jobs pretty much.